User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


The cheer heard 'round the planet


oh. boy.

The answer is yes, you'd think the Dems had won an election in Ireland, in fact! I can't remember another mid-term election in my whole lifetime, but I'll always remember this one. They won't shut up about it in Europe. I love reading the articles. Some of my favourite bites from the last 48 hours:

"they hoped the Democratic takeover of the House of Representatives would force President Bush to adopt a more conciliatory approach to global crises, and teach a president many see as a “cowboy” a lesson in humility."

"Regardless of the effect on world events, global giddiness that Bush was finally handed a political black-eye was almost palpable."

That's better than I could ever say it.

OK now politics aside, why the hell am I so sad about the Spears-Federline divorce?
Seriously. I feel sad. And I don't understand why! I must be having a midlife crisis or something... I mean, I dislike that girl with the intensity of a thousand orgasms. I DESPISE all the attention these people get for no reason.... why should I give a toss, when the whole world knew it wouldn't work from the beginning? (not to mention I don't even know these people - duh!) Probably because I always root for the underdog I guess. And I never like anyone to give up without a fight, particularly when the opposing side is like 500 million people who worship the tabloids, and gossip columnists! It's sad. I mean they have like 2 babies and a few dogs or something. Who knows. I just feel bad about it. I thought that their matching Kountry-fried trashiness was kind of cute.

Speaking of celebrity divorces that annoy me, there's been a lot this year. Is that something new? Or have I only just been made aware of something I always ignored, by living in Ireland where Tabloid news makes the front page of our "real" newspapers and the first segments of our "real" radio/tv news? Maybe that's it? But here are the ones I've mourned recently. Seriously. I mourn for celebrity divorces. That is SO MESSED UP. I need to get the hell out of here!!!!!

1. Reese & Ryan. Man they were so cute & well-dressed. Always acted really mature & adored each other. Appeared to be "smart", allowing one to think they could actually make good decisions and solve problems. And looked like twins. gotta hate that.

2. Dave & Carmen. I had high hopes. Mostly because I liked how they just openly displayed their intensity and so on. OK the MTV wedding was overboard. But still... I believed the whole "til death do us part" campaign & the blood & passion & everything.

3. Nick & Jessica. Hate 'em. But believed that whole "wholesome mid-america christians who don't believe in divorce and grow old together" thing. Also another case of a matching couple. Well accessorised. Nice hair. Cute. Can I just say that I saw it coming though? I know I said I believed it, but I did see it coming. I blame "Dukes of Hazzard".

4. Heather Locklear & Richie Sambora. My favourite kind of no-hope volatile celebrity mix: the rock n roller + fashionable actress type. But their sheer longevity gave me hope and I'll always remember some interview like 10 years ago where HL said that RS wrote her a love letter per day since the day that they got married. Then he had a hand-made box commissioned for her, made out of the same wood as his guitar, that she keeps them all in. aw shucks. No really, I had hope, even when I knew the odds.

5. Kate & Chris. That one hurt. As per the above. First of all I love the Black Crowes, so yeah I'm biased. And I don't hate Kate. Again that whole "smart" thing coloured my vision, plus the fact she seems so earthy and negative-ego and I thought the typical celebrity curse of "greener pastures" thing wouldn't really plague her. (We all know it would never be CHRIS who would leave I mean come on!) So I approved of that one. Which is the main thing-- not that I ever really thought it was a sure-thing, but I was betting on this one to be the anomaly. Particularly because KH was known to be truly inspired by her mom's successful long-term commitment, and particularly because well, I didn't see her as another Yoko, infecting one of my generation's only really good rock bands. (they were defunct anyway)


OK there were others but I'm just so annoyed with myself right now that I'm going to stop at my Top 5. It's like a scab that you just keep picking.

Now if Chris Martin and Gwyneth break up I'm going to shoot myself in the face.

0 Responses to “The cheer heard 'round the planet”

Post a Comment



© 2006