User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


The dangers of reading

I'm not sure if it's really smart to be reading Caitlin Davies book "Place of Reeds" at the moment, but I'm doing it anyway. I mean, it's not like I don't know the facts and figures, but reading it from someone else's non-fiction book (which reads so well you forget it's NOT fiction) is a bit surreal.

It's a beautiful book actually. It's even more goosebump-inducing because I've been to these places, the same streets, shops, buildings, everywhere she talks about. My company is working on a project in the exact same patch of land she's talking about in one part. And it's also amazing because I know I'll be seeing it all again soon. She's a really good writer who does imagery and descriptions of places, smells, the air, etc., wonderfully. I just get spooked by how much she reminds me of Me. Therefore, the natural progression of worry ensues and I have to pinch myself from time to time, in the middle of a heart-wrenching chapter.

Like, it's no different than watching "The Constant Gardener", or "Hotel Rwanda". Everyone freaks out on me about our upcoming move when they watch those 2 movies... but honestly they don't really bother me, they just tell a story of something that happened in the past and was SO outrageous that someone had to make a dang Hollywood movie about it. It's not like, everyday events that happen to every joe schmoe who lives in Africa.

Actually it's probably better to read the book and just leave it at that, than the associated internet reviews?

0 Responses to “The dangers of reading”

Post a Comment



© 2006