Bodily bodily bodily!
2 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 19 June 2009 at 6/19/2009 09:29:00 am.
It is friday and by gid it feels like friday.
My gym burned down so I won't be going to gym after work, which means I can get home super-early and finish my preparations for the dinner party with the Cs tonight. I am going with a WHEAT FREE GREEK/MEDITERRANEAN menu (crikey!), as follows:
A trio of appetizers including:
- Baba ghanouj, Tzaziki, and a variety of olives (with pita bread for dipping for those of us wheat-eaters, and gluten-free crackers + wheat-free rye bread for Ms. Celiac, for dipping)
Main course of:
Kleftiko (aka "stolen lamb") slow cooked with potatoes and carrots in individual foil parcels - heavy on garlic, heavy on rosemary, heavy on HELL YEAH
Supported by a greek salad.
And for dessert:
- Flourless cheesecake on a wheat-free crunchy cookie base, drizzled with a very greeky lemon/honey sauce.
I put the kleftiko together over the course of last night and this morning, which means all I have to do when I get home tonight is whip up the Baba ghanouj and Tzaziki, and get some help from my very beautiful sous chef (the Mr., obviously) on the cheesecake. I'm thinking of cutting it into little squares to serve on the wheat-free crunchie cookie squares (which have already been purchased) because my cake mold is round, but the cookie squares are (obviously) not-round.
Last night was Wally's (fellow Animal Peeps committee member) birthday party which was pretty cool - a very weird mixture of Germans and Batswana. The most bizarre combination ever. But fun. I got to know the city's No. 1 local crazy-cat-lady picture framer very well. She's a trip. We may be on the verge of starting a book club. Wally had some caterer who specializes in only bruchetta, make the finger food trays. Who knew you could do so much with slices of french bread? There was a curry chicken one, some with blue cheese, some with brie, even a prosciutto & melon bruchetta. Great idea. I'm going to remember that one... seriously, you can make an entire 4-course meal out of just bruchettas, with all the food groups and everything. The caterer even had wheat-free ones (because the Cs were there too) all prepped as well!
Then saturday Soo & Mx are having us over for dinner at their place, so it will be a weekend of good eatins. Soo is like what, 7 months preggo now? So who knows how much longer she's going to be on the social radar, hopefully we can pull these things off at least a few more times before she drops a baldy on our lovely blossoming friendship!!
Sunday is the "neighbourhood bbq"... I put that in "quotes" due to the fact I am fairly certain that this thing will start at 1pm and end promptly at 2. If I were a gambling woman I would also probably head down to my local bookie and ask him to lay a few Pula on Me & the Mr. being the youngest couple at this shindig, but no bother. I'm extremely interested in sticking my nose into this business of "who lives in what house" because as yet we only know like 3 of our neighbours. There could very possibly be a cool cat lady or burned out hippie vegan or other such eccentric person of interest hiding out in any number of these funky little cottages in the trees on the mountain. We'll see. The fact that our landlords (the hosts) don't drink should also prove to make for an interesting spread and effect on the level of social-lubrication that gets reached.
In other news I realize I really need to get out of the EIA business. I think everything happens for a reason and the fact that I'm more than 1/2 way through this new Masters' degree now is probably just right on time for allowing me my way out. If I can start now just turning down the spigot on the EIA work, it should give me just enough time to gently transition me into the EHS side of things by the time I graduate at the end of next year. I have just SO HAD IT with the government crap and the idiot ass-hats in unwarranted positions of power who are just eternally out to get my goat and kill my buzz... these 23 year old kids who feel like they need to flex their muscles and have NO idea what they're talking about, but yet have the power to screw up every single project we work on and (more than anything) PISS ME OFF. I just need out. I can't deal with this aggro. The worst part is, it isn't just a BW problem - I hear from my old pops that he has to endure the exact same BS back in the states too. I guess assholes are just the same all over the globe.
So anyway, I'm going to miss the Hash this sunday b/c of the neighbourhood bbq, which sucks - 2 wks in a row now. And there's no gym to go to! So today at lunch we shall climb K-hill, and then I don't know but we'll have to be creative over the weekend, concerning the road to fitness. The Hashers are having our "Christmas in June" next weekend, and they asked none other than yours truly to be a slutty Mrs. Claus. This could truly be interesting. Long Tall Swedish Boy is going to be Santa. I think they probably thought the photos would make nice on a scale of irony (honestly, that guy is like 6'10"). I need to check into securing some fishnets, I reckon.
Ah weekend. I feel like celebrating. What, I don't know, but I may have to do something drastic like make some long distance phone calls or something - which reminds me - fathers day. agh! I best get on that too.
