User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Mission Accomplished: A tale of board games and card games

The parental units are gone.

Voila! I have survived!

It was bizarre and mysterious and utterly bamboozling at times, and semi-pleasant at times, and absolute hell at times. But I'm still here, we're all still alive, and I only puked once.

(I got some sort of weird poisoning going on while they were here. )

Um, yeah, so anyway. I'm snowed under with all this catch-up crap in my lap now that I've been off for the last week, so I won't blog it all out now but let's say that the 6 days they were here was full of peaks and valleys. To represent such, I'll take 5 minutes here to record one of each.

Low point of the week: And lo and behold it wasn't even related to the Mominator!! Unusually and disappointingly it was Ma P. And there was Scrabble (my favorite game!) involved. Note to self: only certain people can HANDLE BOARD GAMES. We were all 6 down at GM for the weekend and we were playing Scrabble... Me, the Mr., and Ma P. Well let's just say Ma P. isn't too great at the game, and was continually whinging and arguing about elements such as scoring, high-number words, challenges, etc. I could make her sound better by saying that justifies what happened but... um, no. People on my shit list get no excuses. Let me first preface by saying that she and I have a special relationship due to our similarities - like sense of humour and sarcasm... anyway so she's picking on me during this game (because I'm winning) and the Mr & I are picking on her back (because she doesn't get it) and we're doing our usual thing and all of a sudden, when I say "hey, if you think I'm full of crap, just ask my dad if that's legal!" she just freaks out and throws her tiles on the ground and storms off. Seriously. Every tile wiped from the board so me and the Mr. couldn't even finish playing by ourselves if we wanted to. Just like a 5 year old. I am not kidding, nor exaggerating to make myself sound like the injusticed one.

I was disgusted and disgusted some more. It was awkward and retarded and generally all around disgusting. Talk about weirdness hanging in the air. 69 year old woman behaving like a kid. Did I mention the level of disgust? Pa P. was watching the whole thing and was disgusted with her behaviour too. My parents only heard the crashing tiles as they were on the other side of the room as if nothing happened, in their typical style. What REALLY pisses me off though, is that it happened in front of the 'rents and now gives them ammunition to add to their "devil child" arsenal as in "now it's official: EVERYONE thinks you're horrible"!! I even heard my dad say to her as she stormed over to where they were "I understand, I understand" as in "isn't she the WORST???" UGH! and both the Mr. and Pa P. agreed with me that I didn't say ANYTHING out of order. Chalk it up to menopause I guess.

Moral of the story: no more board games with certain people.

Either way I do NOT see her in the same light at all, and will continue to wonder if this is going to affect the future. That's how disgusted I am! Like, next time I go down to SA for the weekend, will I even bother dropping by? For the record, *I* had to stand up straight and go deliver a very vague "I'm sorry about last night" type apology the next day, so at least our last day together wouldn't be completely ruined. Oh sure there were tears and apologies from her, but if I hadn't done my bit, nothing would've ever been said. And I find that pretty disgraceful and weird. Oh, top that off with her excuse for her behaviour: "you're just not very nice to your mother and it really bothers me and it just built up all weekend and set me off..." WTF?!?!

Now for the high point: The mominator and the dadster have played a certain card game with their buddies the F's for over 30 years now. I have childhood memories of them putting me to bed when I was little and me being woken up to the sounds of screaming and laughing and all sorts of card-game-type-banter around the dining room table whenever the F's would be over for dinner. ANyway one night while they were here this week, they taught the Mr. and I how to play... it's a game for 4.... we played every night they were here and it was a BLAST. Even with the parental units. And it's always played boys vs. girls so I even had to be like, within 1 foot of the mominator in a teamwork environment. And it was still fun! The whole time, as long as we were playing cards, we were getting along. Hmmmm....

I think the moral of this story is that I could potentially have a humane relationship with a certain someone, so long as there is a card game involved. Could make car rides and dinner times a bit bizarre, though.

Oh yeah, side note: I was already in the doghouse with the mominator when the whole Ma P. debacle went down. I don't know why, exactly (well obviously because I'm just a horrible person who treats innocent people like crap?) but she was pouting about SOMETHING. Anyway, the shit went down and Ma P. stormed off and played cards with my parents, leaving us sitting on the other side of the room bamboozled. The mominator acted like nothing happened. BUT after Ma P went to bed, the mominator was all over me with kindness. It was really bizarre. Like some stranger had beat her dog or something. It was mommy-territorial behaviour. She visibly felt sorry for me, for getting punished by another mommy. All hugging me and asking if we wanted to play cards with them and stuff. Weird.

Of course the next day she and Ma P are all best-buddies and taking long walks together and having deep and meaningful conversations about how horrible I am. I know b/c the Mr. also confronted her about "last night" and she filled him with tales of how sympathetic she was to the Mominator for having such a horrible spawn on her hands (after hearing "the one about how the devil child never emails her grandmother" and other assorted soliloquies of hardship).

Whatever. My dad congratulated me today on surviving and being able to get along with the M. for 6 whole days. Mission accomplished!

2 Responses to “Mission Accomplished: A tale of board games and card games”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Shall I ship you the beagle bassety so you can have ebven more dogful companionsip in the house?  

  2. # Blogger Oh Wayward One

    Please! That's one thing I'm running low on at the moment  

Post a Comment



© 2006