Regrouping... re-regrouping
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 26 July 2010 at 7/26/2010 01:13:00 pm.
I really can't believe I'm home now. It seems so weird to be back in the african hood - I keep catching myself wondering where all the white people went! HA!
Anyhoo, for awhile there I was worried that this "First post back" was going to be all full of doom and gloom and homesickness (or would it just be "holidaysickness"?) but the universe keeps pushing me back up on the horse of happiness and I guess thus sending me signs that I need to steer clear of the negativity and keep at it.
Like the part about how somewhere along the trail, my iPod nano (and apparently a power cord of The Mr.'s?) got stolen on the way back. I say "somewhere along the trail" but what I really mean is "somewhere in an airport behind the luggage belts", because I'm 99.9% sure that's where it happened. I am pretty confident that I remember packing it into my (carry-on) suitcase at Podgey's house, and since we personally CARRIED everything ON during the Vancouver - Salt Lake flight and then the Salt Lake - NYC flight, the only time they were actually checked in was on our NYC - Jozi flight and the Jozi - G-city flight. So somewhere in there. Some ass who pokes around in people's luggage for "security" reasons obviously got greedy. What really sucks though is that my iPod chip for my Nike running shoes was in it, meaning I can't sync my iPod with my workouts til I replace it. And what are the odds of replacing that ONE PART of the Nike+iPod set here? Low, I tell you. BUT, notwithstanding this, I just don't feel all that pissed off about it. I know I should, and if I were in worse form I DEFINITELY would, but I just don't! I think that's called rest & rejuvination after a 4-week holiday! I mean sure I was like all "aw, crap!" when I realized, but honestly that's as deep as that sentiment went.
Additionally, as soon as we landed back in G-city yesterday & got fetched at the airport by the housesitters/neighbours even though I was wrecked, sleep-deprived, and no longer on holiday, ALL I could think about/see was this magnificent weather we are having here at the moment! No one ever hears me talk about how awesome the weather is here because we only have 2 seasons and it's pretty standard fare for both... but every once in awhile you'll get a shoulder season (which lasts for a maximum of 2 weeks or so) and it's just freakin amazing. Well now we're having this sort of early spring THING which reminds me of an Ozarks autumn (my favourite kind!) and it's just nothing short of glorious.
Then, after picking up the Big Boy (who is now officially OBESE) at the kennels (yeah, thanks, kennels!!) and saying goodbye to The Mr. around 3pm (who had unjustly been ORDERED by Msrs. Mean & Nasty (aka the gov't) up to the top of the country to attend an 8a.m. meeting today, which necessitated him jumping in the car and driving 7hrs north as soon as we got home - on 2hours' sleep) the tiredness hit me like a ton of bricks and to be honest I can hardly remember the hours between 5pm and 8pm.... except I know I managed to feed the baby (from NOTHING which is what we have in the house since we properly cleaned up all the foodstuffs before we left), bathe her, put her to bed, unpack, and talk to The Mr. on the phone a few times (helping him stay awake on the road). I crashed at 8pm and had a blissful glorious uninterrupted sleep til about 5:30am. It was so great to be back in the Own Bed, and sleep soundly, even though my dearest beloved was not there. Excellent sleep FTW.
So that's probably why I felt so get-up-and get 'em this morning as I decided somewhere around 6am (when I clearly wasnt going to be doing anymore sleeping) "hell why don't i just use this as a good excuse to get up and start the day a little earlier? I mean... stranger things have happened, right?!" So I did. I did my pushups, crunches, got dressed, watched the news headlines, admired the sunrise, ordered a bunch of fruit/veg online (we have an online Mr. Veggie now!!) to restock our bare cupboards, and fed & dressed LJJ before Emelda even got here! And I didn't even feel tired!! So I left LJJ with her and went into work and had a very nice morning with The Guys, who were clearly glad to have me back and we all rendezvoused over coffee and I'll have to say the usual dreaded "first morning back" was actually quite pleasant, even though there were hiccups that would've normally driven me INSANE (Mr. Veggie delivering over an hour late, Ed losing the office camera (left on plane) while we were away, Leto misplacing his office keys, both guys being 30minutes late, etc) just sort of paled in comparison to how rested I felt and how nice the weather was. Crazy!
