User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Grievances et al

Grievance of the day Pt. 1: Mother.... just for something different.
What she does is, she sends these emails where the subject line (ALWAYS IN CAPITALS) says something to the effect of: "HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU"

Then follows it up with (in the body of the message) the proof:
"Just reviewed emails from the past several weeks and realized that the last note I got from you was when you asked for my Heath Bar cake recipe on 9/21. "

(As if there was going to be some debate on the topic of whether or not she *had* actually heard from me or something... like if I got amnesia and maintained that indeed I had said something to her since 9/21. ugh.)

I suppose in all fairness to the Mominator, she's getting better. She's learning to send these checkuppy-emails with at least SOME usefulness in them. Like this one, I got a paragraph that said she & the dad-unit are busy with work, and a sentence about the garden (even a bit about how the new trellis and pergola were inspired by the garden of moi!) as well as an actual sentiment, in the way of "Would love to hear how things are going there." Uncannily non passive-agressive. No remarks about how B.S's mom hears from her all the time, and how isn't it just so nice how some daughters keep in touch so well. I have to admit, there's some progress there.

Now in fairness to me, they do read our BW blog, so I mean, hell, they know we're not dead.

Whatever. We're not a tight-knit little clan and quite frankly I'm glad. I see freedom in the fact that I can go without contact for 27 days and have the worst reprocussion be an email with an annoying capitalised subject line. Segue to Grievance of the Day Pt. 2: Close-knit clan-type families are extra ruthlessly peeving me off at the moment! Like.... ones who.... no wait, like the in-laws for example!! There's more stories on that one than Oprah has stretch marks, but myself and the Mr. are at a point where we've had it up to *here* with that freakishly cultish family as confirmed last night when we were reading the Family Magazine.

The Family Krantje (magazine) comes out every month compiled and edited by my nice 16 year old SIL. Everyone writes a few paragraphs about what they've been doing all month and sends it to her, the acting editor. It's a cute little idea and god knows I can see 16 year olds on the streets of Cork who'd be much better off in life if they'd be sitting behind a computer compiling and editing a family krantje. (Rather than sniffing glue, having babies, and puking their guts out on the sidewalk. Obviously.) And for what it's worth, I know she came up with the idea mainly as a gesture to her big bro + me, being that we're the only ones who don't live in the proverbial Giant Family Love Pocket. You know, an effort at keeping abreast of our crazy "stuff" and what not.

I'm just so sick of having to read about and even THINK about the fact my suck-ass BIL and his wife are soooooooooo excited that they've just received planning permission to build their new house ON THE SAME PROPERTY of my MIL/FIL. I'm so sick of reading and thinking about how SIL No.1 is loving the cold autumn weather because the "house is so warm and cozy with everyone at home together being all warm and cuddly". (The girl is 18!!! or is it 19? arent you meant to be out on the town, or at least living SOMEWHERE ELSE at 18-19??) I'm so sick of reading about and then having to process the concept of BIL No.2 physically bending over backwards so that all his college classes fall on M-W, whereby he can drive 3 hours home every Wednesday night and BE WITH THE FAMILY and work on the FARM for the other 4 days in the week "which is the way he likes it!" eeeeshh. And sleep in his twin bed at age 21 and share 1 bathroom with his 3 sisters and eat mommy's potatoes and nod in agreement with absolutely everything daddy lectures on at the family dinner table.

CRIKEY I just have this vomitous feeling once again.
It reminds me of my aunt/uncle/cousins in NE. That whole ~closer than this~ thing. Weirds the fuck out of me, to be precise. The whole "we're overseas for 6 days on our first holiday alone in 25 years but we have to phone in and check in on the 20+something-year-old kids!!!"

OK look, I'm sorry. I know one of my dearest friends in the world had her MOTHER as her Maid of Honor in her wedding but that just does not even register on the "normal" scale for me, and this is my damn blog, dammit.

What really freaks us out is how proud the MIL/FIL are of this freaky little clan thing that they've set up for themselves. They just.plain.love it. Dad LOVES it when his very thoughts and philosophies come out of their naive mouths ver batum when they get into these big FAMILY POW WOWS at the dinner table every night. Even when they were interviewed for some freaky farmer news article in the local paper, they go on and on and on ad nauseum about how "it's just so satisfying when you see your whole family loving and committing their lives to the farm... ALL our family loves our farm life.... we're all so happy here together..." blah blah blah friggin blah.

Granted they openly mourn the (figurative) loss of their oldest son. They talk now about how they "knew something was going wrong" with him when he turned 16 and went to Moscow. I suppose that was the long downward spiral into INDEPENDENCE that still turns their stomachs to this day. (Surprisingly enough, none of the other 5 kids were ever allowed, since then, to go on the annual school international exchange week!) Hannes talks all the time about how he literally saw them make a conscious decision to change their parenting patterns and how he was raised completely differently than the other kids, after they noticed "how he was turning out". Well I guess they got what they wanted-- 5 Kids who are too scared to leave the nest and go off to (gasp) COLLEGE, kids who do that whole "my mom is my BFF" BS, kids who want to talk like daddy, think like daddy, vote like daddy, BE daddy. AAGHH! 5 little miniature bungalows strewn about the family property, each with a kid and kid's spouse and kid's kids blossoming up from the stink of the superfarm cow pastures. Living within 5 metres of each other, JUST IN CASE someone has a problem and mommy can run over and fix it all for them! When they're 35! Handy dandy so that mommy can just WALK ON IN and start the laundry whenever she sees fit! Maybe there's a light on at some oddly late hour of the evening? Daddy can go investigate!

Now I'm just winding myself up. But MAN every month it's the same thing. An update on how everyone loves everyone and how everyone's so glad that everyone loves everyone else (and everyone loves the same shit as everyone else).

Gross.
H made me laugh eventually after we were done f'ing and blinding about all the nonsense: "well if you follow statistics, they'll be in for a rude awakening at some stage... Look at the odds of having that many kids! Isn't the divorce rate at something like 50%? That means that at least 3 of the little princess/prince perfects in that brood is gonna get it! Or become a lesbian... or a drug dealer... "

Or even worse, what, find their own 2 feet and a unique brain?

Grievance over.

0 Responses to “Grievances et al”

Post a Comment



© 2006