Everyone I know is sick, and it's winter
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 26 April 2010 at 4/26/2010 01:33:00 pm.
And I still haven't finished Episode 4!!
Well, in a short, brief synopsis (and I realize that this is the reason I've been slack on the blog last week - not that it matters to anyone but myself - but that trip recaps always bring me down a little because it's all about reflecting on all the fantastic fun things that are over now)...
we spent the last few days of Aus with our other besties the Family H., which was sublime and relaxing and just the best way to finish off an already fantastic 2 weeks. We did lots of parent-with-kid stuff like go for a walk in Warrandyte (one of my old favourite outer-city suburbs in the hills.... Bella will remember this from when she came to visit and we went on the Harley ride out to the hills to this quaint old pub with Struts and Glenn); hit the tea houses and cozy pubs of the Dandenong mountains; bounced on the trampoline; caught up; ate a bunch (too much) of delicious food both in and out (Chinese once and Malaysian - finally!); drank champagne, and talked our heads off.
I think LJJ had a great time with the 2 H. kids (they're big kids in her eyes) and I can say she was well and truly exhausted by the time we left because she did nothing but sleep for about, oh the next WEEK! Seriously, nearly the whole way back to Africa on the plane, as well as then the next few days once we arrived. We were waking her up continually for at least 5 days after 13, 14 hours of sleep every morning.... so anyone who wants to know what international travel does to a 1 year old.... it wears them the HELL out! I guess that's what baby jetlag looks like.
OK so now we're back to reality and the post-holiday duldrums kinda hit me big time for the whole first week we were back. I really need an injection of positivity. But I also need to pull my own socks up in that department rather than wait for somebody else to give it to me (although some humour therapy would be nice) because I can see I'm going to have to work overtime for everyone else too. All these happy-go-lucky chaps that were bouncing off the ceiling with good vibes and great intentions in January are nowhere to be found. Who's with me, dammit!?
So to start with, here are some things that are AWESOME, and DONT SUCK. (watch how I switch up this gloomy Ireland-like winter weather into solid gold)
1. My tutor says he can live with my latest version of my thesis proposal.
2. I'm not TOO busy at work
3. Cold weather = wooly sweaters, soup, red wine, and fires.
4. I'm annihilating 40 pushups every morning - SOLID.
5. We are *this close* to getting those bloody USA July tickets sorted out, finally
6. I am sleeping like a champion these days
7. Winter = camping season
8. New, reliable tennants in both houses
9. Levon Helm in KC July 5th
10 Tom Petty in KC July 13th
Some follow-up for a few of those things: Like the pushups - I can't believe I've done it, but with the exception of less than 5 days (due only to either air travel or injury) I have literally followed through on this add-10-per-month pushup regime since January 1. And it's worked, and I'm a machine! I get scared at the beginning of each month because for the first couple weeks it always seems like it's just too much to bear, those extra 10, but then around about the 15th, my arms just adapt and I'm off and running to the point where by the last week I can comfortably add an extra 5, just to get ready for the next month. I see the pattern and I know how it's going to feel and it still doesn't take more than a couple minutes every morning, so I can still keep sustaining. I'll admit the crunches are going to have to take a new form because at present I'm on 50x per day, which is just taking way too long to be reliable every single day - so I'm thinking maybe I have to just do 50 every other day, or maybe 30x per day but just a more difficult variety of crunch?
Cold weather + sleeping = awesome. I have to admit I had a HORRIBLE summer in terms of sleeping. I can't even remember when there was 1 night of straight-through, uninterrupted, hard-as-a-rock SLEEP in my life. Actually it could have been pre-LJJ? And nothing to do with her, just what, me getting old? The heat? I dont know but it was ROTTEN. And I'm usually a semi-professional sleeper. All I know now is that since we got back from Aus, the weather has been cold and autumn-y, and I have been tired at 10pm, fallen asleep at 11, and not woken up for even a SECOND until rattled out of the bed by the Mr. in the morning. Bliss! I am pretty much 99.9% sure it's the weather. Oh, and flannel sheets are to die for. Word.
I have also nailed a couple of really amazing soups since this cold snap has hit us - both vegetable, both fully compliant with the road to fitness (now that's one area that for some reason I still need improvement on.... holiday food addiction still riding my ass & being a royal pain in it). It doesnt help that we've had a bunch of social engagements since we got back - this past weekend there was a braai after the hash, plus a lovely dinner out with The Mr., on friday night at a superfreakindelicious Indian restaurant less than 15minutes drive from our house. The weekend before, our cool Belgian neighbours had a braai that lasted like a whole DAY where we stuffed ourselves silly and drank ourselves even sillier (well I at least kept my head on, unlike the Mr. who got Teee-raaaashhhed).... that's what happens when no one has to drive, I suppose!
I just love the Belgians, they are so much fun. Please, God, don't let them bail on us like everyone else in this town!!
The most bizarre thing about the weather is that it started raining on Friday, and has not stopped since. Literally, not even for a minute. This is very unusual for our climate and especially for this time of year. The dry season was supposed to start about a month ago, and we're not supposed to even see another drip for well over 7 months now. Crazy. All floods and mayhem. I'm not criticizing it though because A) I like the sleeping disease, and B) it's something different.
OK well I guess I'm back on track now. I really need to put some elbow grease into doing my research and making some progress on The Thesis. I have a feeling if I could just get out and do some of the interviews I want to do, then that would help me feel like I'm actually on the right path, moving forward, instead of just treading water. So I'll make that one of my immediate goals and see how I go from there.
