User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Revival

I'm so glad Sarah & I do this mp3 swap challenge that we do every week. The game has really been the "gift that keeps on giving" throughout it's wee lifespan, already... So far it's managed to reacquaint me with at least 3 or 4 artists/bands/tunes/etc. that have managed to fall by the wayside of my life. Particularly the challenges that begin with "song that reminds you of ______" or "song that you heard when ____" or something along those lines.

This week I had the blessing of being forced to get out an old John Prine album that probably hasn't gotten any attention since the late 90's. Yeah there's the associated memories I'd always think were too uncomfortable to get out & dust off, which must be stared down in order to release the CD out of the old CD cupboard. But overall, it's an awakening of a corner of my brain that has lied dormant for so long, so long that those memories I thought I was too scared to stare down actually appear pretty silly and pathetic.

It's been so nice to have (90's)John out of retirement (I already had "old" John Anthology in the mp3 garage, but that's different). I realize I've missed him dearly. This week's challenge even inspired me to get out multiple retired-90's-Johns and upload them in their entirety onto GOD & iTunes. We've been bonding significantly over the last 48 hours. It's nice. Like reuniting with an old friend and remembering why you like them so much. Not eerie and uncomfortable at all*.

"And I find it real surprising
for myself to hear me say
that everything is cool,
everything's o.k."
--JP

*Now if I can only get the Jayhawks and Allman Brothers back into that category, I'll be set.

0 Responses to “Revival”

Post a Comment



© 2006