From the Yum Files
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 11 November 2008 at 11/11/2008 10:40:00 am.
Whenever I have the peeps over for dinner I obsess for days in advance over what I'm making.
Saturday night I decided on enchiladas (people on this side of the planet are so impressed with mexican food - what gives!?! Oh wait, there are no Taco Bells nor Madre y Padre Cantinas - I keep forgetting), but I gave it a twist and did said enchiladas in the potjie. Mangler gave me a recipe awhile back for Dutch Oven enchiladas on the campfire, I just spun it african style & made them potjie instead of dutch oven. I did the holy trinity, 4 of each: beef, cheese, and chicken. They were awesome. P promptly poached my recipe for her next trip into the bush at xmas. Actually she did dessert on Sat., and it was a great idea: a simple fruit salad with de-seeded finely diced red birds' eye chili, and shavings of dark chocolate (with chili). And ice cream on the side. I'm not a big dessert person, nor ice cream person, but if it's fruit, I'll eat it. And the whole fruit + chili thing was a lekker idea.
At the moment I am a hovering 53-54kg, depending on the time of day or the night before. The last year or so I've been 54-55kg but my mission is to be holding steady at a solid 53, before flying out on the 10th of December. Which is a month from now, so every day counts. Every crumb, every gym workout, every G&T instead of Savannah or Amstel. It's rough, but worth it, because I don't want the guilts over xmas... I'd rather suffer now than in the looming face of po'boys and mexican joints and OMG Madison's hot wings. We'll still be working out over the holidays, so that will at least ensure I don't come back in January with a whopping 57kg under my belt or something, but I will NOT be able to avoid all the american goodies that I only get to sample every 4 years anyway... no way. -sigh- life is hard on the road to fitness.
Saturday night I decided on enchiladas (people on this side of the planet are so impressed with mexican food - what gives!?! Oh wait, there are no Taco Bells nor Madre y Padre Cantinas - I keep forgetting), but I gave it a twist and did said enchiladas in the potjie. Mangler gave me a recipe awhile back for Dutch Oven enchiladas on the campfire, I just spun it african style & made them potjie instead of dutch oven. I did the holy trinity, 4 of each: beef, cheese, and chicken. They were awesome. P promptly poached my recipe for her next trip into the bush at xmas. Actually she did dessert on Sat., and it was a great idea: a simple fruit salad with de-seeded finely diced red birds' eye chili, and shavings of dark chocolate (with chili). And ice cream on the side. I'm not a big dessert person, nor ice cream person, but if it's fruit, I'll eat it. And the whole fruit + chili thing was a lekker idea.
At the moment I am a hovering 53-54kg, depending on the time of day or the night before. The last year or so I've been 54-55kg but my mission is to be holding steady at a solid 53, before flying out on the 10th of December. Which is a month from now, so every day counts. Every crumb, every gym workout, every G&T instead of Savannah or Amstel. It's rough, but worth it, because I don't want the guilts over xmas... I'd rather suffer now than in the looming face of po'boys and mexican joints and OMG Madison's hot wings. We'll still be working out over the holidays, so that will at least ensure I don't come back in January with a whopping 57kg under my belt or something, but I will NOT be able to avoid all the american goodies that I only get to sample every 4 years anyway... no way. -sigh- life is hard on the road to fitness.
0 Responses to “From the Yum Files”
Post a Comment