Well, in a short, brief synopsis (and I realize that this is the reason I've been slack on the blog last week - not that it matters to anyone but myself - but that trip recaps always bring me down a little because it's all about reflecting on all the fantastic fun things that are over now)...
we spent the last few days of Aus with our other besties the Family H., which was sublime and relaxing and just the best way to finish off an already fantastic 2 weeks. We did lots of parent-with-kid stuff like go for a walk in Warrandyte (one of my old favourite outer-city suburbs in the hills.... Bella will remember this from when she came to visit and we went on the Harley ride out to the hills to this quaint old pub with Struts and Glenn); hit the tea houses and cozy pubs of the Dandenong mountains; bounced on the trampoline; caught up; ate a bunch (too much) of delicious food both in and out (Chinese once and Malaysian - finally!); drank champagne, and talked our heads off.
I think LJJ had a great time with the 2 H. kids (they're big kids in her eyes) and I can say she was well and truly exhausted by the time we left because she did nothing but sleep for about, oh the next WEEK! Seriously, nearly the whole way back to Africa on the plane, as well as then the next few days once we arrived. We were waking her up continually for at least 5 days after 13, 14 hours of sleep every morning.... so anyone who wants to know what international travel does to a 1 year old.... it wears them the HELL out! I guess that's what baby jetlag looks like.
OK so now we're back to reality and the post-holiday duldrums kinda hit me big time for the whole first week we were back. I really need an injection of positivity. But I also need to pull my own socks up in that department rather than wait for somebody else to give it to me (although some humour therapy would be nice) because I can see I'm going to have to work overtime for everyone else too. All these happy-go-lucky chaps that were bouncing off the ceiling with good vibes and great intentions in January are nowhere to be found. Who's with me, dammit!?
So to start with, here are some things that are AWESOME, and DONT SUCK. (watch how I switch up this gloomy Ireland-like winter weather into solid gold)
1. My tutor says he can live with my latest version of my thesis proposal.
2. I'm not TOO busy at work
3. Cold weather = wooly sweaters, soup, red wine, and fires.
4. I'm annihilating 40 pushups every morning - SOLID.
5. We are *this close* to getting those bloody USA July tickets sorted out, finally
6. I am sleeping like a champion these days
7. Winter = camping season
8. New, reliable tennants in both houses
9. Levon Helm in KC July 5th
10 Tom Petty in KC July 13th
Some follow-up for a few of those things: Like the pushups - I can't believe I've done it, but with the exception of less than 5 days (due only to either air travel or injury) I have literally followed through on this add-10-per-month pushup regime since January 1. And it's worked, and I'm a machine! I get scared at the beginning of each month because for the first couple weeks it always seems like it's just too much to bear, those extra 10, but then around about the 15th, my arms just adapt and I'm off and running to the point where by the last week I can comfortably add an extra 5, just to get ready for the next month. I see the pattern and I know how it's going to feel and it still doesn't take more than a couple minutes every morning, so I can still keep sustaining. I'll admit the crunches are going to have to take a new form because at present I'm on 50x per day, which is just taking way too long to be reliable every single day - so I'm thinking maybe I have to just do 50 every other day, or maybe 30x per day but just a more difficult variety of crunch?
Cold weather + sleeping = awesome. I have to admit I had a HORRIBLE summer in terms of sleeping. I can't even remember when there was 1 night of straight-through, uninterrupted, hard-as-a-rock SLEEP in my life. Actually it could have been pre-LJJ? And nothing to do with her, just what, me getting old? The heat? I dont know but it was ROTTEN. And I'm usually a semi-professional sleeper. All I know now is that since we got back from Aus, the weather has been cold and autumn-y, and I have been tired at 10pm, fallen asleep at 11, and not woken up for even a SECOND until rattled out of the bed by the Mr. in the morning. Bliss! I am pretty much 99.9% sure it's the weather. Oh, and flannel sheets are to die for. Word.
I have also nailed a couple of really amazing soups since this cold snap has hit us - both vegetable, both fully compliant with the road to fitness (now that's one area that for some reason I still need improvement on.... holiday food addiction still riding my ass & being a royal pain in it). It doesnt help that we've had a bunch of social engagements since we got back - this past weekend there was a braai after the hash, plus a lovely dinner out with The Mr., on friday night at a superfreakindelicious Indian restaurant less than 15minutes drive from our house. The weekend before, our cool Belgian neighbours had a braai that lasted like a whole DAY where we stuffed ourselves silly and drank ourselves even sillier (well I at least kept my head on, unlike the Mr. who got Teee-raaaashhhed).... that's what happens when no one has to drive, I suppose!
I just love the Belgians, they are so much fun. Please, God, don't let them bail on us like everyone else in this town!!
The most bizarre thing about the weather is that it started raining on Friday, and has not stopped since. Literally, not even for a minute. This is very unusual for our climate and especially for this time of year. The dry season was supposed to start about a month ago, and we're not supposed to even see another drip for well over 7 months now. Crazy. All floods and mayhem. I'm not criticizing it though because A) I like the sleeping disease, and B) it's something different.
OK well I guess I'm back on track now. I really need to put some elbow grease into doing my research and making some progress on The Thesis. I have a feeling if I could just get out and do some of the interviews I want to do, then that would help me feel like I'm actually on the right path, moving forward, instead of just treading water. So I'll make that one of my immediate goals and see how I go from there.
Labels: holiday recap
0 Responses to “Everyone I know is sick, and it's winter”
Post a Comment