User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Ke a lwala

blaaahhhhh
I hate being sick.
My first bout of the sickies since moving to botswana has arrived. Tuesday, our Labour Day/May Day off started out so wonderfully... sleeping late in the killer flannel sheets and winter duvet in the cold morning, leisurly coffee and rusks in front of the news, and a day of shopping for house stuff. All this followed up by one helluva nice chardonnay lunch spanning a 2 hour time slot in the late afternoon at the joint where we had my birthday dinner. We bumped into Megan and her Mr. there, which still kinda freaks me out when it happens because I still feel so "new" here, and bumping into people we actually know just seems so weird, given that I could wander the streets of Cork for a whole 4 years and still feel anonymous. Well, it helps when your skin colour allows you to stick out like a banana in my speedos.

So driving home it just happened, throat = totally swelled up, head = totally full of snot, nose = totally blocked off to anything remotely close to breathing.

I spent the rest of the random-day-off wallowing in pity on the couch, shivering and drinking tea and moaning and groaning. it was rotten.

Otherwise not much else to report. Well, other than Liverpool vs AC Milan for the 2nd time in 3 years now in the Champions' League final. I really have no feeling about either team, but it does make me feel a little bit emotional for AlanM's sake, I'm extremely happy for him (re: Liverpool making it) but I think the reason it is on my mind is because it almost gives me the feeling of a little "anniversary" of us being friends because when I first started at the old job, one of the major events during my first months there, was the Finals, and I remember this funny short guy who smoked too much, running around bragging about going to Turkey to watch his team take on the greasies. He wouldnt shut up about it for days. Little did I know we'd become really good friends and someday this guy would be coming to visit us in Botswana, not to mention keeping me supplied with the life-sustaining LOST episodes of season 3.

I'm worried a little bit about the Mr. , as I know that he's going through a patch of the worries at the moment regarding "the grand scheme of things". It's not unhappiness, it's just unsettledness. It's times like this that I'm glad I'm mildly retarded and that my brain boarders on lazy most of the time, so that I don't tend to get into such patches. He just doesn't know what to do about either (a) persuing another "real job" or (b) staying here with me in the office. He then worries about money, he worries about buying that 4x4, he worries about whether or not he should take up AutoCAD.

I just feel so bad for him because I see the look on his face and it's the look of someone who's confused and doesn't know which way to go. It's the old Dutch work-obsessiveness whereby if you're not completely flat out and stressed and challenged to the BILLIONTH degree, you don't feel like you're worthy. I try to explain to him that is NOT why we moved back to africa, and to relax because there is no reason to worry. And isn't he happy in general? "Yes, definitely! Absolutely!" But I notice it when we're driving home and rather than yammering on and on about the nonsense&rubbish that we always blah-blah on about, he's just quiet and it's like the left side of his face has gone transparent and I can see through it, into the cogs and wheels that are spinning around like a friggin hurricane.

It's all about perspective. 4 years ago we were so broke that I used to go to Lidl or Aldi with 5 euro in my wallet and didn't come home with anything that wasnt in a can. Now we own a house and a business and get to spend all day together and come home to the coolest place in the world. Why mentally manufacture unnecessary things to worry about? Everything works out, sometimes you just have to wait & be patient before you can figure out how it's gonna work out. But notwithstanding this, I'm not even sure what he needs to get "worked out" because as far as I can see, it's all good right now! I know he knows that, he just feels like he's floating a bit aimlessly in life and I do know how that feels. (That was me back in, oh... 1997, 1998, and 2002-2003). Luckily the life he feels like he's floating aimlessly in is pretty damn good for being a state of aimlessness, and he's very aware of that... these dutch boys though, they're just all obsessed with jobs and money and work. What can you do? Well, I worry about him, that's what I do. And he checks out more makes and models of 4x4s. And then it just kind of passes...
...and something happens... and then it's like nothing was ever worth worrying about. C'est la vie. My poor baby...

0 Responses to “Ke a lwala”

Post a Comment



© 2006