User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Beautiful Day

.

Happiness is:
Driving down the bypass with Beastie Boys blasting at full volume on a sunny day in Gabz-city, with your sunglasses on and the windows down and all the Batswana by the roadside looking at you going "what is WRONG with that white girl?"

Yes, we finally got our car cd player/radio. The important part is the USB port which allows me to plug GOD in and listen to whatever the £($*& I want to. We get a whopping 4 BW stations, which is nice when I'm in a groovy toonz/reggae mood (which honestly, come on, is a good percentage of the time!), but we also get one South Africa station, which is also good, when I'm in the mood to hear more english and less Setswana. But really the USB port and CD player is the BEST. I didnt realize how much I missed it. I'm putting a link to the No. 1 Radio station in G-city next door, here.

Today is the best day ever because
1) it's friday
2) we had the handy-guys at the house to fix some things which meant.... COMPULSORY DAY OFF!!!

Well actually I just took the morning off. Came into work and left the Mr. at home, overseeing the fixin', and doing whatever else he wants. he needs a day off. The poor bugger works his ASS off here, and rightly deserves a day off. Have I mentioned lately how thankful I am that that engineering crowd who supposedly wants to hire him, still hasnt called him up to start yet? I really dont know where this place is gonna go once he abandons me. He's an EXCELLENT office manager, excellent accountant, excellent proposal-writer...... man I'm gonna miss him if he goes. But everyone seems to agree that it would be the "sensible" thing to do if we both aren't drawing salaries out of our company.

My question is: who the &^$£ ever said I care about SENSIBLE!?!?

But yes, I like taking nice holidays, I like buying stuff for the house, I like being able to not have to stress if we want to do something decadent like- eat out, get broadband at home, go to Pretoria for shopping whenever, etc. Also there's that whole thing about saving for the future (whatever the hell that means) which would be a lot easier if one of us has a big fat engineering income and the other has a humble environmental consultant salary and so on.

back to why today is the best:

3) Jéan is coming tomorrow! Our first over-night visitor! Woo HOO! I'm looking forward to showing off Gabz to someone, as well as doing a hike and downing some Rosé. OK, truth be told, last time J. and I were drinking rosé together, I ended up puking in Martin's kitchen sink. Fantastic memories. But! There was a good reason for that! I'll report what it was, as soon as I come up with it.

Alan sent me episodes 14 and 15 of LOST so I am completely stoked, and feel less pitiful about the fact that we just finished up the last of the box set DVDs of 24, season 2.

Finally, Prisca really wants us to come to this big gigantic jesus-fest that's on in the National Stadium this weekend. It's for her church, wich is one of THE MOST happy-clappy, faith healin', Billy Graham-in' denominations in africa. There will be lots of people falling on the floor and speaking in tounges and exorcisms and you name it. We went to her church once with her a month ago or so, and it was quite an experience FOR THREE HOURS. I'm glad we went, and as per my nature, I'll try anything once. But I *so* am not looking forward to going to this thing this weekend and I'm trying with every ethical fibre in my body, not to blame it on having J. come visit, etc. I always try to approach our friendship in a non-jill type way, because she is just SUCH a good person, such a good christian, such an amazing soul. But this is just something I'm totally backsliding on, because I already have been non-committal to her various invitations. She even said we could just come for an hour or so (she's going to be there 24 hours of all 3 days that it's on) if we could make it.... aaaaaaghhhh what to do!? what to do!? Anyone else I would blow off in a very unethical, wishy-washy, most likely based on some little-white-lie, but this is P. that we're talking about.

I would really like to take the Mr. back to the States for Thanksgiving this year. But WTF is up with flights being so OBNOXIOUSLY expensive anywhere even remotely close to the end of November?!?! WHY!?!?? Why does that have to be the most-oft-travelled part of the year for americans!? WHY!!?!? It is just TOTALLY unfair. For the price of a ticket to Kansas City from Atlanta (thats where all Joburg-USA flights transfer), I could go on a week long holiday including food, air travel, transfers, and 4-star hotel to Mauritius. SICK!
It's annoying because I'd like to fit in a "real" trip to somewhere else relatively interesting like NYC or Las Vegas or Houston or god knows where, to keep the Mr's interest in the homeland up at a reasonable level. I think he's just about Missouri'd out, given thats the only place I ever take him when we're back (now with the exception of DC, of course).
Oh well let's not forget the wilds of . . .
Omaha, NE...
Atchison, KS....
Wyoming...
Denver....
WAHOO!

1 Responses to “Beautiful Day”

  1. # Blogger Adela c/s

    Houston! Houston!  

Post a Comment



© 2006