User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


A Tribute to one of my Greatest Loves


Bombay Sapphire.
I was lustfully pondering Bombay this morning over my morning coffee (as you do) and it occurred to me just how much I really do love gin. All my friends make fun of my love for gin. Particularly the South African crowd. They call it an "oude tannie drinkie" (an Afrikaans wrinkly, geriatric aunt reference). Or Rick, mostly because he thinks I have a secret stash hidden in my bottom drawer at work. But that's not gin, that's just my own unusual ability to be totally mental at all hours of the day. If I ever feel under the weather or somewhat sickly, the first thing he always says is "well if you'd stop drinking GIN all day..." or, "go home and get some rest, take some TheraFlu.... AND NOT WITH GIN!"
I feel I've reached four really great accomplishments in life.
1) I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in 2000.
2) I got the Mr. to acquire a taste for red wine
3) I got the Mr. to acquire a taste for Bombay gin.
4) I got the Mother-in-Law to acquire a taste for Bombay gin.
This morning as I was admiring the greatness of Bombay Sapphire, I picked up the book that the Mr. got me, called "Sapphire and Ice". It's a book of cocktails and bars selected for Bombay Sapphire by Jamie Walker (Head of Mixology at The Bombay Sapphire Experience, Vinopolis, London). It's a really good book. It's a celebration, that most likely only I can appreciate, of the cocktail moment itself, and of what Bombay Sapphire can bring to it. It's not a "how to mix a drink"-book, it's a book specifically dedicated to the especially balanced and versatile taste of Bombay. It's focus is on real cocktails that really marry the uniqueness of the Blue Bottle and whatever else will complement it's unmatchable flavour. So as not to overpower, for example, the taste of Coriander (from Morocco) hint in the taste of Bombay. Or wipe out the subtle flavour of Almonds (from Spain) that lightly infuses the vapours that come off the lovely liquid.
There are 10 botanicals in Bombay Sapphire. From all over the world. The incredible balance that they've reached at Bombay Sapphire is unquestionable. No single ingredient dominates. This is imperative when experiencing the taste climax of a really good cocktail. The formula has remained the same since 1761, regardless of import prices on these herbs and spices. I won't go into the specifics, but there is a website. It's an enchanting website, with really BombaySapphire-appropriate trance music in the background. www.bombaysapphire.com
Full of information. And a really amazing gallery of special glasses designed just for Bombay, which are entered in the design competition every year. They really are works of art, totally deservable of a truly exceptional drink.
The Cocktail Moment is something most people my age take for granted these days. The Get-Drunk-Quick mentality has totally eclipsed the magic of a decent drink. I know, I don't have much room to talk. But when it comes to Bombay, that's different. I just won't drink a real cocktail with petroleum-vapours-gin. When a real cocktail moment is right, it's wonderful. Cocktails are an occasion. A little of the past. A little of the future. "They're theatre".
As an end to my unrealistically loving tribute to Bombay Gin, I will add my special cocktail choice of the day to this blog entry. It combines what could possibly be my 2 favourite palatable things in the world: Gin and Champagne. Only to be enjoyed with Bombay, of course.
The French 75.
Shake 20ml Bombay Sapphire, 15ml freshly-squeezed lemon juice, and 15ml sugar syrup with ice and strain into a glass. Then top up with champagne and lightly stir. This cocktail was created by Harry MacElhone in 1025. It was named after the 75 field gun used by the French army during WWI.
*By the way. The first Martini? French court composer J.P.A. Martini, in 1793... began with a cocktail of gin and white wine. Only much, much, MUCH later, in the 1880's, did some guy in San Francisco bring vermouth to the party. And even then it was completely different. Bitters. Maraschino. A whole GLASS of vermouth. eeww.
I guess I love gin.
I really really love gin.
ahhh.

0 Responses to “A Tribute to one of my Greatest Loves”

Post a Comment



© 2006