Party of the Century
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 03 July 2006 at 7/03/2006 08:22:00 pm.
And this wasn't even the HALF of it....
Hosting an awesome party is kind of like the biggest ego boost anyone can ever have. It's such a trip. People are talking about it the next day, people who missed it are kicking themselves because they've heard it was fabulous... no one wants to LEAVE... such a rush. Not to mention all the compliments and your new reputation of being a gracious host... MAN it's been awhile since I had a reputation for anything noteworthy!
The great backyard bbq of '06 went even better than we hoped. About 15 gung-ho punters came to enjoy the festivities which kicked off around 7. It was a veritable Noah's Ark of friends invited... 2 x aussies; 2 x dutchies; 2 x malaysians; 2 x yanks; 3 x dogs; and the remainder of irish.
First we all crammed in my sitting room and watched the Brazil game. That was DEFINITELY the most people we've ever had in that room. Hot as a sauna by the end of the game. People hanging off of chair arms and crunched up on the floor with dogs in laps, screaming at the tv and drinking really good German beer.
When the game ended, the fires started. BBQ lept to life, and so did our little garden chimeny. Let's just say the rest of the night was spent drankin' & burnin'! My musical selection for the evening (13 hours of music!!!) was a smash hit, and everyone was being thorougly social, and it was just PERFECT. Great weather, great vibe, and all the right people. Lots of drinking games and messing around and smashing things up. We (ahem) got rid of that extra dog house. With a pick axe. Ah the drunken revel. I was drinking Toe-J's all night (Tequila + OJ) and managed to finish the whole bottle with the help of some of the boys who were feeling game. And Pádraig brought me a special bottle (WITH worm!) which we got half into as well. The bathtub started out COMPLETELY full of bottles & cans that everyone provided, and ended empty. Now THATS the way it should be.
About sunrise (+- 4:30 am) we fired up the bbq AGAIN and had some breakfast. Then people started trickling out. The last troopers (Alan & Audrey) left around 6:30. Well except for the few that were passed out in various rooms in the house. Steve, Madonna, and Pádraig. My baby and I cleaned up and hit the hay. I felt amazingly good the next day. That's because I stayed on the tequila all night and didnt mix my booze. Well, with the exception of the bottle of champagne Vincey & I shared during the football game. But that was just incidental.
An 11-hour party that involves meat, fire, good friends, blissful summer evenings and great music is always fun. But this one was extra fun. Kinda made me sad, in a way. All the people from my Irish life that I like, were there. And I know I'll miss them now. There were a few special moments that I just had to stop and make a mental note of, because those are the ones I'll want to take with me in 5 months' time. But just for my own safekeeping, here are some photos to help make that happen.
Sometime after the eating part ended, we decided to rid the backyard of the extra (wonky) puppy house... Tim and Kevin really finished it off famously.
Oh, and the hammock made a fine bbq accessory. Except in cases where it made people sick. And attracted puppies.

Hosting an awesome party is kind of like the biggest ego boost anyone can ever have. It's such a trip. People are talking about it the next day, people who missed it are kicking themselves because they've heard it was fabulous... no one wants to LEAVE... such a rush. Not to mention all the compliments and your new reputation of being a gracious host... MAN it's been awhile since I had a reputation for anything noteworthy!
The great backyard bbq of '06 went even better than we hoped. About 15 gung-ho punters came to enjoy the festivities which kicked off around 7. It was a veritable Noah's Ark of friends invited... 2 x aussies; 2 x dutchies; 2 x malaysians; 2 x yanks; 3 x dogs; and the remainder of irish.
First we all crammed in my sitting room and watched the Brazil game. That was DEFINITELY the most people we've ever had in that room. Hot as a sauna by the end of the game. People hanging off of chair arms and crunched up on the floor with dogs in laps, screaming at the tv and drinking really good German beer.
When the game ended, the fires started. BBQ lept to life, and so did our little garden chimeny. Let's just say the rest of the night was spent drankin' & burnin'! My musical selection for the evening (13 hours of music!!!) was a smash hit, and everyone was being thorougly social, and it was just PERFECT. Great weather, great vibe, and all the right people. Lots of drinking games and messing around and smashing things up. We (ahem) got rid of that extra dog house. With a pick axe. Ah the drunken revel. I was drinking Toe-J's all night (Tequila + OJ) and managed to finish the whole bottle with the help of some of the boys who were feeling game. And Pádraig brought me a special bottle (WITH worm!) which we got half into as well. The bathtub started out COMPLETELY full of bottles & cans that everyone provided, and ended empty. Now THATS the way it should be.
About sunrise (+- 4:30 am) we fired up the bbq AGAIN and had some breakfast. Then people started trickling out. The last troopers (Alan & Audrey) left around 6:30. Well except for the few that were passed out in various rooms in the house. Steve, Madonna, and Pádraig. My baby and I cleaned up and hit the hay. I felt amazingly good the next day. That's because I stayed on the tequila all night and didnt mix my booze. Well, with the exception of the bottle of champagne Vincey & I shared during the football game. But that was just incidental.
An 11-hour party that involves meat, fire, good friends, blissful summer evenings and great music is always fun. But this one was extra fun. Kinda made me sad, in a way. All the people from my Irish life that I like, were there. And I know I'll miss them now. There were a few special moments that I just had to stop and make a mental note of, because those are the ones I'll want to take with me in 5 months' time. But just for my own safekeeping, here are some photos to help make that happen.
Sometime after the eating part ended, we decided to rid the backyard of the extra (wonky) puppy house... Tim and Kevin really finished it off famously.
Oh, and the hammock made a fine bbq accessory. Except in cases where it made people sick. And attracted puppies.
0 Responses to “Party of the Century”
Post a Comment