Who's that comin'???
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 18 January 2010 at 1/18/2010 10:15:00 am.
Must be the in-laws!!! It's time once again to revisit the exciting life & times of the outlaws in-laws that we all know and love.... ahhhhh.... here they come. Tomorrow. 6 days of fun & games.
The New-leaf-positive-outlooker in me is saying "hey isn't it great that The Joo gets to meet her grandparentals!" and in the spirit of 2010, we'll leave it at that, this year!
I do wonder how they're going to cope with the heat. Seriously it is outrageous at the moment around here. 40 degrees C every day, and the odd power cuts which mean the fans don't work and you gotta keep the fridge & freezer doors shut. Eish. I mean I know what it means for me & The Mr.... it means spending a lot of time sitting butt ass nekkit in the pool drinking white wine with ice cubes in it. But for them??? Let's just hope it doesn't mean a bunch of complaining and moaning. I know my FIL will probably drink about 300 beers every day (he doesn't know that when you're hot you can drink other beverages, like this stuff called "water" or "juice" or even "passionfruit and lemonade"... we learned this about him last year when they were here in March and it was only about 1/2 as hot as it is now & he was already dying).
Anyhoo, this was a nice weekend, except for The Mr. STILL being sick. Friday was relaxing and I made burritos (splurge!) and talked to Adelly & Brandone & Podgey til the wee hours online, which was great fun. Then Saturday, we had a nice and leisurely slow start to the morning, including me introducing The Mr. to NPR's legendary "Car Talk" programme (which he loved, and which now thanks to my cool NPR iPhone app, I can listen to any previous episode of all NPR shows, whenever I want), while we enjoyed poached eggs on english muffins... yum. Then, aside from going to the Kennels to check up on stuff there and some new developments and checking out the new arrivals, etc., we did some shopping and returning (of the fashion nightmare that was one of my xmas presents) & bought some amazing fish & other international goodies at our International Foods warehouse which I just adore but because of it's bizarre opening hours I never get to go to. The fish that we bought was Dorado (aka Mahi Mahi) and some Butterfish. I made the Dorado for dinner that night with a delightful sweet pepper and onion sauce accompanied by The Mr.'s roasted potatoes and a deeelish Italian Chardonnay that we splurged on & picked up there at the warehouse as well. I REALLY need to catch up on all my 2009 movies that I managed to miss last year, so in order to further that objective we went to our normal video rental place with the aim to confiscate half the titles from their shelves. Except they were gone. Not the titles, the store! WTF!? Luckily The Mr. had the Capital Idea of going to another place to take out a new membership & see if we could rectify this little problem that way. Which we did. Except for somebody else OBVIOUSLY stole my idea because half the titles were already gone from THEIR shelves!
So we ended up with the Will Smith drama "Seven Pounds"... which despite being quite macabre, I can actually highly recommend. Except don't ask The Mr. what he thought of it, because he fell asleep, which REALLY annoys me, but I can't do anything about. I just realize that whenever we watch a movie at home, I will be watching it alone, 9 times out of 10. SOMEONE has a problem keeping eyes open if the couch is involved.
Then yesterday, there was a huge decision to make: Hash, or Braai with the Swedes & co. Instead of a Monday hash this week, it was moved to Sunday evening + follow on dinner at an Indian restaurant. Alternatively our Swedish friends (one couple of the many) were hosting a braai to welcome this other Swedish couple to town (he's a Dr. due to start working at our new hospital) which also sounded fun and another good way to meet more new fun people. After waffling back and forth back and forth (because hashing IS my very favorite thing in the whole world these days) we decided to go braaiing so that's what we did. And there were about 30 people there, many of which we knew from our friends already, and met some new ones who WERE really nice. But the main highlight was that A) I had neglected to eat anything all day because it was SO FRIGGIN HOT I didn't even know what time it was by the time we got to the party around 4pm and B) I seasoned these lamb chops that we brought SO FRIGGIN WELL that it was probably the most incredible eating experience I can remember in recent history. We also brought these sweet chilli sausages that were delectible and so I stuffed myself outrageously and it was glorious.
The Kid got to see her Swedish Granny Finnstrom (of the Swedish Xmas Eve fame) there, as well as hang out with her BFF, Hilma (our friends' 1yr old). Although H. cries & whines so much I hope she doesn't teach The Joo Joo Lady any of that nonsense. We've already got teeth issues and I don't want to compound that with further pouting issues. However, H. is really good for teaching her how to dip corn cobs into the drinks ice bath after every bite, to make delicious icy corn. Mmmm. Crazy babies.
This week is going to be a little bit nutty, what with the inlaws being here (time to turn on my 2nd language) and me having to go to Maun for work Wednesday, followed by having our "belated xmas" office dinner on Wednesday night when I get back, followed by Thursday having our 4th-to-last-EVER Animal Peeps committee meeting, and what is sure to be many hours of in-law related fun & games (including much Rummikub and card games, I'm sure). But they leave again on Monday, so it won't be too long out of our normalcy. That, and I'm facing it all with a positive attitude. I'll be interested to see how they get on with the grandkid - particularly how diciplined they are at speaking one language (NL) to her and not the other (Fr.).
