User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


The End of the W is Nigh...

One more day til america gets a new president (elect)! Woo hoo! 8 years of pain and suffering and hiding from my own country is just around the corner!

Because of the time difference, I'm just hoping I don't wake up tomorrow morning and turn on the news and it's all still hanging in the balance with The Great White Chipmunk holding strong in Florida or something. I'll never forget being the only american for miles back in South Africa in November of 2000.... getting raked over the coals.... "Are your people SERIOUS?? Who the hell is Hanging Chad and how long does it take to count the &^#*ing ballots!?!?"

I'm still not happy with Obama, not by a long shot, but I do feel like he is what the country needs right now insofar as I do agree with Bono (bleh!) that it is way past time to re-launch "Brand USA" and I do think B.O. can do that. So, I diligently throw in my democratic ballot and just have to cross my fingers in hopes that somewhere along the way one of his brilliant advisers can shoot him the memo that there is no such thing as "clean coal" and that NEWSFLASH!, nuclear power makes.... nuclear WASTE?!

It was a great weekend around these parts. Actually the last 2 have been pretty great notwithstanding the fact that I've had to study my butt off and have had Animal People obligations out the wazoo. The pool is officially sparkling clean now, thanks to the Mr.'s hard work and new early morning routine, so we spent every spare minute in it, which was a divine way to take a study break.

Saturday was a little SPCA fund raiser with the local lawn bowls club so we made a giant Steve & Madonna Special (pasta salad with apple & avo) to contribute to the lunch spread that we were providing as part of the package, and spent the day there helping out and learning how to play one of the more enjoyable geriatric sports with the uppercrust white haired crowd, and it was fun! We only raised about 3,500 bucks but that's not bad for the minimal effort we had to put in. That will pay about one admin salary for one month or neuter about 17 cats. It's frustrating, but it's part of the gig.

The best part ever though was a phone call from my best friend back home (who surprisingly enough is NOT pregnant NOR is she getting married... just felt like calling.... Well THATS a first!!) so I got to hang out and talk to H-2tha-G for over an hour while watching the best lightning & thunder storm ever. It was SO right on top of our house that the lightning literally hurt your eyes. After I got off the phone we had a power cut so me & the Mr. spent a romantic hour out on the stoep watching the drama and listening to the Pula pound on the tin roof... wondering... is it really true that you shouldn't be in the pool during this kind of stuff? I said we would've probably been safe what with all the lightning rods in the neighbourhood and tall trees and granite hills, but he reckons it would be certain death. So we only just dipped in really quick (since you can't shower w/o power) and ran back up to the stoep & sat there til 1am.

Last night we went over to Sue & Max for dinner & a little too much Pino Grigio but it was great fun and a really nice way to wind up the weekend PLUS we were home for the double bill of Will & Grace that makes any sunday night complete. And a plunge in the pool right before bed.

It's only FIVE WEEKS til we're outta here!!!! That also means 5 weeks til my semester is over and I can get a freakin' break!!! I'm excited to go back home for one, but I'm also just excited to have a new horizon to look toward just around the corner. I have not got one clue as to what's happening in 2009 (past flying out of DC in early Jan + a site visit up to Chobe for a work project in mid-Jan + M&J coming to visit in late-Jan and then B. coming to visit in March). It's all a mystery, which is pretty cool. I just wish the Chiefs didn't suck so bad. It would be nice to actually be able to be getting into the spirit of football when we're back home rather than realizing my life dream of sitting in Arrowhead and watching them play live and cringing with every move they make... DOH!

Labels:

0 Responses to “The End of the W is Nigh...”

Post a Comment



© 2006