Blogging before hiatus of fun and not-so-fun
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 19 October 2007 at 10/19/2007 09:04:00 am.
Since it may be awhile before I'm back with lots of Internet leisure time, I thought I'd pull a big post out of my ass.
Starting tomorrow it's gonna be all-hands-on-deck at Planet W., and I'd say that this could conceivably run well into the month of November. But then there's not a whole helluva lot going on in November so the volume should be turned down to audible decibels for a good long while, then.
Fun: Tomorrow Ma & Pa P. descend on us til Monday morning. This combined with the Rugby WC final is going to make for an action-packed weekend. As it's England vs. South Africa in the final, and what with nearly 48% of the expats in Botswana being South African and probably 48% being English, this whole city is on fire, I tell you, on FIRE! It's a whole wave of panic sweeping through Gabz-city at the moment trying to decide where the best venue with the most craic will be... WHO's got dibs on the Cricket Club, WHO called the Yacht Club, HOW big will the screen be at the Gabs Rugby Club, will the English get the rights to the Bull+Bush bar or will the SAfricans be at The Dros??? agh! The Ma & Pa are even up for a night on the town for it, rather than watching from the couch in our ever-so-subdued TV room. Should be exciting... I'm just so nervous for SA...
Not-so-fun: Anyway, then they leave Monday morning, and so do we. The Mr. and myself have to go back up to shithole, BW (7 hrs away) where we were on our long site visit a couple months ago- probably the worst part of the country to have to go on a site visit- to interview a few schools and health clinics about sewerage. NOBODY in that village speaks english. That village is where I got my 1st cellphone pinched. Niiiiiice. Luckily we managed to get a room in the one "decent" hotel this time. Maybe there won't even be any used condom wrappers waiting for us in the bathroom this time... or even a tv with more than one channel??? Whilst there we also have to map out the village for our project team to do interviews in next week WITHOUT US. That's gonna be scary, but I'll just have to keep my phone on. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to pull it off but sending these guys up there with no supervision and trusting them to get the work done and get it done RIGHT kinda scares me. Fingers crossed.
Not-so-fun: Then Tuesday evening we have to haul ass back down here, spend the night, PACK, come into the office on Wednesday for a 1/2 day, then off to Joburg. Dinner with the boys Wednesday night and then fetching Steve & Madge at the airport at 6 &%$£ing 50 in the morning on Thursday. Tour guide, tour guide, tour guide through til Sunday when it's back up here with them (& possibly Alan in tow) and show them around BW for the next week. With intermittent stops into the office I guess. Maybe? Then camping in the bush with those guys PLUS Alan PLUS Jéan probably that next weekend, and then send S&M back down to Jozi with J&A on that sunday evening so they can fly to Cape Town. I'm gonna have to get a trailer for our rig for that camping trip because there is NO WAY all that crap is fitting in the Pajero with 6 people!!! But the more the merrier and this will be our last hoo-ha with J. before he flees the country and moves to Scotland. :-(
Whew!
Not-so-fun: Then the shit will somewhat hit the fan work-wise, that week in November, but whatever.
Fun: I'm looking forward to S&M's visit- they'll be our first friends from Ireland (Alan doesn't count) and they'll surely be coming with all the stories and goss from our best mates over yonder in Cork. I don't know how Madge is gonna handle the African cuisine what with her eating habits but hey I know a Chinese store in town that sells tofu. The problem being the 11th Commandment in Africa is "Thou Shalt Not Braai Without Boerwors and Lamb Chops".
I took a "Sound of Music" trivia quiz on facebook and got 100%. That made me strangely, strangely proud.
Going to the gym is becoming one of my favorite parts of the day. Not only does it exhaust me way more than just running alone, I'm starting to see those visible changes (albeit small ones) that make you even more enthusiastic about fitness. Now knowing that it may be 16 days or so before we get back in the gym, I'm in one of those obnoxious fitness-fiend panics. Not happy, Jan.
Apparently in Feb when our Irish buds are coming down for the visit, there will be no fewer than 4 of them which makes 6 in total with me & the Mr. and of course 7 when Alan comes up for the party which means for the first time in our BW house, all spare beds will be used PLUS even a couch!! It's amazing!!
I think in a month or so I am going to sign up to do that 2nd Masters degree by correspondence from University of Portsmouth UK. I really really really feel like I could burn out if I keep on doing JUST the EIA and L&V fields and think that having a 3rd area of expertise on offer could save me by spreading the love across 3 different spectras instead of 2 (that are like, so closely related they're nearly the same damn spectrum). And the programme I'm looking at is a 3 year one but with the extra added bonus that each year you finish gives you a separate certificate that even gives you letters behind your name and everything. HA! Plus, I need a challenge and I admire the way the Mr. is doing his course right now so it fills me with inspiration. The curriculum will be boring (Environmental Health and Safety) but most likely easy and do-able.
