Coffee Time Friday Yammerings.
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 18 January 2008 at 1/18/2008 08:47:00 am.
The Mr. had never heard me say the word "yammering" until this morning. He didn't know what it meant. New vocab for everybody!!! I wonder if that's one of the 2000 english words that William Shakespeare just made up and happened to stick and become real english vocabulary. (this is how I think, whilst reading that damn Bill Bryson book about the English language: Mother Tongue.
We're still having these big thunderstorms with regularity. I'm dead scared of the Irish guys getting here in exactly 3 weeks from today, to bad weather. Well, luxurious weather for us anyway, but everybody comes to Africa for the sunshine!
Those dutch guys wouldn't SHUT UP all throughout the xmas-new year's trip up north, whenever it would rain. whinge, whinge, whinge. moan, moan, moan. Like climate change and global warming is MY fault or something.
At any rate, today I'm rejoicing. Actually yesterday I was as well. The project that has been weighing me down since 8 months ago finally got submitted to the client yesterday morning, and I spent the rest of the day feeling 10kg lighter. Celebration time hoo-ha! I caught up on some email, even some chatting, even some web surfing... the whole slacker routine. And loved it. THATS how one should feel on a daily basis. Stress-free.
Now I also feel like I have a clean slate to work with. I can take these new years resolutions to the next projects and do my thing from the beginning. Not feel like every project is some monkey on my back, and then hate my job because of it. Man! I'm really likin' this January thing. What's weird is that I never had this feeling before... 2008 is really getting into me. Does that come with getting old? Or is my life just that much more simpler nowadays that anything and everything can rock me to the core like a simple month? or what?
Oh yeah and I just checked my online FedEx thingy and my strings were in transit from Johannesburg as of yesterday evening. sha-zam.
I made chicken, prawn, and sausage jambalaya last night. It was really good. I'm putting it on the menu for "the Irish Invasion (&Rachel)" when they get here. It was really spicy and goes hella good with cold beer. I've been thinking a lot about menu planning for when they get here because I need meals that I can make that serve 7 (including 1 Alan, so that's basically what, 15?) as well as are fast and easy because whenever I'm cooking for people in my house I get really distracted and there tends to be drinking involved. Not good for my concentration and ability to cook intricate and impressive feasts. Plus A & A are really into good food and have similar taste to ours (spicy and adventurous!) so those are my favourite kind of guests to have.
My poor boy Jéan is homesick for SA already. I told him pissing off to Glasgow was not the way to (glas)go.... but alas, nobody listens to me. Still it's bitter sweet because that means he's coming back as soon as he can. Just has to figure out what he wants to do with his life. Being 30 years old and stuck in career purgatory... and in the rain to boot! Man what a kick in the ass.
Went to the deli for lunch yesterday and (again) ended up having a neighbourhood reunion of sorts. Mr. & Mrs. H from next door, and S. from the "other" next door. We sat with the H's and I just love them so much. Reminds me of Ma and Pa P. and they're just so easy to talk to. They gave us some really good ideas of an option for when my aunt and uncle and cousin and gf come over in March. Low budget and somewhere BESIDES the old standby where we ALWAYS go for weekends around here. Somewhat "family friendly", so to speak. So yesterday when I was celebrating LACK OF work pressure after finishing my project, I dove head-first into researching Groot Marico.
At the same time, Tadhg wrote me and said he's going to go on holidays to the USA in August and would I help him plan a bit of an itinerary for him and his buddies. Dern tootin' I will!! oooooohhhhhhh how I love planning trips. Makes me so excited and yet jealous at the same time. I asked him a few questions about what he really wants to do (besides NYC... as all the Irish must do.... groaaannn) and when he gets back to me we'll be off and running. He expressed interest in a road trip, also in doing some outdoorsy things, and even taking one internal flight to somewhere outside of the east coast, so that's actually a good palate to work with. I'm thinking of suggesting some sort of road trip from Memphis to New Orleans along Highway 61 for one week. Those boys can drink like the dickens so they would definitely appreciate both start and end points on that one. There was even talk of them hiring a camper van. :-o
the possibilities are endless.
This weekend I have nothing planned yet. That feels weird. I may get a lot of reading done - that would be odd.
