User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Words of lameness

Oh bloggy bloggerton how I’ve neglected thee.

It’s really worse than bad actually, when this is the time in my life where the most of my friends are on my back for some sign of life, things are changing, timez is changing, I’m going through lots of ground-breaking stuff and I should be writing the most. But I’m writing the least…
This is mostly because of the computer situation. In the office we have a daily struggle for the computer with the internet on it. This leaves me at home to write my personal emails, dragging them along to work to upload on the memory stick every day. What’s worse is that LA is coming back from vacation tomorrow, and he’s going to be there, sitting on my shoulder, observing everything I do. UGH. I’m annoyed just thinking about it. The guy never goes home. With him it’s 8am start, 6pm finish. And bring your lunch to work. AGH! GO AWAY!

Ok well he is going away. In march. So I just have to slug it out til then and hope like hell that we can afford to get broadband at home soon.

Back to Africa and other stuff. First of all the reason I haven’t been posting photos (VINCENT!) is that … well, see above. Not to mention the fact that we have daily server failures, plus it takes like 10 minutes to upload one photo. And that’s just on email… wait til you get blogger involved and you’re talking a good lifetime of waiting.

Right so my DEAR friend vincey was slagging me off because I post too many WORDS and not enough PHOTOS (VINCENT!) but this is why. That and I haven’t really taken all that many photos. Not for lack of amazing stuff, but just because I never seem to have the camera handy. I mean, it’s not like I’m on holidays here, it’s just normal every day average life at the moment, and you don’t normally have a camera attached to your hands during normal every day average life now DO YOU?

What about these spiders, man! Here’s something I’m thinking about a lot and I’ve been pondering about how I should write these little normal every day average life-in-africa-things down now, b/c they’re all just gonna become so normal and mundane and unnoticed after a few months, like just so typical you don’t notice anymore. So yeah, the spiders. Well Africa is full of all sorts of amazing wildlife, as expected. Duh, we’ve already covered my neighbourhood baboons in this blog… but not the creepy crawlies. I really don’t mind creepy crawlies actually, which is good because whether you like it or not, in Botswana you share your living space with them.

Every time I get up from one room and walk into another room, there’s a big fat mammoth spider chilling out on the wall. He’s always in a different place, so I know he’s up to something, but nothing suss, just hanging out, doing his spider thing. OK sure it’s probably not always the same one, I can tell that because there’s approximately one in each room at any given time of day, and I always talk to them and give them names—a different name each time, naturally. Normally generic lame names like Jim, Pete, Gary, Marty, that sort of thing. Anyway I’ve just accepted them and they accept you, and we just get on with our life of co-habiting. They’re not web-spinners or biters or jumpers or anything, for that matter, they just cling to the wall and sit there, as big as the circumference of a Coke can, just looking at you. Or maybe not, I’m not really sure how the eyes work. But they’re very peaceful indeed. You just have to make sure you shake your clothes out before you put them on, if you’re like me and you have the tendency to leave your clothes on the floor.

The pups are loving chasing the baby geckos that run into our house all the time. They climb the walls and the hounds just watch them while they climb out of reach. If they’re running across the floors, they get chased, but they get safety on the walls.

What else? Love having the swimming pool, am enjoying the attempt at getting fit again. 25-30 minutes per day, takes the edge off the heat and allows me to feel just that much better about the fact that I’m eating so damned much white flour products and refined sugar things. Getting miles and miles of enjoyment out of starting every day with fresh papaya or mango though. Goes great with Woolworths vanilla yogurt.

Met next door neighbours. Skyler, who’s about 40-something, south African guy, and his wife (cant remember her name) who’s my age and also from SA (Cape Town) but is one of those gorgeous Cape Malay girls with the most amazing skin and hair and is pregnant with twins! I’ve never even seen baby twins before and she’s due in May so this should be interesting. They invited us over for tea last weekend and we had a nice time for about 3 hours or something, I will really like her and Skyler is a bit of a loudmouth but an all around nice guy, typical south African. She is just really really nice and I can’t figure out if she doesn’t drink because she’s muslim or because she’s pregnant but skyler mentioned something about how “can you believe you’re meeting a girl from Western Cape who doesn’t drink wine?!!?” and I thought “DAMN!” but oh well, I know there’s still lots of neighbours in the ‘hood to become my drinking buddies. Haven’t met the neighbours on the other side (the ones who live in the castle on the biggest bloody plot in the neighbourhood… embarrassing sitting here in our little pre-fab rent house jobby next to that.

1 Responses to “Words of lameness”

  1. # Blogger ~ VinnY ~

    I will sit on my arse and WAIT! and oso Get a picture of your neighbourhood frens BaBOOn!!!  

Post a Comment



© 2006