User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


The 3-day week

This week we have Wednesday and Thursday off (what kind of jacked-up combination of holiday days is that?  Why bother?  Why not Thurs/Fri, DUH) so really it's not like a real week at all.  And of course this whole town will be worthless on Friday due to everyone and their brother's dog taking it off in order to have a 5-day vacation.  But not us!  No siree!  No 5-day holiday for us illegal alien harbourers!

HOWEVER before I get all poopy about not going anywhere, I will say there is the potential for great relaxation and restoration to be done at home (and I aint talking about sanding and varnishing any furniture!) during a quiet week such as this.  I only resent the fact that there is nothing cool to do in this town over those couple of days.  CERTAIN PEOPLE in my life, who live in other more happnin' cities in other countries, have been laying it on thick lately with all their fancy-pants outings to live music and tasty BBQ festivals and trips to the beach, etc etc etc....   well hey meanwhile we went out for Chinese on Saturday night and gave a good home to a nice bottle of Red.... that's about the extent of it in these parts, anymore.  Trouble is, I can't even blame it on the JooJoo Lady, because I'll be derned if she doesn't love going out too!  Her favourite thing in the world these days is going to the Hash every sunday and making the round of laps and cuddles from all the hashers.  She especially likes it when there's a braai after the run.  This weekend she tried out her new pair of cool-ass shades that auntie Petra sent from NL.  She got lots of attention in those babies, all of which she ate up like the Aries that she is. 

I guess it has come to the point where I will use these days off to sleep and exercise and pick the banjo. I don't even really want to study because then it won't even be any different at all to simply working from home 2 days in a row.  Lame.  I really wonder how many years of cow-town BW that I have left in me.  We were talking about the Memphis in May festival on saturday night, and even the Mr. thinks it is a sin that we can't be soaking that live music sh!t up in our prime years (the 30s are prime, right?) when it's out there on offer. I nearly had him committing to flying back for it in May, believe it or not.  I just put on some Taj Mahal and said "picture yourself listening to this with the Mississippi River flowing beside you and a giant pulled pork sandwich in your left hand and a Sam Adams in your right..."  and I almost had plane tickets.  Then a goat or a donkey probably ran out in front of us and ejected the dream.  I dont remember.  DOH!

I gave the Mr. the Tom Petty documentary by Peter Bogdanovich (4 hours long!) for his bday.  I'm certain he suspected it was one of those "gift for you/gift for me" fine lines, but I literally selected that because he has shown so much interest in "The Last Waltz" and in TP recently, so why the hell not?  It is a Grammy award winner fer petes sake.  So anyway, I hope he decides to watch it this week because I am excited about it even if he is acting luke-warm about it.

0 Responses to “The 3-day week”

Post a Comment



© 2006