2 weeks from today... AND a complimentary salad recipe!!!
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 25 January 2008 at 1/25/2008 12:05:00 pm.
exactly 14 days and counting, my buddies arrive!
I'm so excited!
P. has been hassling me for a timeline/itinerary for the 2 weeks that they'll be there (as I have been diligently planning for months now) and part of me is tempted to just not give up the information because
a) what if it doesn't look as fun on paper as it will be in real life?
b) what if I forgot something?
c) what if one of my plans is impractical due to weather and everyone's hopes are dashed?
d) what if writing it all out makes me too excited to even think straight?
well, notwithstanding a small inkling of "all of the above", it's mainly d)!! It's going to be so much fun it's going to hurt. Pain of anticipation... it's a bitch!
I am thoroughly enjoying my cookbook of just salads that my divine husband got me for xmas. One in particular is a watercress and spinach salad with prawns and a spicy Thai dressing. It's so refreshing and delicious I've made it twice in 2 weeks. It goes like this:
400g cooked and prepared prawns (tails on or off, whatever)
85g watercress
250g baby spinach leaves
150g sugar snap peas sliced in half, long-ways
3 spring onions sliced in half long-ways, then bias-chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 ripe mango peeled and sliced into long strips
Handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
the flesh of 1 lime (all torn up).
All of the above goes into yer good ol' big fat salad bowl, and is then drenched in the following dressing, combined and all mixed up in a jug/small pitcher/glass/whatever:
3 Tablespoons fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime (I use lemon when we've got no limes)
1 red chili diced finely (and de-seeded if the heat is too much)
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 clove of finely minced garlic
1 small knob of peeled ginger, minced finely
3 Tablespoons of any tasty high-end oil (i.e. sesame, ground nut, hemp, etc) I use sesame.
BOY HOWDY THAT IS GOOD STUFF!!
Speaking of spice, tonight after gym, we go out for thai food with Dave, who's in town for 3 days on a project and just so happens to have time for a bit of a piss up and some good eatin' on the fly. The one thai restaurant in town is really funny. It's a bit of a dive and there is karaoke on offer. You can even go into a "private room" :-o in the restaurant to do your karaoke, if you don't feel like doing it in front of the (typically) 3 other patrons of said restaurant.
Wednesday at the gym Ubah made me do her kickboxing class with her which normally I hate, but I was up for it because wednesday afternoons are so crowded on the machines et al that sometimes I get fed up. So we went to the class anyway and even though I still don't like the whole kickboxing aerobics-thing, AND I didnt think the instructor was all that great, I was amazed at how fit I actually am just from having joined the gym over the last 5 months or whatever. Of course it's always been: run a few miles with no trouble, play a whole soccer game with no worries, 40minutes of rugby, whatever. But I've never actually put any effort into developing any upper body strength or my core muscles. It's just always been endurance and keeping the weight down. But now when I do a class like that for 1 hour I'm hardly breathing hard by the end, and yet I realize all these other chicks are dropping like flies because not only do they haven't developed good cardio, but they also have no core strength, and are all slumped over/can't hold themselves upright AND do aerobic activity at the same time. It made me quite chuffed with my progress, which I hadn't really even been aware of til now. Long live the gym!
Reggie is getting so old. It makes me so sad. I think his bladder is on the way downhill now, what with us having 2 accidents in the house, in as many days. The poor guy just doesn't have so much control over it anymore. With this new development, just has to come us changing our routine for the old guy a little bit. i.e. letting him out every couple of hours, supervised, so that we know he's actually going pee and not just drinking more water and sniffing around instead of peeing. Not to mention actually waking up and taking him out during the night if he asks (as opposed to the current "NO REGGIE! GO TO BED!" drill that we've been working for the last, oh, 6 years!).
I'm so excited!
P. has been hassling me for a timeline/itinerary for the 2 weeks that they'll be there (as I have been diligently planning for months now) and part of me is tempted to just not give up the information because
a) what if it doesn't look as fun on paper as it will be in real life?
b) what if I forgot something?
c) what if one of my plans is impractical due to weather and everyone's hopes are dashed?
d) what if writing it all out makes me too excited to even think straight?
well, notwithstanding a small inkling of "all of the above", it's mainly d)!! It's going to be so much fun it's going to hurt. Pain of anticipation... it's a bitch!
I am thoroughly enjoying my cookbook of just salads that my divine husband got me for xmas. One in particular is a watercress and spinach salad with prawns and a spicy Thai dressing. It's so refreshing and delicious I've made it twice in 2 weeks. It goes like this:
400g cooked and prepared prawns (tails on or off, whatever)
85g watercress
250g baby spinach leaves
150g sugar snap peas sliced in half, long-ways
3 spring onions sliced in half long-ways, then bias-chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 ripe mango peeled and sliced into long strips
Handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
the flesh of 1 lime (all torn up).
All of the above goes into yer good ol' big fat salad bowl, and is then drenched in the following dressing, combined and all mixed up in a jug/small pitcher/glass/whatever:
3 Tablespoons fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime (I use lemon when we've got no limes)
1 red chili diced finely (and de-seeded if the heat is too much)
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 clove of finely minced garlic
1 small knob of peeled ginger, minced finely
3 Tablespoons of any tasty high-end oil (i.e. sesame, ground nut, hemp, etc) I use sesame.
BOY HOWDY THAT IS GOOD STUFF!!
Speaking of spice, tonight after gym, we go out for thai food with Dave, who's in town for 3 days on a project and just so happens to have time for a bit of a piss up and some good eatin' on the fly. The one thai restaurant in town is really funny. It's a bit of a dive and there is karaoke on offer. You can even go into a "private room" :-o in the restaurant to do your karaoke, if you don't feel like doing it in front of the (typically) 3 other patrons of said restaurant.
Wednesday at the gym Ubah made me do her kickboxing class with her which normally I hate, but I was up for it because wednesday afternoons are so crowded on the machines et al that sometimes I get fed up. So we went to the class anyway and even though I still don't like the whole kickboxing aerobics-thing, AND I didnt think the instructor was all that great, I was amazed at how fit I actually am just from having joined the gym over the last 5 months or whatever. Of course it's always been: run a few miles with no trouble, play a whole soccer game with no worries, 40minutes of rugby, whatever. But I've never actually put any effort into developing any upper body strength or my core muscles. It's just always been endurance and keeping the weight down. But now when I do a class like that for 1 hour I'm hardly breathing hard by the end, and yet I realize all these other chicks are dropping like flies because not only do they haven't developed good cardio, but they also have no core strength, and are all slumped over/can't hold themselves upright AND do aerobic activity at the same time. It made me quite chuffed with my progress, which I hadn't really even been aware of til now. Long live the gym!
Reggie is getting so old. It makes me so sad. I think his bladder is on the way downhill now, what with us having 2 accidents in the house, in as many days. The poor guy just doesn't have so much control over it anymore. With this new development, just has to come us changing our routine for the old guy a little bit. i.e. letting him out every couple of hours, supervised, so that we know he's actually going pee and not just drinking more water and sniffing around instead of peeing. Not to mention actually waking up and taking him out during the night if he asks (as opposed to the current "NO REGGIE! GO TO BED!" drill that we've been working for the last, oh, 6 years!).
0 Responses to “2 weeks from today... AND a complimentary salad recipe!!!”
Post a Comment