The New-leaf-positive-outlooker in me is saying "hey isn't it great that The Joo gets to meet her grandparentals!" and in the spirit of 2010, we'll leave it at that, this year!
I do wonder how they're going to cope with the heat. Seriously it is outrageous at the moment around here. 40 degrees C every day, and the odd power cuts which mean the fans don't work and you gotta keep the fridge & freezer doors shut. Eish. I mean I know what it means for me & The Mr.... it means spending a lot of time sitting butt ass nekkit in the pool drinking white wine with ice cubes in it. But for them??? Let's just hope it doesn't mean a bunch of complaining and moaning. I know my FIL will probably drink about 300 beers every day (he doesn't know that when you're hot you can drink other beverages, like this stuff called "water" or "juice" or even "passionfruit and lemonade"... we learned this about him last year when they were here in March and it was only about 1/2 as hot as it is now & he was already dying).
Anyhoo, this was a nice weekend, except for The Mr. STILL being sick. Friday was relaxing and I made burritos (splurge!) and talked to Adelly & Brandone & Podgey til the wee hours online, which was great fun. Then Saturday, we had a nice and leisurely slow start to the morning, including me introducing The Mr. to NPR's legendary "Car Talk" programme (which he loved, and which now thanks to my cool NPR iPhone app, I can listen to any previous episode of all NPR shows, whenever I want), while we enjoyed poached eggs on english muffins... yum. Then, aside from going to the Kennels to check up on stuff there and some new developments and checking out the new arrivals, etc., we did some shopping and returning (of the fashion nightmare that was one of my xmas presents) & bought some amazing fish & other international goodies at our International Foods warehouse which I just adore but because of it's bizarre opening hours I never get to go to. The fish that we bought was Dorado (aka Mahi Mahi) and some Butterfish. I made the Dorado for dinner that night with a delightful sweet pepper and onion sauce accompanied by The Mr.'s roasted potatoes and a deeelish Italian Chardonnay that we splurged on & picked up there at the warehouse as well. I REALLY need to catch up on all my 2009 movies that I managed to miss last year, so in order to further that objective we went to our normal video rental place with the aim to confiscate half the titles from their shelves. Except they were gone. Not the titles, the store! WTF!? Luckily The Mr. had the Capital Idea of going to another place to take out a new membership & see if we could rectify this little problem that way. Which we did. Except for somebody else OBVIOUSLY stole my idea because half the titles were already gone from THEIR shelves!
So we ended up with the Will Smith drama "Seven Pounds"... which despite being quite macabre, I can actually highly recommend. Except don't ask The Mr. what he thought of it, because he fell asleep, which REALLY annoys me, but I can't do anything about. I just realize that whenever we watch a movie at home, I will be watching it alone, 9 times out of 10. SOMEONE has a problem keeping eyes open if the couch is involved.
Then yesterday, there was a huge decision to make: Hash, or Braai with the Swedes & co. Instead of a Monday hash this week, it was moved to Sunday evening + follow on dinner at an Indian restaurant. Alternatively our Swedish friends (one couple of the many) were hosting a braai to welcome this other Swedish couple to town (he's a Dr. due to start working at our new hospital) which also sounded fun and another good way to meet more new fun people. After waffling back and forth back and forth (because hashing IS my very favorite thing in the whole world these days) we decided to go braaiing so that's what we did. And there were about 30 people there, many of which we knew from our friends already, and met some new ones who WERE really nice. But the main highlight was that A) I had neglected to eat anything all day because it was SO FRIGGIN HOT I didn't even know what time it was by the time we got to the party around 4pm and B) I seasoned these lamb chops that we brought SO FRIGGIN WELL that it was probably the most incredible eating experience I can remember in recent history. We also brought these sweet chilli sausages that were delectible and so I stuffed myself outrageously and it was glorious.
The Kid got to see her Swedish Granny Finnstrom (of the Swedish Xmas Eve fame) there, as well as hang out with her BFF, Hilma (our friends' 1yr old). Although H. cries & whines so much I hope she doesn't teach The Joo Joo Lady any of that nonsense. We've already got teeth issues and I don't want to compound that with further pouting issues. However, H. is really good for teaching her how to dip corn cobs into the drinks ice bath after every bite, to make delicious icy corn. Mmmm. Crazy babies.
This week is going to be a little bit nutty, what with the inlaws being here (time to turn on my 2nd language) and me having to go to Maun for work Wednesday, followed by having our "belated xmas" office dinner on Wednesday night when I get back, followed by Thursday having our 4th-to-last-EVER Animal Peeps committee meeting, and what is sure to be many hours of in-law related fun & games (including much Rummikub and card games, I'm sure). But they leave again on Monday, so it won't be too long out of our normalcy. That, and I'm facing it all with a positive attitude. I'll be interested to see how they get on with the grandkid - particularly how diciplined they are at speaking one language (NL) to her and not the other (Fr.).
0 Responses to “Who's that comin'???”
Post a Comment