Birthday party at Lucy's tonight WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Time to dance the night away before the shit hits the fan.
Starting tomorrow it's gonna be all-hands-on-deck at Planet W., and I'd say that this could conceivably run well into the month of November. But then there's not a whole helluva lot going on in November so the volume should be turned down to audible decibels for a good long while, then.
Fun: Tomorrow Ma & Pa P. descend on us til Monday morning. This combined with the Rugby WC final is going to make for an action-packed weekend. As it's England vs. South Africa in the final, and what with nearly 48% of the expats in Botswana being South African and probably 48% being English, this whole city is on fire, I tell you, on FIRE! It's a whole wave of panic sweeping through Gabz-city at the moment trying to decide where the best venue with the most craic will be... WHO's got dibs on the Cricket Club, WHO called the Yacht Club, HOW big will the screen be at the Gabs Rugby Club, will the English get the rights to the Bull+Bush bar or will the SAfricans be at The Dros??? agh! The Ma & Pa are even up for a night on the town for it, rather than watching from the couch in our ever-so-subdued TV room. Should be exciting... I'm just so nervous for SA...
Not-so-fun: Anyway, then they leave Monday morning, and so do we. The Mr. and myself have to go back up to shithole, BW (7 hrs away) where we were on our long site visit a couple months ago- probably the worst part of the country to have to go on a site visit- to interview a few schools and health clinics about sewerage. NOBODY in that village speaks english. That village is where I got my 1st cellphone pinched. Niiiiiice. Luckily we managed to get a room in the one "decent" hotel this time. Maybe there won't even be any used condom wrappers waiting for us in the bathroom this time... or even a tv with more than one channel??? Whilst there we also have to map out the village for our project team to do interviews in next week WITHOUT US. That's gonna be scary, but I'll just have to keep my phone on. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to pull it off but sending these guys up there with no supervision and trusting them to get the work done and get it done RIGHT kinda scares me. Fingers crossed.
Not-so-fun: Then Tuesday evening we have to haul ass back down here, spend the night, PACK, come into the office on Wednesday for a 1/2 day, then off to Joburg. Dinner with the boys Wednesday night and then fetching Steve & Madge at the airport at 6 &%$£ing 50 in the morning on Thursday. Tour guide, tour guide, tour guide through til Sunday when it's back up here with them (& possibly Alan in tow) and show them around BW for the next week. With intermittent stops into the office I guess. Maybe? Then camping in the bush with those guys PLUS Alan PLUS Jéan probably that next weekend, and then send S&M back down to Jozi with J&A on that sunday evening so they can fly to Cape Town. I'm gonna have to get a trailer for our rig for that camping trip because there is NO WAY all that crap is fitting in the Pajero with 6 people!!! But the more the merrier and this will be our last hoo-ha with J. before he flees the country and moves to Scotland. :-(
Whew!
Not-so-fun: Then the shit will somewhat hit the fan work-wise, that week in November, but whatever.
Fun: I'm looking forward to S&M's visit- they'll be our first friends from Ireland (Alan doesn't count) and they'll surely be coming with all the stories and goss from our best mates over yonder in Cork. I don't know how Madge is gonna handle the African cuisine what with her eating habits but hey I know a Chinese store in town that sells tofu. The problem being the 11th Commandment in Africa is "Thou Shalt Not Braai Without Boerwors and Lamb Chops".
I took a "Sound of Music" trivia quiz on facebook and got 100%. That made me strangely, strangely proud.
Going to the gym is becoming one of my favorite parts of the day. Not only does it exhaust me way more than just running alone, I'm starting to see those visible changes (albeit small ones) that make you even more enthusiastic about fitness. Now knowing that it may be 16 days or so before we get back in the gym, I'm in one of those obnoxious fitness-fiend panics. Not happy, Jan.
Apparently in Feb when our Irish buds are coming down for the visit, there will be no fewer than 4 of them which makes 6 in total with me & the Mr. and of course 7 when Alan comes up for the party which means for the first time in our BW house, all spare beds will be used PLUS even a couch!! It's amazing!!
I think in a month or so I am going to sign up to do that 2nd Masters degree by correspondence from University of Portsmouth UK. I really really really feel like I could burn out if I keep on doing JUST the EIA and L&V fields and think that having a 3rd area of expertise on offer could save me by spreading the love across 3 different spectras instead of 2 (that are like, so closely related they're nearly the same damn spectrum). And the programme I'm looking at is a 3 year one but with the extra added bonus that each year you finish gives you a separate certificate that even gives you letters behind your name and everything. HA! Plus, I need a challenge and I admire the way the Mr. is doing his course right now so it fills me with inspiration. The curriculum will be boring (Environmental Health and Safety) but most likely easy and do-able.
Birthday party at Lucy's tonight WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Time to dance the night away before the shit hits the fan.
0 Responses to “Blogging before hiatus of fun and not-so-fun”
Post a Comment