User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


4 Years

Today I am lucky enough to be able to say I am married for 4 years!

I'm lucky because it was the best choice I ever made, and because I secretly believe it was a gift that came through a TINY little window, given by fate or destiny or whatever. The kicker is that my husband is probably the best husband anyone could ever ask for.

I think fate played a really big part in bringing him onto my wayward path to hell... the events leading up to us meeting are quite astronomical. I love to sit and play this game where I think of all the tiny little details that, had they been different, or even off by 1 month or 1 week (!) would have made our crossing paths miss each other.

In a nutshell it worked like this:

We met in Pretoria, South Africa in 2000, during a period of 3 months where our seperate lives there actually overlapped each other in the same social circle/neighbourhood/grad school. Here's some of the "1000 degrees of fate" that I mull over:

For me to even have been in SA that year, the Tanzanian Embassy had to get bombed by terrorists in 1999. I was supposed to be THERE, doing my studies. So the good folks giving the grant I had recieved told me I better choose somewhere else. I can't believe I picked Pretoria, because there was hardly a reason to... I didn't really LONG to go there or anything...

For me to even have gotten that grant, I had to apply for it, which I did in a fit of tears and sorrow and emotional turmoil, in a previous relationship in Australia. Applying for that opportunity was a typical overly drastic Jill-cryout for a sign from the ex-bf that this 3-year relationship (which involved serious issues such as co-habitation and immigration, actually had any sort of quality or meaning). Obviously it didnt. I was off and he didn't stop me.

I could go on and on... about how the events leading up to that point stemmed from the university which I chose when I was 17... by total and complete coisidence, etc., etc., but basically I just wanted to write down the jist of 1 or 2 things. Because I really do believe in fate, but mostly when I think about the guy I married and how on a normal cosmic plane, I never would have ever been so lucky to just snag this one.

0 Responses to “4 Years”

Post a Comment



© 2006