Delayed weekend + inlaw invasion report
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 26 January 2010 at 1/26/2010 04:30:00 pm.
So basically last week was filled with a lot of card games (it's what we do to maximize the old "inlaw-outlaw relationship management plan"), a lot of me speaking my bad Dutch, and a lot of grandparents lovin' on their chocolate grandkid.
Really, I have to say, even without the Spirit of 2010 factor in place, it was all quite survivable.
Thursday we came home late after Ye Olde Animal Peeps mtg, and MIL had dinner made which was nice because there is NO WAY I could've mustered it. I was sick.as.a.dog for nearly the whole duration of the week, but couldn't possibly stop to recover because there was too much work to do!! I didn't even work from home once last week because my presence was required inside the office - - not to mention those inlaws would've surely distracted me (and frustrated me?) too much if I had been at home.
Anyway, Friday came around and we braaied here at the house and chilled out and probably played cards. I don't even remember anymore. Saturday we spent the day in town and did some shopping and sightseeing and ate lunch at the tea garden and stuff and stuff and stuff. Saturday night we were all too full to do the original plan which was to go out and eat, plus had been back and forth out of town already, so we stayed home and again ate and played cards and stuff. I made Adelly's recipe for sausage balls, we drank some beers (even though I'm on antibiotics) and it was pretty low key.
Sunday we went out for lunch with the Swedes and again as always the inlaws refuse to be social with anyone who can't speak their language so that was a wee bit embarassing but on the other hand, the Swedes are so laid back they couldn't give a rats. It just really irks me, that's all. Especially knowing that my own parents would've eaten these friends of ours up, and gotten on like a house on fire. But therein lies the difference between the kiddo's sets of grandparents.
Sunday I was finally feeling healthy enough to do some exercise, so The Mr. and I went for a nice run (gotta love babysitters-on-tap when the grandparents are here!) and then we all went out for dinner at BWs finest chain of family friendly steakhouses (the only type of restaurant my FIL would possibly consider being suitable for him and his totally outrageously limited taste), and it all started to get a little sad around that time.
My MIL has fallen so deeply, totally, head-over-heels-edly in love with Lady JooJoo and was already getting like, terminally emotional around Sunday. (They left Monday night) I really do have compassion for her, I know I've mentioned this before, I feel like we have some sort of kindred spirit between us, but there's just this whole cultural boundary and THING called The FIL that prevents.... whatever.... from developing.
But I will say this, she is indeed a great granny. Although she totally broke our "one toy" rule with flying colors (ok maybe we should've made more of an issue about it before hand), but she did mitigate that by bringing a buttload of dutch books, which I did want. One of them is even a personalized book about this Dutch kiddie character who is a bunny called Nijntje, and in this book, Nijntje and The Joo (obviously her real moniker is used) have a sleepover, and the cutest thing is that The Joo is even illustrated as a little chocolate bunny in the book... it's so freakin cute! But basically she's totally respectful of everything we do & how we do it in terms of El Kiddo management & procedures..., followed The Schedule right down the line, didn't dish out any unsolicited "advice".... hell, she even spoke 100% Dutch to her the whole time! And as a fellow pisces, I can completely empathise with her in terms of her emotional roller coaster when it comes to flying in, meeting her new grandkid, falling in love with her, and then having to be whisked away again. I really felt for her and even almost kinda miss having her around and watching her & the wee pooper being so sweet to each other. There was a lot of laughs and love and cuddles between those two. Photos are on the 'bucket.
Now, I didn't catch this but even The Mr. was gob-smacked as we drove away from the Airport yesterday evening en route to the hash, due to some sort of emotional remarks made by The FIL that wound up passing me by because I was busy bidding adieu to the MIL at the time it happened. I can't really remember what it was that The Mr. said that he said, but it was something terribly uncharacteristically sappy and emotional so that was truly bizarre. Apparently the existance of grandchildren will really mess with people!!
So anyway, we went to the hash and I got to run this week (The Mr's turn on walking duty with the kid) and it was a big ass long run which was great because I'm feeling good again and DAMN I needed to blow off some stress. As we were having the routine Social Drinking after the run, Pete and Elaine both pounced on me and The Mr., begging us to throw our hats into the ring to join the Mis-management (the Hash's organisational committee, basically) this year, since so many positions will be opening up due to expats leaving. AGH! Just as we're getting rid of the Animal Peeps!! The good thing is, this is one committee that would actually be fun and low-maintenence. They don't even meet every month, and when they do meet, it's at the lowbrow bar in town, and they do it on rib night. I'm thinking we could do this. They want The Mr. to be the Brewmaster, and me to be the Grand Master (which, since I'm a girl, would actually be "The Grand Mattress"). We'll see. We said we'd consider it. I just want 2010 to be laid back and easy. But they assure me it would be. And I know since Pete is currently Grand Master, from what I've seen him have to do, it is pretty easy, and fun. You get to dish out the Hash Shit and lead the Circle and all sorts of funny stuff, with no homework or report writing involved. And hell, all the Brewmaster has to do is mix up outrageously disgusting punishment drinks during the circle.... how hard is that? Like I said, we'll see.
