User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Temporary Blog Void

I have been trying to think of something that I wanted to post something about, but I come up with NUH. Strange.

Well ummmmmmmmm.... let's see.........

Friday after work drinks as per the new tradition...
Followed by non-stop PS2 action (I'm currently addicted to Sims - Pets edition), and a few too many episodes of 24 on DVD. (still no TV - excellent!)

oh yeah
it was St Pats day this weekend and for people who've been living in Ireland for the last 4 years we let it go by relatively quietly without a fuss. well except for about a million incoherent text messages on my phone from Cork-side. Went to the bar to watch Ireland vs. Italy rugby game which was LAME . . . a total walkover for the greens, meaning they could win the whole 6 Nations tournement provided France didn't beat Scotland by a certain number of points (which they later did, so, tough luck). It was funny because not only was it Paddy's day but it was also a HUGE deal for Irish rugby, and there was a mere 6 other people watching it at the bar with us which was just surreal!!! Shows you the difference between bars in BW and those that we're used to. The kicker was that the other 6 who were there to watch were either English or South African. You'da thought at least ONE drunken potato head would've showed up (god I'm glad I never told any of my Irish friends about this blog!) hee hee

Anyway, a couple ciders and then back home to hang out at the house. Oh yes and sunday we took a scenic drive off road (Honda says "ouch") from Mokolodi to Gabane.

Man we're hanging out at the house a lot these days. I told the Mr. "this is the type of country you could actually possibly consider procreating in --- having a kid wouldn't actually stop us from doing anything, because we don't do anything anyway!" Literally, I mean, everything closes by 11pm, everyone has a maid/nanny/etc., everyone has space, the only live music to go see is jazz (meaning we don't go), and the main social interactions are all conducted poolside and over the braai, at friends' houses! Seriously! Like, what are we doing anyway that would be potentially "prevented"? OK this paragraph has got to stop now. I'm scaring myself.

I do have to admit to having a secret lust over the way these Motswana women all wear their kids in a sling (read: bed sheet) on their back. They are amazing. And the kids don't make a peep - i have never EVER seen a Motswana baby screaming bloody murder in a public place, nor running wild in a shopping mall, for that matter. I think the culture here is very strict and completly un-spoiling when it comes to how they raise their kids. I think europeans should be packed off to pre-natal camp in Botswana or something. They're just so respectful. It's unreal.

We have a new little friend from around the neighbourhood named Terry. If I had to guess I'd say he's about 8 y.o. and we give him rides home whenever we see him thumbing it on the roadside between our place and his school (a 3 mile walk - they all do it, these kids are troopers). He plays football and is GORGEOUS and lives with his family in the employee house behind the cattle breeder's facility at the entrance to our neighbourhood. We talk about football and his school and he has perfect english and brilliant manners and the biggest smile EVER. He's always so grateful for the lift and calls me "madam". SNORT!!! I wonder if he's ever played PS2...

Just brought on new girl at the office, Tutu, really sweet. I like her a lot. Nice to have a bit more estrogen in the office of course. She's engaged to a Malawian. Has a 3 year old. Not sure what else other than she's originally from the north of the country out in the sticks. Approximately my age. Anyway she's sharp.

Headed down to SA this weekend for bonding time with the P's and Jéan and mega-shopping trip totally overdue. I have to buy hella curtains. Still not one curtain in our whole house. Borderline-ghetto with the beach towels in the bedroom window. Also looking for some decent quality linens & the obvious: greek food & good wine!!!!!!!!!!

OH and I finally get to bring home my BLANKET from the ma.

so yeeehaw we've got a day off tomorrow. sweet. ass.

1 Responses to “Temporary Blog Void”

  1. # Blogger Adela c/s

    I love everything about this blog entry! it was worth the wait. Hee hee hee!!!  

Post a Comment



© 2006