Rock N Roll Hall of WHAT?
1 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 15 March 2007 at 3/15/2007 07:49:00 am.
So Van Halen finally and oh so deservedly made it into the RnRHOF, hey?
SWEET.
Those silly cats and their hair-slinging cabo-wabo ways have never failed to entertain me but I just don't understand how they can possibly think they can get away with being so bitchy with each other. I mean, a less-than-50% personnel turnout for the RnRHOF? Come on that's just stupid. You're not famous enough anymore to pull that shit off, guys. Ugh. Prima Donnas.
But I do (heart) Van Halen. It's gotta be the dutch boy thing.
In honor (ugh, more like "Dis"honor after reading the following list) of the recent inductions into RnRHOF: I wanted to blog the latest email from Dave, who has a habit of mailing all of us serious music-head friends of his these big group-emails for input and comment on "Kids' music today! Bah!" and "your top ten _______ ". Here's what he sends:
Music-heads,
How's your collection stack up to what the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame thinks you should have?
1 BEATLES SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND 1967 Rock
2 PINK FLOYD DARK SIDE OF THE MOON 1973 Rock
3 MICHAEL JACKSON THRILLER 1982 Pop
4 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN IV 1971 Rock
5 U2 JOSHUA TREE 1987 Rock
6 ROLLING STONES EXILE ON MAIN STREET 1972 Rock
7 CAROLE KING TAPESTRY 1971 Adult Contemporary
8 BOB DYLAN HIGHWAY '61 REVISITED 1965 Rock
9 BEACH BOYS PET SOUNDS 1966 Rock
10 NIRVANA NEVERMIND 1996 Rock
11 PEARL JAM TEN 1991 Rock
12 BEATLES ABBEY ROAD 1969 Rock
13 SANTANA SUPERNATURAL 1999 Rock
14 METALLICA METALLICA 1991 Rock
15 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN BORN TO RUN 1984 Rock
16 PRINCE PURPLE RAIN 1984 Pop
17 AC/DC BACK IN BLACK 1980 Rock
18 ROLLING STONES LET IT BLEED 1969 Rock
19 DOORS DOORS 1967 Rock
20 GRATEFUL DEAD AMERICAN BEAUTY 1970 Rock
21 SHANIA TWAIN COME ON OVER 1997 Country
22 WHO WHO'S NEXT 1971 Rock
23 STEVIE WONDER SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE 1976 R&B
24 FLEETWOOD MAC RUMOURS 1977 Pop
25 PINK FLOYD WALL 1979 Rock
26 ALANIS MORISSETTE JAGGED LITTLE PILL 1995 Pop
27 NORAH JONES COME AWAY WITH ME 2002 Pop
28 EMINEM MARSHALL MATHERS LP 2000 Rap
29 OUTKAST SPEAKERBOXX-LOVE BELOW 2003 R&B
30 DR. DRE CHRONIC 1992 Rap
31 BEASTIE BOYS LICENSED TO ILL 1986 Rap
32 GUNS 'N ROSES APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION 1987 Rock
33 DIXIE CHICKS WIDE OPEN SPACES 1998 Country
34 MILES DAVIS KIND OF BLUE 1959 Jazz
35 EAGLES HOTEL CALIFORNIA 1976 Rock
36 DEF LEPPARD HYSTERIA 1987 Rock
37 SOUNDTRACK GREASE 1978 Soundtrack
38 MARVIN GAYE WHAT'S GOING ON 1971 R&B
39 BEATLES WHITE ALBUM 1968 Rock
40 SOUNDTRACK SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER 1977 Soundtrack
41 JIMI HENDRIX ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? 1967 Rock
42 BEATLES REVOLVER 1966 Rock
43 BOSTON BOSTON 1976 Rock
44 BON JOVI SLIPPERY WHEN WET 1986 Rock
45 U2 ACHTUNG BABY 1991 Rock
46 WHITNEY HOUSTON WHITNEY HOUSTON 1985 R&B
47 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN II 1969 Rock
48 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND CRASH 1996 Rock
49 ROLLING STONES STICKY FINGERS 1971 Rock
50 GREEN DAY DOOKIE 1994 Rock
I have 20 of their top 50. I couldn't find a list of criteria.
