Happy Anniversary Sorta - and Halloween of course!
1 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 31 October 2007 at 10/31/2007 10:27:00 am.
We always consider Halloween as our "Anniversary of Meeting", even though we technically met for the first time a week or so earlier. But that was just what you might call "cordial introductions" (Roy introducing me to his new roommates at McGinty's Pub and having a few drinks together - nothing earth shaking). Whereas Halloween was when a whole gang of us (including the Mr.) had a big Halloween Party at Maartje and Marije and Doug's house and we ended up hooking up.
I remember that back then if there was a party in the neighbourhood, me & Mili were THERE. No questions asked. So when we heard about the Halloween bash, we naturally cleared our busy schedule of drinking tequila and orange juice at Cool Runnings, and headed over. I remember telling her while we were walking down the road "I think these 2 new dutch guys will be there, you can meet them. Their names are Johan and Johannes" to which she was obviously asking "are either of them hot" and I *think* I said something like well the latter seems nicer than the former, but see what you think. HAHA!
Anyway we got to the party and we were soooooo early and I remember being a wee bit disappointed that there were only like 3 people there (the 2 new ones not included) and then M. was like "this is boring, let's go to the square and get wasted" but we stuck it out with the crowd who was there for a little while (I stuck it out with Oli and she stuck it out with some crazy American chick that I can't remember the name of at the moment but it was something like Shilo or Sherry or Shavone or ??? we all thought she was gay) and soon the party heated up and lots of our friends showed up and lo and behold the Mr. was one of them.
He and I ended up talking up a storm and hanging out by a map discussing geography (woo hoo! good times!) maybe even the geography of Holland which I knew nothing about. I think I decided I liked him about halfway through the party and by the end of the night we were perched up on the kitchen counter slugging down a whole box of no-name generic white wine (yes, I said "box"... class!) and flirting up a storm. The only other subject of conversation I can remember discussing was motorcycles, but basically we talked all frickin night long.
At the end of the night when we were like, the last people at the party, there was this whole song & dance about "walking home". In South Africa, no one walks home alone at night. Nobody. And of course being a chick, this went double for me. And naturally, as I always did, I announced I would be walking home alone. Oli offered to escort me and I was sorta like "uh, great." But then at the last minute, the Mr. remembered his balls and offered to do it instead.
Well, we walked home and ended up shacking up that night. Of course there was that queer awkward "front door moment" and I believe the premise of him coming inside to my place was to listen to some music we'd been talking about on the way home as we held hands and continued the flirty flirty. I remember thinking "man this guy is pretty nice and cool and everything... but he's a smoker, so oh well I guess it ain't going anywhere huh." Not to mention I was going to be leaving SA in just over 2 months, and had just gotten out of a serious (bad) relationship ending in severe heartbreak. Funny how my rule about not dating smokers ended up getting me a husband! (the up shot being that about 8 months later he was 100% smoke free - obviously after I launched the cigarette smack down. What a champ!)
In the morning we ate Jungle Oats (his first time eating porridge ever) at our kitchen table and M. figured it all out by walking in on us sitting at the kitchen table with him in his boxers looking (as she put it) "like a hedgehog". Unfortunately he had to go to do his thing on campus early, and was late, which would prove to begin the slippery slope to resentment of me by his uber-possessive colleague/roommate, but oh well.
And that was the story of Halloween 2000!
And I have the best most beautiful sweetest perfect husband in the world.
Happy Halloween indeed!
I remember that back then if there was a party in the neighbourhood, me & Mili were THERE. No questions asked. So when we heard about the Halloween bash, we naturally cleared our busy schedule of drinking tequila and orange juice at Cool Runnings, and headed over. I remember telling her while we were walking down the road "I think these 2 new dutch guys will be there, you can meet them. Their names are Johan and Johannes" to which she was obviously asking "are either of them hot" and I *think* I said something like well the latter seems nicer than the former, but see what you think. HAHA!
Anyway we got to the party and we were soooooo early and I remember being a wee bit disappointed that there were only like 3 people there (the 2 new ones not included) and then M. was like "this is boring, let's go to the square and get wasted" but we stuck it out with the crowd who was there for a little while (I stuck it out with Oli and she stuck it out with some crazy American chick that I can't remember the name of at the moment but it was something like Shilo or Sherry or Shavone or ??? we all thought she was gay) and soon the party heated up and lots of our friends showed up and lo and behold the Mr. was one of them.
He and I ended up talking up a storm and hanging out by a map discussing geography (woo hoo! good times!) maybe even the geography of Holland which I knew nothing about. I think I decided I liked him about halfway through the party and by the end of the night we were perched up on the kitchen counter slugging down a whole box of no-name generic white wine (yes, I said "box"... class!) and flirting up a storm. The only other subject of conversation I can remember discussing was motorcycles, but basically we talked all frickin night long.
At the end of the night when we were like, the last people at the party, there was this whole song & dance about "walking home". In South Africa, no one walks home alone at night. Nobody. And of course being a chick, this went double for me. And naturally, as I always did, I announced I would be walking home alone. Oli offered to escort me and I was sorta like "uh, great." But then at the last minute, the Mr. remembered his balls and offered to do it instead.
Well, we walked home and ended up shacking up that night. Of course there was that queer awkward "front door moment" and I believe the premise of him coming inside to my place was to listen to some music we'd been talking about on the way home as we held hands and continued the flirty flirty. I remember thinking "man this guy is pretty nice and cool and everything... but he's a smoker, so oh well I guess it ain't going anywhere huh." Not to mention I was going to be leaving SA in just over 2 months, and had just gotten out of a serious (bad) relationship ending in severe heartbreak. Funny how my rule about not dating smokers ended up getting me a husband! (the up shot being that about 8 months later he was 100% smoke free - obviously after I launched the cigarette smack down. What a champ!)
In the morning we ate Jungle Oats (his first time eating porridge ever) at our kitchen table and M. figured it all out by walking in on us sitting at the kitchen table with him in his boxers looking (as she put it) "like a hedgehog". Unfortunately he had to go to do his thing on campus early, and was late, which would prove to begin the slippery slope to resentment of me by his uber-possessive colleague/roommate, but oh well.
And that was the story of Halloween 2000!
And I have the best most beautiful sweetest perfect husband in the world.
Happy Halloween indeed!
You slut!!! Hooked up with him on your 1st date?!
Ok, that happened with me and DH too. He said he knew we were going to be together so why postpone it? I fought him off for 5 hours though!
We both got great hubbies! And DH was a smoker too but I put a stop to that within the month!