Stresses and Self-Pep-Talks
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 26 September 2007 at 9/26/2007 02:20:00 pm.
I get soooooooooo annoyed with myself when I hear myself complaining and whinging. I saw this thing on Oprah when I was flipping channels the other night about some minister in KC who's pushing for the advancement of "a complaint-free world" and I thought "hell yeah! you go, reverend!" Allllllllll the way back from SA this sunday I was going "wah wha wha, my life is so hard and stressful and blah blah blah" (why? I'm not sure. probably temporary depression and guilt or something) and now I think back and just want to slap myself. ugh. Seriously... I like, whined all the way back from Rustenburg. It was just depressing.
For the record, my life is NOT stressful. I live in frickin Botswana for %$*!s sake. Only intermittent issues at work are stressful. Sometimes some of my clients cause stress. Any stress I feel WITHIN the office is created by me and me alone (say, for example, when I surf the web for airfares all day and then fail to do my WORK). Sometimes I create stress for myself through self-inflicted-laziness. When I feel the need to complain about work, I need to remind myself that until the day comes that I'm actually overworked and being truly injusticed by it, that I'm being a big whinger and that's just quite frankly unbecoming to someone who made it through a Masters Degree, Mt Kilimanjaro, 5 years of marriage, and 18 years under the same roof as my mother. (queue music "I'm a Survivor" by Destiny's Child... haha! just kidding. that would just be wrong and cheesy.)
I get soooooooo annoyed when the Mr. creates all this madey-uppy stress (comes with being Dutch) and has a big pity party for himself, and then I go and do it too. Surely there's some really deep and meaningful quote out there that I should memorize that pretty much expresses something like:
"If you wanna go around making up stress, complaining, and whining about shit, then prepare to get your 'license to kick ass and be hard core' permanently suspended!"
So anyway in my effort to give myself a big lesson in SUCK IT UP, I'm thinking of signing up for a correspondence course. It would help the company and I wouldn't mind having a second Masters to my name. I'm just thinking about it though. It'd be a wee bit expensive (UK university = GB£ converted into Pula = yikes!) and probably hella boring AND I promised myself I'd never go back to uni EVER again when I was doing my last MSc, BUT I just might do it.
The Mr. is currently doing an online correspondence course and he seems to be getting on just fine. He is indeed quite the inspiration. He's also a much harder worker and much smarter than me. hmmm.
And finally, I have decided to officially write off my brother. I've been riding some weird wave of pretending like we even know/understand each other for about the last 3 years or something but the more I see OF him through photos and on silly internet venues like MySpace or Facebook or whatever, the more I know that even if we were living right next door to each other we'd never actually have anything in common and I would probably continually want to punch his lights out. In years past, even though we lived apart, I used to always think "oh but he's so YOUNG, who knows what he'll end up turning out like... perhaps we'll grow closer with age". But now I'm like: "hell man, dude is closing in on 30... that boy ain't changing." If anything now's the part of his life where he's growing more and more and more STAGNANT and un-flexible. Sad.
So anyway, if in the role of mother I have got a 67-yr-old South African lady, AND a 45-yr-old Zimbabwean woman... then what prevents me from having a couple 20-something year old Irish/Romanian/Dutch boys in the role of younger brother? I have lots of those, and they actually put some effort into our relationships. Plus I like them.
OK my final words in this very unsatisfactory, non sequitur blog are going to be:
If someone asked me what my worst habit was, or the thing that I hate about myself the most, it would be that
I AM PRONE TO LAZINESS.
And then that would be the fact that I WHINE A LOT ABOUT THINGS THAT COULD EASILY BE SOLVED BY *NOT BEING LAZY!!!*
word.
For the record, my life is NOT stressful. I live in frickin Botswana for %$*!s sake. Only intermittent issues at work are stressful. Sometimes some of my clients cause stress. Any stress I feel WITHIN the office is created by me and me alone (say, for example, when I surf the web for airfares all day and then fail to do my WORK). Sometimes I create stress for myself through self-inflicted-laziness. When I feel the need to complain about work, I need to remind myself that until the day comes that I'm actually overworked and being truly injusticed by it, that I'm being a big whinger and that's just quite frankly unbecoming to someone who made it through a Masters Degree, Mt Kilimanjaro, 5 years of marriage, and 18 years under the same roof as my mother. (queue music "I'm a Survivor" by Destiny's Child... haha! just kidding. that would just be wrong and cheesy.)
I get soooooooo annoyed when the Mr. creates all this madey-uppy stress (comes with being Dutch) and has a big pity party for himself, and then I go and do it too. Surely there's some really deep and meaningful quote out there that I should memorize that pretty much expresses something like:
"If you wanna go around making up stress, complaining, and whining about shit, then prepare to get your 'license to kick ass and be hard core' permanently suspended!"
So anyway in my effort to give myself a big lesson in SUCK IT UP, I'm thinking of signing up for a correspondence course. It would help the company and I wouldn't mind having a second Masters to my name. I'm just thinking about it though. It'd be a wee bit expensive (UK university = GB£ converted into Pula = yikes!) and probably hella boring AND I promised myself I'd never go back to uni EVER again when I was doing my last MSc, BUT I just might do it.
The Mr. is currently doing an online correspondence course and he seems to be getting on just fine. He is indeed quite the inspiration. He's also a much harder worker and much smarter than me. hmmm.
And finally, I have decided to officially write off my brother. I've been riding some weird wave of pretending like we even know/understand each other for about the last 3 years or something but the more I see OF him through photos and on silly internet venues like MySpace or Facebook or whatever, the more I know that even if we were living right next door to each other we'd never actually have anything in common and I would probably continually want to punch his lights out. In years past, even though we lived apart, I used to always think "oh but he's so YOUNG, who knows what he'll end up turning out like... perhaps we'll grow closer with age". But now I'm like: "hell man, dude is closing in on 30... that boy ain't changing." If anything now's the part of his life where he's growing more and more and more STAGNANT and un-flexible. Sad.
So anyway, if in the role of mother I have got a 67-yr-old South African lady, AND a 45-yr-old Zimbabwean woman... then what prevents me from having a couple 20-something year old Irish/Romanian/Dutch boys in the role of younger brother? I have lots of those, and they actually put some effort into our relationships. Plus I like them.
OK my final words in this very unsatisfactory, non sequitur blog are going to be:
If someone asked me what my worst habit was, or the thing that I hate about myself the most, it would be that
I AM PRONE TO LAZINESS.
And then that would be the fact that I WHINE A LOT ABOUT THINGS THAT COULD EASILY BE SOLVED BY *NOT BEING LAZY!!!*
word.
0 Responses to “Stresses and Self-Pep-Talks”
Post a Comment