So I'm taking this as a sign: get up earlier during the week, until my Thesis is finished. Especially since it's this glorious time of year, I should appreciate it and just get off my ass and do shit. I came to the realization while I was away that finishing this damn MSc is going to be the magical component to making myself happier, because at the moment it's one of the biggest thorns in my side. Once removed, it opens the door to not-feeling-so-aggrivated... so I gotta get that thing DONE. And since I'm having this Monday-of-Realization-that-I'm-not-so-depressed-after all, I better use it as a springboard. Kind of a condensed version of what New Years Resolutions pumped into me 7 months ago. Because let's face it, I'm back in the real world and someone stole my iPod and I had to deal with 3 kinds of crap already AND The Mr. is gone and I still feel okay & happy... that is highly unusual and definitely a sign, right?
Anyhoo I still have all kinds of stories to tell from the holiday and bloggage to blog, but in the meantime I got work to do. And while keeping my energy up like this I gotta capitalize on it. So maybe shorter, yet more frequent blogs? I dunno. I'll look into it.
Before I go, though, I will also end with things I look forward to doing (a list originally composed by me & The Mr. on the way back, as an attempt at trying to manage the End of Holiday Blues):
- Design, Purchase & Install new soundsystem for house & veranda
- Spray Harley tank for to mount T's original artwork on
- Go shopping in PTA for a weekend (since I couldn't buy any new clothes when I was back stateside due to hand luggage constraints)
- Get tickets to see Gary the ToothFairy in Jozi & make weekend out of it with The Mr. & Uncle Alan
- Start cooking healthy again (OMG I can't wait to do this... although I will admit that I only put on 0.8kg over this holiday, which I am terribly pleased with since I had convinced myself that all the good eatin' & not-so-much exercisin' done on the Canada leg of our journey had totally nuked my fitness & weight watching).
- Invest more time in friendship maintenace for a couple of old friends who are clearly in need of special attention at the moment
- Organize all family photos
- Go camping before weather gets too hot
- Buy small motorbike so's I can get my motorcycle license before Harley is up and running
So there's some goals & aims that are all positive and non-work-related in nature which should not only help us enjoy the next 6 months before our xmas holiday to the Husband-land, but be fun in the meantime (well, the jury's out on the "funness" of that "organize family photos" one).
It's hard to believe the year is half over...
Anyhoo, for awhile there I was worried that this "First post back" was going to be all full of doom and gloom and homesickness (or would it just be "holidaysickness"?) but the universe keeps pushing me back up on the horse of happiness and I guess thus sending me signs that I need to steer clear of the negativity and keep at it.
Like the part about how somewhere along the trail, my iPod nano (and apparently a power cord of The Mr.'s?) got stolen on the way back. I say "somewhere along the trail" but what I really mean is "somewhere in an airport behind the luggage belts", because I'm 99.9% sure that's where it happened. I am pretty confident that I remember packing it into my (carry-on) suitcase at Podgey's house, and since we personally CARRIED everything ON during the Vancouver - Salt Lake flight and then the Salt Lake - NYC flight, the only time they were actually checked in was on our NYC - Jozi flight and the Jozi - G-city flight. So somewhere in there. Some ass who pokes around in people's luggage for "security" reasons obviously got greedy. What really sucks though is that my iPod chip for my Nike running shoes was in it, meaning I can't sync my iPod with my workouts til I replace it. And what are the odds of replacing that ONE PART of the Nike+iPod set here? Low, I tell you. BUT, notwithstanding this, I just don't feel all that pissed off about it. I know I should, and if I were in worse form I DEFINITELY would, but I just don't! I think that's called rest & rejuvination after a 4-week holiday! I mean sure I was like all "aw, crap!" when I realized, but honestly that's as deep as that sentiment went.
Additionally, as soon as we landed back in G-city yesterday & got fetched at the airport by the housesitters/neighbours even though I was wrecked, sleep-deprived, and no longer on holiday, ALL I could think about/see was this magnificent weather we are having here at the moment! No one ever hears me talk about how awesome the weather is here because we only have 2 seasons and it's pretty standard fare for both... but every once in awhile you'll get a shoulder season (which lasts for a maximum of 2 weeks or so) and it's just freakin amazing. Well now we're having this sort of early spring THING which reminds me of an Ozarks autumn (my favourite kind!) and it's just nothing short of glorious.