Here's the whole list: http://www.definitive200.com/200_list.php
I'm right up there with him around the 25-30 mark but I can't *really* be sure, because a good chunk of my "collection" still lives overseas in Missouri and a lot of my mp3 collection has a lot of partial albums due to the way I file my stuff. So I'd say 25 for sure, 30 at the most.
I thought it was all fine and dandy (maybe with the exception of the travesty of Shania Twain only getting up there to 21..... NOT!!!! - dually noted by one of the guys)
The always-brilliant Mike lobbed one back at all of us that kinda made me wake up to the actual nonsense of their overall Top 200.... the travesty that "both Kid Rock and 50 Cent edging out The man in black????" Now I do love both the Kid and the Cent, but he's got a point there. I mean of all entitites I would've at least expected the RnRHOF to have just a bit more of a mature Top 60.... Don't you kinda have to stand the test of time before you're considered Top-60-worthy???
And check it out, AC, not even a MENTION of "Music from Big Pink". WTF? But Faith Hill and Usher are in the top 75?
I was totally perplexed and even borderline-upset, until Tom weighed in and brought me back down to earth:
FYI -- I work 4 blocks from the actual RRHOF (you know, where the induction ceremonies don't happen). I visited it. Once, right when it opened. I often walk by at lunchtime on workdays. It's fun to watch dorky tourists try to act all Rock and Roll as they approach the building. Actually, it's funny to see tourists at all in our much-maligned-and-mostly-deservedly-so town. The whole idea of the RRHOF kind of falls flat when you actually experience it. A bunch of David Bowie costumes and artwork made of drumsticks. It's all dead, no matter how loud they pump classic rock into the exhibit spaces. T. Stewart, the director, is one of the biggest a-holes you will ever experience. I'm in advertising and have had to work with him on occasion. Balding in the extreme. Bright yellow Porshce with a big airfoil on back. Grouchy nobody. The perfect figurehead.
In summation, what makes music in general--and rock and roll, especially--inspiring and enjoyable is that it is something that cannot reallly be contained in a list or a building, because then it immedately starts sucking.
Amen.
SWEET.
Those silly cats and their hair-slinging cabo-wabo ways have never failed to entertain me but I just don't understand how they can possibly think they can get away with being so bitchy with each other. I mean, a less-than-50% personnel turnout for the RnRHOF? Come on that's just stupid. You're not famous enough anymore to pull that shit off, guys. Ugh. Prima Donnas.
But I do (heart) Van Halen. It's gotta be the dutch boy thing.
In honor (ugh, more like "Dis"honor after reading the following list) of the recent inductions into RnRHOF: I wanted to blog the latest email from Dave, who has a habit of mailing all of us serious music-head friends of his these big group-emails for input and comment on "Kids' music today! Bah!" and "your top ten _______ ". Here's what he sends:
Music-heads,
How's your collection stack up to what the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame thinks you should have?