The Mr. has generously bestowed upon me a break during my work day to write this blog, as he is busy coming up with our new list of assignments for the coming work period. When he is done, we rendezvous, and I find out how busy I'm going to be in the coming weeks. I see him scribbling away like a madman and the list is already a whole page long. I'm scared.
We're still having these big thunderstorms with regularity. I'm dead scared of the Irish guys getting here in exactly 3 weeks from today, to bad weather. Well, luxurious weather for us anyway, but everybody comes to Africa for the sunshine!
Those dutch guys wouldn't SHUT UP all throughout the xmas-new year's trip up north, whenever it would rain. whinge, whinge, whinge. moan, moan, moan. Like climate change and global warming is MY fault or something.
At any rate, today I'm rejoicing. Actually yesterday I was as well. The project that has been weighing me down since 8 months ago finally got submitted to the client yesterday morning, and I spent the rest of the day feeling 10kg lighter. Celebration time hoo-ha! I caught up on some email, even some chatting, even some web surfing... the whole slacker routine. And loved it. THATS how one should feel on a daily basis. Stress-free.
Now I also feel like I have a clean slate to work with. I can take these new years resolutions to the next projects and do my thing from the beginning. Not feel like every project is some monkey on my back, and then hate my job because of it. Man! I'm really likin' this January thing. What's weird is that I never had this feeling before... 2008 is really getting into me. Does that come with getting old? Or is my life just that much more simpler nowadays that anything and everything can rock me to the core like a simple month? or what?
Oh yeah and I just checked my online FedEx thingy and my strings were in transit from Johannesburg as of yesterday evening. sha-zam.
I made chicken, prawn, and sausage jambalaya last night. It was really good. I'm putting it on the menu for "the Irish Invasion (&Rachel)" when they get here. It was really spicy and goes hella good with cold beer. I've been thinking a lot about menu planning for when they get here because I need meals that I can make that serve 7 (including 1 Alan, so that's basically what, 15?) as well as are fast and easy because whenever I'm cooking for people in my house I get really distracted and there tends to be drinking involved. Not good for my concentration and ability to cook intricate and impressive feasts. Plus A & A are really into good food and have similar taste to ours (spicy and adventurous!) so those are my favourite kind of guests to have.
My poor boy Jéan is homesick for SA already. I told him pissing off to Glasgow was not the way to (glas)go.... but alas, nobody listens to me. Still it's bitter sweet because that means he's coming back as soon as he can. Just has to figure out what he wants to do with his life. Being 30 years old and stuck in career purgatory... and in the rain to boot! Man what a kick in the ass.
Went to the deli for lunch yesterday and (again) ended up having a neighbourhood reunion of sorts. Mr. & Mrs. H from next door, and S. from the "other" next door. We sat with the H's and I just love them so much. Reminds me of Ma and Pa P. and they're just so easy to talk to. They gave us some really good ideas of an option for when my aunt and uncle and cousin and gf come over in March. Low budget and somewhere BESIDES the old standby where we ALWAYS go for weekends around here. Somewhat "family friendly", so to speak. So yesterday when I was celebrating LACK OF work pressure after finishing my project, I dove head-first into researching Groot Marico.
At the same time, Tadhg wrote me and said he's going to go on holidays to the USA in August and would I help him plan a bit of an itinerary for him and his buddies. Dern tootin' I will!! oooooohhhhhhh how I love planning trips. Makes me so excited and yet jealous at the same time. I asked him a few questions about what he really wants to do (besides NYC... as all the Irish must do.... groaaannn) and when he gets back to me we'll be off and running. He expressed interest in a road trip, also in doing some outdoorsy things, and even taking one internal flight to somewhere outside of the east coast, so that's actually a good palate to work with. I'm thinking of suggesting some sort of road trip from Memphis to New Orleans along Highway 61 for one week. Those boys can drink like the dickens so they would definitely appreciate both start and end points on that one. There was even talk of them hiring a camper van. :-o
the possibilities are endless.
This weekend I have nothing planned yet. That feels weird. I may get a lot of reading done - that would be odd.
The Mr. has generously bestowed upon me a break during my work day to write this blog, as he is busy coming up with our new list of assignments for the coming work period. When he is done, we rendezvous, and I find out how busy I'm going to be in the coming weeks. I see him scribbling away like a madman and the list is already a whole page long. I'm scared.
0 Responses to “Coffee Time Friday Yammerings.”
Post a Comment