User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


I've waited for Thursday all week!!!

...and only because that means Friday is 1 day away!!!

We're off again out into the bush tomorrow for some camping and some breaking in of the new roof tent. That is if (hot) mechanic Ross actually gets it welded onto the top of the rig today. Fingers crossed, holding thumbs, all that stuff.

Well even if it doesn't get done that won't take anything away from the fun of food on a fire, some good red wine, and Alan's first venture out into the Kalahari. He's excited but for some reason I feel like I'm more excited than anyone. New tent! WOO HOO! Actually I know the Mr. is excited too but he's been so busy at work this week that he hasn't been longing for friday with the same madness that I have.

Speaking of busy at work and the Mr. . . . it's just so hard to WORK these days. Spring is in the air, the job I'm working on at present is laaaaaaaaaaaaaame and making me easily distracted. So I have to sit here and watch him slave away (because he's so good and so focused) while I procrastinate, allow myself to get side tracked, and dream of friday. Yes indeed, I have a major case of the guilts at the moment.

Otherwise work-related, A. is still waiting on his university qualifications to be accepted by the South African Board of Whatever, so that his immigration papers can go through and he can start up his job in Jozi. I think all this waiting is making him nervous and I can totally understand. I mean he's taken a big leap coming down here and everything, the stakes are high, and you just want everything to go smoothly and not get held up in the wide wide world of red tape. But I just hope he doesn't feel like he's being an imposition by living with us for the whole time. I mean, we're loving it! He's so low-maintenance, I love teaching him how to cook, I love immersing him in Africa, The Mr. has gotten his 7-day-a-week "guy nights" back and I've finally inherited a half-decent extra brother! I just want everyone to feel comfortable and relaxed, I mean we're the epitome of relaxed about it so there's no reason for anyone else to not feel the same. I do know one thing though (besides that "bitches they come they go/Saturday thru Sunday Monday/Monday through Sunday, yo."), and that is that the big A. is definitely by far and away the easiest house guest ever. And that's not saying that anyone else wasn't easy (ALL my friends make great house guests!) - it's just that he is for all practical purposes part of the furniture. Probably because he's a boy. And because in this house we have 2 bathrooms and a maid. But, he can live on nothing but bowls of muesli and pulls his weight in all aspects of cooking and cleaning and dog-management, etc. Plus he's up for playing PS2 whenever I want, and watching whatever shows we watch, etc. Not to mention the free athletic training. HAHA! It's great. Oh, and I really love teaching someone how to cook.

Annnnnnyway what else. Oh well, the mominator has recently sent me another email. In the midst of her rattling on and on about how my old high school friend L. was back in town and how just positively DELIGHTFUL she is, she also managed to squeeze in the sentence: "we'd like to hear about how things are going in Gaborone". So what do I do? Do I write her back? Like the period between March and August never existed? Would doing so encourage this bizarre practice of "I'm going to essentially disown you for a period of 4 months because I'm in pouting mode, and then when I feel like it I'm going to send you random sweetie-sweetie emails as if nothing ever happened, and expect you to follow suit???" Oh what to do, what to do.

Let me just close that last paragraph off with a positive note, my mantra for these quandaries which always manages to leave me just as happy and nonchalant about the whole thing as before these thoughts ever came into my head:
“Friends are relatives you make for yourself.” --Eustache Deschamps.
And that's all I have to say about that.

Finally? Well, with help from A. I finally managed to make it up the WHOLE HILL last night, RUNNING. Not walking. Both me and The Mr. ran the whole way. I'm still shocked. But he does that real coaching thing where he jogs along side you and says motivational crap to keep you going, even when Jell-O Leg Syndrome kicks in and your breathing is a painful anaerobic nightmare. I'd say the gradient of that track ranges between 50 and 60 degrees steep. That may not sound like much, but if you consider the fact that 90 deg is STRAIGHT UP, or if you make the shape of a 45 degree angle with your hand, then steepen it... you realize that steeper than that (60) is absolutely ruthless. Over a quarter of a mile of that? That's just obscene. But we did it! I felt so wrecked when we got to the top that we didn't even jog back down like normal, we just walked it. The Mr. was very proud of me and I was proud of him too. Alan is just too fit to even be proud of but dammit I couldn't have done it without his presence. I think I'm just one of those people who needs an extra push (i.e. the presence of an intimidating, encouraging, non-spouse) to do these things.

I'm making my world-famous wildebeest, impala, and oxtail stew this weekend out in the bush. That'll blow the boys' minds.

1 Responses to “I've waited for Thursday all week!!!”

  1. # Blogger mamakohl

    You've been tagged, Bill. C'mon, time to blog up.

    RULES - Post rules before giving the facts - Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves - People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules - At the end of the your blog you need to tag six people and list their names - Leave them a comment on their blog, telling them they have been tagged and not to forget to read your blog.  

Post a Comment



© 2006