1 BEATLES SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND 1967 Rock
2 PINK FLOYD DARK SIDE OF THE MOON 1973 Rock
3 MICHAEL JACKSON THRILLER 1982 Pop
4 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN IV 1971 Rock
5 U2 JOSHUA TREE 1987 Rock
6 ROLLING STONES EXILE ON MAIN STREET 1972 Rock
7 CAROLE KING TAPESTRY 1971 Adult Contemporary
8 BOB DYLAN HIGHWAY '61 REVISITED 1965 Rock
9 BEACH BOYS PET SOUNDS 1966 Rock
10 NIRVANA NEVERMIND 1996 Rock
11 PEARL JAM TEN 1991 Rock
12 BEATLES ABBEY ROAD 1969 Rock
13 SANTANA SUPERNATURAL 1999 Rock
14 METALLICA METALLICA 1991 Rock
15 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN BORN TO RUN 1984 Rock
16 PRINCE PURPLE RAIN 1984 Pop
17 AC/DC BACK IN BLACK 1980 Rock
18 ROLLING STONES LET IT BLEED 1969 Rock
19 DOORS DOORS 1967 Rock
20 GRATEFUL DEAD AMERICAN BEAUTY 1970 Rock
21 SHANIA TWAIN COME ON OVER 1997 Country
22 WHO WHO'S NEXT 1971 Rock
23 STEVIE WONDER SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE 1976 R&B
24 FLEETWOOD MAC RUMOURS 1977 Pop
25 PINK FLOYD WALL 1979 Rock
26 ALANIS MORISSETTE JAGGED LITTLE PILL 1995 Pop
27 NORAH JONES COME AWAY WITH ME 2002 Pop
28 EMINEM MARSHALL MATHERS LP 2000 Rap
29 OUTKAST SPEAKERBOXX-LOVE BELOW 2003 R&B
30 DR. DRE CHRONIC 1992 Rap
31 BEASTIE BOYS LICENSED TO ILL 1986 Rap
32 GUNS 'N ROSES APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION 1987 Rock
33 DIXIE CHICKS WIDE OPEN SPACES 1998 Country
34 MILES DAVIS KIND OF BLUE 1959 Jazz
35 EAGLES HOTEL CALIFORNIA 1976 Rock
36 DEF LEPPARD HYSTERIA 1987 Rock
37 SOUNDTRACK GREASE 1978 Soundtrack
38 MARVIN GAYE WHAT'S GOING ON 1971 R&B
39 BEATLES WHITE ALBUM 1968 Rock
40 SOUNDTRACK SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER 1977 Soundtrack
41 JIMI HENDRIX ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? 1967 Rock
42 BEATLES REVOLVER 1966 Rock
43 BOSTON BOSTON 1976 Rock
44 BON JOVI SLIPPERY WHEN WET 1986 Rock
45 U2 ACHTUNG BABY 1991 Rock
46 WHITNEY HOUSTON WHITNEY HOUSTON 1985 R&B
47 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN II 1969 Rock
48 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND CRASH 1996 Rock
49 ROLLING STONES STICKY FINGERS 1971 Rock
50 GREEN DAY DOOKIE 1994 Rock
I have 20 of their top 50. I couldn't find a list of criteria.
Here's the whole list: http://www.definitive200.com/200_list.php
I'm right up there with him around the 25-30 mark but I can't *really* be sure, because a good chunk of my "collection" still lives overseas in Missouri and a lot of my mp3 collection has a lot of partial albums due to the way I file my stuff. So I'd say 25 for sure, 30 at the most.
I thought it was all fine and dandy (maybe with the exception of the travesty of Shania Twain only getting up there to 21..... NOT!!!! - dually noted by one of the guys)
The always-brilliant Mike lobbed one back at all of us that kinda made me wake up to the actual nonsense of their overall Top 200.... the travesty that "both Kid Rock and 50 Cent edging out The man in black????" Now I do love both the Kid and the Cent, but he's got a point there. I mean of all entitites I would've at least expected the RnRHOF to have just a bit more of a mature Top 60.... Don't you kinda have to stand the test of time before you're considered Top-60-worthy???
And check it out, AC, not even a MENTION of "Music from Big Pink". WTF? But Faith Hill and Usher are in the top 75?
I was totally perplexed and even borderline-upset, until Tom weighed in and brought me back down to earth:
FYI -- I work 4 blocks from the actual RRHOF (you know, where the induction ceremonies don't happen). I visited it. Once, right when it opened. I often walk by at lunchtime on workdays. It's fun to watch dorky tourists try to act all Rock and Roll as they approach the building. Actually, it's funny to see tourists at all in our much-maligned-and-mostly-deservedly-so town. The whole idea of the RRHOF kind of falls flat when you actually experience it. A bunch of David Bowie costumes and artwork made of drumsticks. It's all dead, no matter how loud they pump classic rock into the exhibit spaces. T. Stewart, the director, is one of the biggest a-holes you will ever experience. I'm in advertising and have had to work with him on occasion. Balding in the extreme. Bright yellow Porshce with a big airfoil on back. Grouchy nobody. The perfect figurehead.
In summation, what makes music in general--and rock and roll, especially--inspiring and enjoyable is that it is something that cannot reallly be contained in a list or a building, because then it immedately starts sucking.
Amen.
Brilliant freaking post.