User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Phoenix Rising out of the Bathroom

Boy howdy were we sick!

HOO HA! Lo and behold our first respective sick days as small business owners came on the same day (friday). Now how lucky is that. As Padraig so sweetly put it "Jesus, WTF must you do EVERYTHING together!?!?!?"

Firstly, on Thursday the Mr. started to go down around lunch time. He felt totally tired and exhausted (for no good reason - I mean after all the week DID start out with sleeping 10 Hours!) But I felt fine. I figured it was just him getting back into the swing of things after having visitors and then going through the mean ol' wife's Road to Fitness Recovery Programme. At any rate, the boy said "let's go home" at 4pm... unheard of! So I said "hell yeah!" but I was thinking "uh oh, this isn't good... he must be on death's door".

Upon arrival in the house, he got fits of shivers. I wrapped him up in a winter duvet of like 300 Togs, and he was STILL shivering. This later turned into the sweats and then back to shivers. I made it through til about 8pm before it hit me. We spent the worst night of our life in night swimming in sweat and shivering at the same time. Up and down to the toilet (thank god for that en suite!) about a hundred times each, including a stint with me face down on the bathroom tiles. Niiice.

Friday = incapacitated on the couch(es).
Saturday = semi-incapacitated on the couch(es)
Sunday = feeling human again, still best friends with the toilet though
Today = both back at work, nearly 90%. Whew.

Thank god for satellite TV. And for the fact that South Africa was playing New Zealand in the cricket which made for several hours over 2 whole days of good, solid, zone-in, zone-out t.v. watching.

Oh yeah, and we also finally joined the rest of the entire civilization of Planet Earth by catching "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" or whatever that first one was called, movie, while we were immobile. Both of us actually thought it was satisfyingly entertaining, but then again with the delirium of 3 days worth of empty stomach and dehydration, I probably would've thought anything was cute that didn't necessitate the actual process of pressing.... down.... remote control....button.... ouch.....

(NB: Now so many of those halloween photos from my friends' kids & the internet all of a sudden make sense!)

ugh. 3 days of nothing but Sprite and dry toast and packet chicken noodle soup. Yet being tortured continually by Food TV! A paradox from hell!

Upshot = I lost 3kg in the process!! WOO HOO! Man if I could always look like my "post-sick-weight", I'd never have another diet/exercise worry again. (but it always comes back if it's from being sick. doesn't it. ~sigh~)

At any rate, I'm using the 3kg head start to my advantage, and making sure that starting from this point, the Wayward Child's Road to Fitness regimen is going to include the following new amended measures:
- the "no over-eating strategy" complete with water drinking
- the "less wheat" caveat.
- no beer until xmas (hello gin and red wine)

Hopefully this strategy will ensure that I don't just piss away the 3kg of grace. This is the year of the Me_Getting_Hella_Fit.

In non-health-related issues, it appears that S&M are safely back in Aus, and soon we'll be looking at his (Steve's) Round 2 of magnificent photos on his blog. I know I'm checking it every day b/c I just can't wait to re-live the moments. Cheesey, but true. Not even gonna backspace that and edit it for posterity. Nope! I'm looking forward to seeing what they saw in Cape Town.

In finance news, today, the Wayward Children have decided to commit to opening a RothIRA account. Just so happens my bank back in the old hometown has a magnificent website instructing and advising of just how these mysterious things work, and thanks to our friends with finance-brains, we are inspired. The vision is to get a nice, cliché combo of property + funds going. Property is already sorted, so now we just need to get the funds. That's where Mr. Ira Roth is going to come in. So today we decided to hop on the ship o' inspiration and chuck in the first $2,000. To be added to in yearly chunks of $3,000. We see that we're gonna need to up that $3,000 to a higher number, soon, but for now we just need to get SOMETHING in there. Last year we saved $2000 and just have it sitting around, so that's where the initial bit is coming from. the $3000 monthly will be coming out of salary.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
MAN that was one boring-ass paragraph! I can't even believe it came from my fingers!

Now I gotta play catch up and do some serious work, after I eat this divine (not) packet of chicken noodle soup. Whilst la Bella A. has been inspiring me with financial advice goodness, Brandon has been inspiring me with life strategies: "....only do the things that will make you happy tomorrow. Obvious example for this is...if you eat the whole chocolate cake you'll be happy right now...but...tomorrow you'll kick yourself for it." For me, that translates into: "get the damn institutional survey shit written up into your report instead of just procrastinating and ignoring it. you'll be happy tomorrow rather than pissed off with yourself for being such a slack-ass loser"!!

mmm, powdered chicken noodle soup time.

0 Responses to “Phoenix Rising out of the Bathroom”

Post a Comment



© 2006