User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


It's the Little Things....

Robert Earl Keen has a song about "It's the Little Things"... where he basically lists all these little things that really piss him off (and then the song cumulates with him singing ".... that piss me off!") and it has been in my head all weekend but not because I'm pissed off (thankfully) but more because I'm just paying more attention to the good little things now. And as I am learning, lots of little good things = 1 big good thing, namely, being in a good mood and happy with the way the stream is flowing in general.

Friday started out with a pleasant surprise whereby it was my day to work from home and lo and behold my internet connection was actually working (!!!) enough for me to have a nice catchup chat with El Steve-o in Aus for a wee bit. As if that wasn't fantastic enough, Brandon called me in the evening so I got to virtually finish off my day with the same surprise it started with! I really dig friday chit chat, I think. Especially that of the long-distance variety. It just lifts the spirits after a whole week of work and pressure and all that crap. And starts the weekend off great, especially if there's mucho humor therapy fodder involved. Which, whenever I talk to Brandon I can be assured of. Unless, of course, I have to give him a Spirit of 2010 tounge-lashing... but he's been fairly good at behaving himself lately so that's good (for him!) HA!

I made a pretty good effort at Dorado with sherry sauce and a couscous salad which was delightful, as was the Sauvignon Blanc that I selected to accompany it. Then I did something which pretty much sums up what kind of happy "little thing" I'm talking about that can really add up to a hoot of a good time.... I spent the entirity of Friday night playing the iPhone version of Pictionary against Jéan (in Scotland) and pissing myself in hysterics because not only does Pictionary crack me up in general, try playing it in real time on your smartphone against your friend half a world away and that combined with the game-screen banter is enough to send the dudes with the white coats after you. Totally lame and geek-worthy but OMG side-splitting fun!

Anyhoo, then on Saturday I helped The Mr. do his first installment of Hash Brew Shopping (now as the Braumeister he is responsible for buying all the drinks for the hash) and that was quite hecktic considering we're down about 2,000 bucks worth of booze and non-booze after having our stash confiscated by the fuzz last week. You know that when you're trying to save an organization a few bills, you gotta do some comparison-shopping. Our endeavors took us then to at least 3 "headache houses" (as my grandmother would call the bottle shop) before we finally had the shopping list beat. This challenge was not full of little things to make one tickled pink or anything, but the way that the saturday morning started out was: sleeping late and coffee in bed and BINGO that's enough for me these days.

Then sunday again, wee surprises: Phone call from Soo & Mx saying come join us for brunch at the Garden Centre restaurant, which we did, had a great time.... then a pretty relaxing afternoon at home including The Mr. & I tweaking the vegetable garden (since there was no electricity) and a swim with LJJ. Then we went to set out today's hash (it's our week to be hares and given the extreme kerfuffle that last week's incurred, it had to be GOOD) and lo and behold we discovered a fantastic tiny little miniature Indian Restaurant that we never knew existed, and naturally snagged some takeaway from there for dinner. Bonus being that it is pretty close to where we live.... which NOTHING is. And finally finished the weekend off with a 2hr call with my beloved Podgey Pie in Vancouver which was not only long over due but definitely a fine end to a pretty all-round decent weekend. With no major amazements, but lots of little things that added up to . . . . FANTASTICO!!!!

Now if I could just get this *$%#! thesis debacle sorted out - it's the only thing that is really weighing negatively on my mind at the moment. Everything else seems to be pretty smooth sailing. Oh yes, and LJJs Australian visa.... and getting advertisers for my last Animal Peeps magazine... marching on!

0 Responses to “It's the Little Things....”

Post a Comment



© 2006