My gym burned down so I won't be going to gym after work, which means I can get home super-early and finish my preparations for the dinner party with the Cs tonight. I am going with a WHEAT FREE GREEK/MEDITERRANEAN menu (crikey!), as follows:
A trio of appetizers including:
- Baba ghanouj, Tzaziki, and a variety of olives (with pita bread for dipping for those of us wheat-eaters, and gluten-free crackers + wheat-free rye bread for Ms. Celiac, for dipping)
Main course of:
Kleftiko (aka "stolen lamb") slow cooked with potatoes and carrots in individual foil parcels - heavy on garlic, heavy on rosemary, heavy on HELL YEAH
Supported by a greek salad.
And for dessert:
- Flourless cheesecake on a wheat-free crunchy cookie base, drizzled with a very greeky lemon/honey sauce.
I put the kleftiko together over the course of last night and this morning, which means all I have to do when I get home tonight is whip up the Baba ghanouj and Tzaziki, and get some help from my very beautiful sous chef (the Mr., obviously) on the cheesecake. I'm thinking of cutting it into little squares to serve on the wheat-free crunchie cookie squares (which have already been purchased) because my cake mold is round, but the cookie squares are (obviously) not-round.
Last night was Wally's (fellow Animal Peeps committee member) birthday party which was pretty cool - a very weird mixture of Germans and Batswana. The most bizarre combination ever. But fun. I got to know the city's No. 1 local crazy-cat-lady picture framer very well. She's a trip. We may be on the verge of starting a book club. Wally had some caterer who specializes in only bruchetta, make the finger food trays. Who knew you could do so much with slices of french bread? There was a curry chicken one, some with blue cheese, some with brie, even a prosciutto & melon bruchetta. Great idea. I'm going to remember that one... seriously, you can make an entire 4-course meal out of just bruchettas, with all the food groups and everything. The caterer even had wheat-free ones (because the Cs were there too) all prepped as well!
Then saturday Soo & Mx are having us over for dinner at their place, so it will be a weekend of good eatins. Soo is like what, 7 months preggo now? So who knows how much longer she's going to be on the social radar, hopefully we can pull these things off at least a few more times before she drops a baldy on our lovely blossoming friendship!!
Sunday is the "neighbourhood bbq"... I put that in "quotes" due to the fact I am fairly certain that this thing will start at 1pm and end promptly at 2. If I were a gambling woman I would also probably head down to my local bookie and ask him to lay a few Pula on Me & the Mr. being the youngest couple at this shindig, but no bother. I'm extremely interested in sticking my nose into this business of "who lives in what house" because as yet we only know like 3 of our neighbours. There could very possibly be a cool cat lady or burned out hippie vegan or other such eccentric person of interest hiding out in any number of these funky little cottages in the trees on the mountain. We'll see. The fact that our landlords (the hosts) don't drink should also prove to make for an interesting spread and effect on the level of social-lubrication that gets reached.
In other news I realize I really need to get out of the EIA business. I think everything happens for a reason and the fact that I'm more than 1/2 way through this new Masters' degree now is probably just right on time for allowing me my way out. If I can start now just turning down the spigot on the EIA work, it should give me just enough time to gently transition me into the EHS side of things by the time I graduate at the end of next year. I have just SO HAD IT with the government crap and the idiot ass-hats in unwarranted positions of power who are just eternally out to get my goat and kill my buzz... these 23 year old kids who feel like they need to flex their muscles and have NO idea what they're talking about, but yet have the power to screw up every single project we work on and (more than anything) PISS ME OFF. I just need out. I can't deal with this aggro. The worst part is, it isn't just a BW problem - I hear from my old pops that he has to endure the exact same BS back in the states too. I guess assholes are just the same all over the globe.
So anyway, I'm going to miss the Hash this sunday b/c of the neighbourhood bbq, which sucks - 2 wks in a row now. And there's no gym to go to! So today at lunch we shall climb K-hill, and then I don't know but we'll have to be creative over the weekend, concerning the road to fitness. The Hashers are having our "Christmas in June" next weekend, and they asked none other than yours truly to be a slutty Mrs. Claus. This could truly be interesting. Long Tall Swedish Boy is going to be Santa. I think they probably thought the photos would make nice on a scale of irony (honestly, that guy is like 6'10"). I need to check into securing some fishnets, I reckon.
Ah weekend. I feel like celebrating. What, I don't know, but I may have to do something drastic like make some long distance phone calls or something - which reminds me - fathers day. agh! I best get on that too.
Labels: food, HHH, mis amigos, work
Bodily Bodily Bodily on a Greek salad! Beagley Begaley Bassity!
Ass-hats. Classic.