User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Too Much Damn Cake!!

Cake, cake, cake.  That's all there is out there... nothin' but a big bunch of cake!

This weekend was great but i think i gained 2kg.  And didn't exercise at all.  Well except for gym on friday. But anyway...

Greek night on saturday night was fantastic - we sat with some other couples from the Hash, saw a bunch of people there we know, and ate a bunch of delicious food, cut a rug on the dance floor, broke some plates, and listened to Mr. Bouzouki play his li'l heart out.  Oh and the belly dancing girls (to which there is no Greek relevance whatsoever, but they were there) were quite entertaining.  The best bit was that there was free babysitting on the premises and the JooJoo Lady had the time of her life getting pawed by a bunch of clucky 5-year old "big girls" and 2 babysitter ladies who she charmed the pants off of and got held all night long.  I saw a bunch of my clients there and that was weird because obviously they were getting loaded and that was just awkward but hey, now I have the mental image of them shaking their booties on the dance floor to take to all those meetings with me from now on.  There was baklava.  mmmmm....

Sunday we had to be up at 6 (BALLS!) to get to the Animal Peeps walk-a-thon and work there til 11 or so, which was fine, because given our disability (the Joo) we got the prized station that is the registration table, along with Soo who's 9 months preggers, so that was less work and more fun than flipping sausages or corralling kindergartners or project managing a bunch of bouncing dogs.  And of course as is with all of our Animal Peeps events, there was coffee and cake.  lotttts of cake.

Then it was straight over to our swedish friends' daughter's 1-year-old birthday party.... now that was bizarre.  A bunch of adults our age who have kids older than the Joo, having brunch and cake and champagne in the back yard while the bunch of kids run around.  It wasn't bad, it was nice, but damn, I found myself sitting there thinking:  "holy shit.  This is it.  This is what *parents* do now.  This is what *I* do now..."    WOW.  Talk about a freak out.  Up until now we would've skipped these kind of things whenever we're invited.  But now this it.  This is the thing you do.  Kiddie parties.   Luckily all the adults were scandinavian types who were very cool, friendly, and very funny and totally sociable and had somehow managed amongst the lot of them, to raise extremely well-behaved kids.  The whole time that we were there, none of the younglings pissed me off or spilled anything on me and to be honest even in the small space that was the townhouse, I didnt even really notice them at all - they were all out in the communal playground area doing their kiddie thing & not bothering me at all.  The Joo sat nicely in her Bumbo next to the birthday girl (the youngest 2 there) until it was time for her nap, at which time she promptly went to sleep whereever I could find a soft place for her to lay down upstairs, and that was that. After it was time for her to wake up, she sat some more and flirted with everyone there until the cake was eaten and it was time to go. 

Oh yes, there was a treasure hunt.  An adult + kid treasure hunt.  I was skeptical at first, but I put on my game face and we plowed our way through it.  Swedes & Danes are funny that way.  It was all very american in the way that it was a party and there were "organized happenings".  Like there was also a sing-a-long there at one point too.  Very interesting.   I still question the relevance for a 1-year-old though.  I mean H. (the birthday girl) is only 6 months older than the Joo.  I can catagorically state that she didn't have a clue what the hell was going on, so it was obviously a THING for the adults, not her.  Which I am not a fan of.  But on the other hand, I'm remaining positive about this stuff - all in all I really like the crowd that was there, so I just take it for what it is: a party for the parents, celebrating the successful survival of 1 year with a kid.  Hell, what am I talking about.... if they're serving champagne, you could invite me to a 3-hour college calculus exam and I'll be happy as Larry!

But dang, I think 4 different cakes is a little excessive for a birthday party.

We got home yesterday at like 4pm and were just so flat out wrecked from the weekend (and of course I didnt get any work or studying done) that we took a nap, and then it was like - bang - dinner, shower, read a little, bed.  The end.  Where the hell did the weekend go??

Tomorrow the Mr. is leaving me for Zambia for 3 days & 2 nights, for this next big project we stumbled into.  Again I curse!  what is it with this year?! We go years without having to be apart overnight, and then all of a sudden in one swift 3-month period, it happens twice.   I curse my job!  And I have to be in Maun for work all day Wednesday, so the Joo is going to have to stay with the maid, and then Thursday I have my new mindfulness course, and he doesn't get back til late at night, so she'll go to uncle Leto's house for a few hours.  Luckily tomorrow night Soo has invited me over for dinner (sympathy work-widow dinner.... she has to go through it all the time) so me & the kid will go over after work and play & eat over there.  That will be nice.  The Joo loves going over to Soo & Mx's place because they've got the whole joint kitted out for this kid that they're about to drop.... TO THE NINES, MAN.... it's like a bleedin' FAO Schwartz over there... and has been for oh 7 months now or thereabouts.... makes our place look like a corporate waiting room.  But that's good.  I want The Joo to believe that she grew up in the ghetto so that she can appreciate the finer things in life as she grows to accummulate them on her own nickel.  HA!

Labels: , , ,

0 Responses to “Too Much Damn Cake!!”

Post a Comment



© 2006