User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Piggy Aftermath

Holy SHIT did I eat a lot last night!!!

The Turkey landed alright, at my house.....

On a whim at around 11 a.m. the Mr and I decided to wing it, and so we went to our local upmarket expat-oriented boutique foodie store, and bought a small turkey (only place in town you can get a turkey). It was frozen. We tried leaving it in the car in the sun, to defrost ASAP, but unfortunately the heavens picked yesterday to open up with a big cloudy thunderstormy day and there wasn't a sunbeam to be found in the sky.

This yielded a situation whereby it was 5pm and the Mr. was standing in our kitchen, hair dryer in hand, shoved up the butt of a rock-hard turkey. We ate at approximately 9:30. That's not such a bad deal or anything, but unlike my fellow countrymen, our office did not have friday off, so things were moving a wee bit slow today.

Team W. tore up the kitchen in a whirlwind of activity throwing everything together. Seriously, it was like "Hurricane W" or "Ws on Fire" MAN we zipped through no less than 5 recipes (for 2 people... naturally... as you do....) in 3 hours and they all turned out delicious. Thank god we only bought a 5kg turkey or we would've been dining at midnight. Petra couldn't make it b/c she was under the weather, so yeah, it was an honest to goodness american pigging out session on the backs of just the 2 of us. In all actuality it was probably more "authentic" than the one we did in ireland that once with Family C. Hell I remember that dinner with a vengance - dinner was over before me or the Mr. had even had 3 bites of food! DOH!

The recipes we made were:

Turkey (duh)
(stuffed with) Sausage & Apricot bread stuffing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes with créme fraiche
Southern candied sweet potatoes
Green beans with bacon
Cranberry stuff (purchased - woo hoo!)
Pecan pie (purchased - woo hoo!)

We each drank a cider while we were cooking, then 1 glass of red wine pre-dinner, then 1 glass of white wine with dinner, then the all-important after-thanksgiving-dinner PORT. I felt wasted. After 4 drinks over 4 hours! What has become of me?

(oh wait - maybe not eating from 1pm til 9:30? just a thought)

Here's a bizarre tidbit - not one phone call from the motherland. Weird only because typically at least SOMEONE rings, even if it's just the sibling. I think I'm gettin' frozen out indeed. Oh well, we all know it only woulda driven me crazy anyway, particularly getting SOMEONE on the phone who won't let you get a word in edgewise and starts motormouthing at a billion miles an hour and then passing the phone around so everyone who actually has NOTHING to say to you can get a chance to go uhhhhhhhhhhh.... howzit!

anyway, it's all for the best.

I just agreed with Petra to cook for 14 of our closest friends this weekend. what the HELL was I thinking?

3 Responses to “Piggy Aftermath”

  1. # Blogger Sandra

    What a feast! Sounds delicious...i'm conntemplating the thought of having turkey for our Christmas lunch, i've never had it before - any tips for cooking it?  

  2. # Blogger Oh Wayward One

    the secret is all in the stuffing and the basting to keep it moist! also we just found out this year that the smaller the bird the less dry! I can send you recipes if you want - I'm telling you this stuffing is amazing stuff!  

  3. # Blogger Sandra

    Yes please - any turkey tips are most welcomed! Mind you now that i've decided to cook a turkey it'll probably be a 40 degrees day! I better put an order in for a bird!!!  

Post a Comment



© 2006