Then, after picking up the Big Boy (who is now officially OBESE) at the kennels (yeah, thanks, kennels!!) and saying goodbye to The Mr. around 3pm (who had unjustly been ORDERED by Msrs. Mean & Nasty (aka the gov't) up to the top of the country to attend an 8a.m. meeting today, which necessitated him jumping in the car and driving 7hrs north as soon as we got home - on 2hours' sleep) the tiredness hit me like a ton of bricks and to be honest I can hardly remember the hours between 5pm and 8pm.... except I know I managed to feed the baby (from NOTHING which is what we have in the house since we properly cleaned up all the foodstuffs before we left), bathe her, put her to bed, unpack, and talk to The Mr. on the phone a few times (helping him stay awake on the road). I crashed at 8pm and had a blissful glorious uninterrupted sleep til about 5:30am. It was so great to be back in the Own Bed, and sleep soundly, even though my dearest beloved was not there. Excellent sleep FTW.
So that's probably why I felt so get-up-and get 'em this morning as I decided somewhere around 6am (when I clearly wasnt going to be doing anymore sleeping) "hell why don't i just use this as a good excuse to get up and start the day a little earlier? I mean... stranger things have happened, right?!" So I did. I did my pushups, crunches, got dressed, watched the news headlines, admired the sunrise, ordered a bunch of fruit/veg online (we have an online Mr. Veggie now!!) to restock our bare cupboards, and fed & dressed LJJ before Emelda even got here! And I didn't even feel tired!! So I left LJJ with her and went into work and had a very nice morning with The Guys, who were clearly glad to have me back and we all rendezvoused over coffee and I'll have to say the usual dreaded "first morning back" was actually quite pleasant, even though there were hiccups that would've normally driven me INSANE (Mr. Veggie delivering over an hour late, Ed losing the office camera (left on plane) while we were away, Leto misplacing his office keys, both guys being 30minutes late, etc) just sort of paled in comparison to how rested I felt and how nice the weather was. Crazy!
So I'm taking this as a sign: get up earlier during the week, until my Thesis is finished. Especially since it's this glorious time of year, I should appreciate it and just get off my ass and do shit. I came to the realization while I was away that finishing this damn MSc is going to be the magical component to making myself happier, because at the moment it's one of the biggest thorns in my side. Once removed, it opens the door to not-feeling-so-aggrivated... so I gotta get that thing DONE. And since I'm having this Monday-of-Realization-that-I'm-not-so-depressed-after all, I better use it as a springboard. Kind of a condensed version of what New Years Resolutions pumped into me 7 months ago. Because let's face it, I'm back in the real world and someone stole my iPod and I had to deal with 3 kinds of crap already AND The Mr. is gone and I still feel okay & happy... that is highly unusual and definitely a sign, right?
Anyhoo I still have all kinds of stories to tell from the holiday and bloggage to blog, but in the meantime I got work to do. And while keeping my energy up like this I gotta capitalize on it. So maybe shorter, yet more frequent blogs? I dunno. I'll look into it.
Before I go, though, I will also end with things I look forward to doing (a list originally composed by me & The Mr. on the way back, as an attempt at trying to manage the End of Holiday Blues):
- Design, Purchase & Install new soundsystem for house & veranda
- Spray Harley tank for to mount T's original artwork on
- Go shopping in PTA for a weekend (since I couldn't buy any new clothes when I was back stateside due to hand luggage constraints)
- Get tickets to see Gary the ToothFairy in Jozi & make weekend out of it with The Mr. & Uncle Alan
- Start cooking healthy again (OMG I can't wait to do this... although I will admit that I only put on 0.8kg over this holiday, which I am terribly pleased with since I had convinced myself that all the good eatin' & not-so-much exercisin' done on the Canada leg of our journey had totally nuked my fitness & weight watching).
- Invest more time in friendship maintenace for a couple of old friends who are clearly in need of special attention at the moment
- Organize all family photos
- Go camping before weather gets too hot
- Buy small motorbike so's I can get my motorcycle license before Harley is up and running
So there's some goals & aims that are all positive and non-work-related in nature which should not only help us enjoy the next 6 months before our xmas holiday to the Husband-land, but be fun in the meantime (well, the jury's out on the "funness" of that "organize family photos" one).
It's hard to believe the year is half over...
Labels: holiday recap
0 Responses to “Regrouping... re-regrouping”
Post a Comment