Really, I have to say, even without the Spirit of 2010 factor in place, it was all quite survivable.
Thursday we came home late after Ye Olde Animal Peeps mtg, and MIL had dinner made which was nice because there is NO WAY I could've mustered it. I was sick.as.a.dog for nearly the whole duration of the week, but couldn't possibly stop to recover because there was too much work to do!! I didn't even work from home once last week because my presence was required inside the office - - not to mention those inlaws would've surely distracted me (and frustrated me?) too much if I had been at home.
Anyway, Friday came around and we braaied here at the house and chilled out and probably played cards. I don't even remember anymore. Saturday we spent the day in town and did some shopping and sightseeing and ate lunch at the tea garden and stuff and stuff and stuff. Saturday night we were all too full to do the original plan which was to go out and eat, plus had been back and forth out of town already, so we stayed home and again ate and played cards and stuff. I made Adelly's recipe for sausage balls, we drank some beers (even though I'm on antibiotics) and it was pretty low key.
Sunday we went out for lunch with the Swedes and again as always the inlaws refuse to be social with anyone who can't speak their language so that was a wee bit embarassing but on the other hand, the Swedes are so laid back they couldn't give a rats. It just really irks me, that's all. Especially knowing that my own parents would've eaten these friends of ours up, and gotten on like a house on fire. But therein lies the difference between the kiddo's sets of grandparents.
Sunday I was finally feeling healthy enough to do some exercise, so The Mr. and I went for a nice run (gotta love babysitters-on-tap when the grandparents are here!) and then we all went out for dinner at BWs finest chain of family friendly steakhouses (the only type of restaurant my FIL would possibly consider being suitable for him and his totally outrageously limited taste), and it all started to get a little sad around that time.
My MIL has fallen so deeply, totally, head-over-heels-edly in love with Lady JooJoo and was already getting like, terminally emotional around Sunday. (They left Monday night) I really do have compassion for her, I know I've mentioned this before, I feel like we have some sort of kindred spirit between us, but there's just this whole cultural boundary and THING called The FIL that prevents.... whatever.... from developing.
But I will say this, she is indeed a great granny. Although she totally broke our "one toy" rule with flying colors (ok maybe we should've made more of an issue about it before hand), but she did mitigate that by bringing a buttload of dutch books, which I did want. One of them is even a personalized book about this Dutch kiddie character who is a bunny called Nijntje, and in this book, Nijntje and The Joo (obviously her real moniker is used) have a sleepover, and the cutest thing is that The Joo is even illustrated as a little chocolate bunny in the book... it's so freakin cute! But basically she's totally respectful of everything we do & how we do it in terms of El Kiddo management & procedures..., followed The Schedule right down the line, didn't dish out any unsolicited "advice".... hell, she even spoke 100% Dutch to her the whole time! And as a fellow pisces, I can completely empathise with her in terms of her emotional roller coaster when it comes to flying in, meeting her new grandkid, falling in love with her, and then having to be whisked away again. I really felt for her and even almost kinda miss having her around and watching her & the wee pooper being so sweet to each other. There was a lot of laughs and love and cuddles between those two. Photos are on the 'bucket.
Now, I didn't catch this but even The Mr. was gob-smacked as we drove away from the Airport yesterday evening en route to the hash, due to some sort of emotional remarks made by The FIL that wound up passing me by because I was busy bidding adieu to the MIL at the time it happened. I can't really remember what it was that The Mr. said that he said, but it was something terribly uncharacteristically sappy and emotional so that was truly bizarre. Apparently the existance of grandchildren will really mess with people!!
So anyway, we went to the hash and I got to run this week (The Mr's turn on walking duty with the kid) and it was a big ass long run which was great because I'm feeling good again and DAMN I needed to blow off some stress. As we were having the routine Social Drinking after the run, Pete and Elaine both pounced on me and The Mr., begging us to throw our hats into the ring to join the Mis-management (the Hash's organisational committee, basically) this year, since so many positions will be opening up due to expats leaving. AGH! Just as we're getting rid of the Animal Peeps!! The good thing is, this is one committee that would actually be fun and low-maintenence. They don't even meet every month, and when they do meet, it's at the lowbrow bar in town, and they do it on rib night. I'm thinking we could do this. They want The Mr. to be the Brewmaster, and me to be the Grand Master (which, since I'm a girl, would actually be "The Grand Mattress"). We'll see. We said we'd consider it. I just want 2010 to be laid back and easy. But they assure me it would be. And I know since Pete is currently Grand Master, from what I've seen him have to do, it is pretty easy, and fun. You get to dish out the Hash Shit and lead the Circle and all sorts of funny stuff, with no homework or report writing involved. And hell, all the Brewmaster has to do is mix up outrageously disgusting punishment drinks during the circle.... how hard is that? Like I said, we'll see.
Labels: HHH, mi familia
0 Responses to “Delayed weekend + inlaw invasion report”
Post a Comment