Today will be a good day.
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 29 April 2009 at 4/29/2009 08:20:00 am.
I have been rather uninspired to blog lately, and yet I'm busy enough that there's lots of things going on that probably deserve to be written about for my own journaling sake, I just need more motivation (or time)!
First of all the annual Queen's Day party spread put on by the dutchie embassy was last night and it was pretty fun, except for the fact it was a reminder that all our friends have flown the coop. Normally all 3 of our MIA BFFs would've been there - Ubs b/c her FIL is dutch, and P & G because they are the dutch. I'm feeling really annoyed and sad these days about the fact that our social life has basically just about vaporized since the new year, because of this. Like we were thinking, when Soo & Mx had to back out of our Easter trip, we would have probably only had 2 other friends that we actually like well enough to invite them to go instead, here. And of course they couldn't get the time off work, but still it makes me think... why am I spending my young adulthood in a place where I have no buddies?!?!? G-city is really like a small country town when it comes right down to it, and it's hard to think optimistically about finding like-minded people our age to hang with, particularly when it's such a transient society and everyone's coming and going with the wind, on their UNDP contracts or their Peace Corps training sessions or their World Bank grants, etc.
Anyway I was just lecturing Brandon on the importance of being positive the other night, so I'm whipping myself into "chin up, kid" mode and have resolved to just press on with optimism. Taking a page out of my own book, as it were. Replacing the negatives with positives, etc. This coming Saturday I invited Soo & Mx over for dinner, they haven't seen the new place yet and we need to bond because I gotta look after my slowly dwindling peeps. Pro-active, that's me.
Tonight we have the Annual General Meeting of the Animal Peeps Society, which could turn into a kerfuffle with a dash of uproar and a sprinkling of aggro, but I'll be interested to see exactly what happens. Elections will be held, grievances will be aired, disgruntleds will be grunted. Watch this space. All I know for certain is that The Mr. is not going to stand for Treasurer again, but we're probably both going to be on the committee another year. Then THAT'S IT. Fer real. One more year.
I'm enjoying Twitter. I joined up because of Brandon and came on totally green - didn't even know what the hell he was talking about. But it's grown on me. Not because I'm obsessed with telling the world all my ego-ridden deep and meaningful thoughts every 10 minutes (tweeting), but because I like seeing all the tweet roll of all the people I'm following throughout the day. All my favourite sports teams' notifications, the 2nd love-of-my-life Jeffery Donovan (aka Michael Westen from Burn Notice), and of course my mates. It makes me feel like I'm in a society of friends again. Ahhhhh human contact - and I don't have to scroll down 20 pages of FB news feed to see what my few twitter friends are doing, nor surf the web to find out if the Cardinals actually beat the Cubs...
This weekend we put in some hours manning the Animal Peeps booth at the mall and adopted out a few pups, cooked some nice dinners, went on a big hike up the mountain we live on, and logged some good hours at the gym. It was all rather relaxing and nice to finally have a 2nd weekend at home. Working a lot with the new big pup J., and he's getting to be a really good boy. We nearly have the difference between "sit" and "lay down" nailed. Onward!
First of all the annual Queen's Day party spread put on by the dutchie embassy was last night and it was pretty fun, except for the fact it was a reminder that all our friends have flown the coop. Normally all 3 of our MIA BFFs would've been there - Ubs b/c her FIL is dutch, and P & G because they are the dutch. I'm feeling really annoyed and sad these days about the fact that our social life has basically just about vaporized since the new year, because of this. Like we were thinking, when Soo & Mx had to back out of our Easter trip, we would have probably only had 2 other friends that we actually like well enough to invite them to go instead, here. And of course they couldn't get the time off work, but still it makes me think... why am I spending my young adulthood in a place where I have no buddies?!?!? G-city is really like a small country town when it comes right down to it, and it's hard to think optimistically about finding like-minded people our age to hang with, particularly when it's such a transient society and everyone's coming and going with the wind, on their UNDP contracts or their Peace Corps training sessions or their World Bank grants, etc.
Anyway I was just lecturing Brandon on the importance of being positive the other night, so I'm whipping myself into "chin up, kid" mode and have resolved to just press on with optimism. Taking a page out of my own book, as it were. Replacing the negatives with positives, etc. This coming Saturday I invited Soo & Mx over for dinner, they haven't seen the new place yet and we need to bond because I gotta look after my slowly dwindling peeps. Pro-active, that's me.
Tonight we have the Annual General Meeting of the Animal Peeps Society, which could turn into a kerfuffle with a dash of uproar and a sprinkling of aggro, but I'll be interested to see exactly what happens. Elections will be held, grievances will be aired, disgruntleds will be grunted. Watch this space. All I know for certain is that The Mr. is not going to stand for Treasurer again, but we're probably both going to be on the committee another year. Then THAT'S IT. Fer real. One more year.
I'm enjoying Twitter. I joined up because of Brandon and came on totally green - didn't even know what the hell he was talking about. But it's grown on me. Not because I'm obsessed with telling the world all my ego-ridden deep and meaningful thoughts every 10 minutes (tweeting), but because I like seeing all the tweet roll of all the people I'm following throughout the day. All my favourite sports teams' notifications, the 2nd love-of-my-life Jeffery Donovan (aka Michael Westen from Burn Notice), and of course my mates. It makes me feel like I'm in a society of friends again. Ahhhhh human contact - and I don't have to scroll down 20 pages of FB news feed to see what my few twitter friends are doing, nor surf the web to find out if the Cardinals actually beat the Cubs...
This weekend we put in some hours manning the Animal Peeps booth at the mall and adopted out a few pups, cooked some nice dinners, went on a big hike up the mountain we live on, and logged some good hours at the gym. It was all rather relaxing and nice to finally have a 2nd weekend at home. Working a lot with the new big pup J., and he's getting to be a really good boy. We nearly have the difference between "sit" and "lay down" nailed. Onward!
Labels: animal peeps, mis amigos
0 Responses to “Today will be a good day.”
Post a Comment