User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Sen-bloody-sational weekend!

Crikey it was a nice weekend.

Friday, the Mr. and I called a "Directors Meeting" and went out on the piss for lunch. And didn't come back. Fabulous. Being your own boss is fabulous. Beautiful autumn weather, delicious eatings at the Dros, and plenty of liquid refreshment.

Saturday was very laid back and we slept in til 10 (!!!), kicked around town, bought a groovy hall rug, took a walk in the evening around the 'hood at the nicest time of day - when everybody and I mean EVERYBODY is out milling around, conversatin' and gossiping and enjoying the sunset. I just love living in my hood.

Went to Moghul Sat. night for an incredible indian feast and got too full. MAN I hate it that my non-overeating regiment is collapsing. Too much good nosh in this country. Just too much. Avoiding food in Ireland was much, much easier. Because it was mostly crap.

The Mr. and I started a (gasp) PUZZLE! (Thanks Beth!) It is the first puzzle we've ever done in our relationship. Actually it's probably the first puzzle I've done since I was 12, when the Mominator used to force us to do it as a "family activity" and I nearly puked with disgust. So it's nice to be doing one now, totally of my own free will. It's one of the LOST series puzzles and it has Hurley and the cursed numbers on it, but they dont show you what the finished product is supposed to look like so it's a true mystery until it gets done. Beth sent it to us for no good reason, and that's the nicest kind of surprises to find in the mailbox. The best.

But sunday! SUNDAY! what a great day. Me, the Mr, Petra, Robin, and Jason walked alllllllllll the way from town out to Gabane village (about 12km?). We started around 3pm and got there around 5:30 - 6 and damn it felt good. The walk took us through bush, dusty tracks, and a few informal village settlements. And when we finally rocked up in G-village, we hit the "Mountain Liquor Restaurant" for a braai, LOUD music, and some well-deserved beers. We sunk our first beverages up on the side of the mountain, right behind the bar, where we climbed up and sat on some rocks and just watched the scene. The locals were jamming to the grooviest toonz on the frontier, and the braais were fired up cooking the most incredible steaks known to mankind. And huge, too! Non-beef eaters go home!

Ate some meat, some pap, drank more beers, and got stared at good and hard (as per usual) by the home-crowd. Di-friggin-VINE! Caught a combi taxi home and walked under the stars another 3km or so back to where we'd parked the car at Robin's place.

I love Petra. I think she could be my first dutch girl real-friend. All my NL friends are boys it seems, and even though I do have some girly acquaintances of the adoptive country, none of them have really . . . uh, "clicked" or how ever you want to say it. Put it this way, I have no Dutch BFFs.

It's just so nice to talk to someone like I normally would, and be myself, and all that cliché crap. Make jokes, say "shit", drink beers, go hiking, crap on about everything and anything, and the fact that she and the Mr. have hit it off too, is just icing on the cake. Plus she's not afraid to rock up at a village "liquor restaurant" (HA!) in a posse of whities and just feel at ease. Ok, the fact she dated a Motswana for 3 years helps that, but it *is* uncommon here in Gabs. I got the feeling R & J were a little gob-smacked by the whole THING last night too, but me & the Mr. and P. were perfectly happy to be the buttermilk in the fly-party.

It was an amazing, amazing time.

0 Responses to “Sen-bloody-sational weekend!”

Post a Comment



© 2006