Let's play "Name that Disease"....
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 05 August 2010 at 8/05/2010 01:25:00 pm.
Here are the symptoms:
1. sudden onset of high temperature
2. extreme fatigue
3. some sneezing
4. general body aches
5. flush-ed-ness
That's about it. Whatever it is, it's the answer to how I am doing? today. yippeeeeeee.....
I hate to admit it but onset of illness aside, I have well and truly officially run out of steam. My post-holiday glow is gone, my well-restedness is nowhere to be found, I can't open my eyes earlier than the alarm anymore, patience with those around me is waning, and I just can't be bothered to put up with the all-around shyte.
-sigh-
But I suppose one good thing can be said for the past week and that is that I have managed to put text to paper and have formed the basis of a few research chapters. Bully for me.
No wait, actually it is bully for me - I mean it's something I haven't managed to do properly yet for the entirity of 2010 so there we go. Something to be happy about. Woo hoo.
12,000 words, huh?
So far I have 187+ 755+663... let's see, that's 1,605 words. Oh goodie only 10,000+ more to go. Blehhhhhhhh
This weekend was pretty fun, although admittedly I could already feel the positive energy being sucked out of my bones. Saturday night we went over to Jac&Mar's for dinner and it was all fine but we realized what a Negative Nelly that Mar can be which I suppose was kind of grating on my already-fragile state of mind. Just normal unnecessary stuff.... doesn't like the food here, doesn't like people, doesn't want to spend money on anything, doesn't like dogs, doesn't like much. It really kind of made us realize that if it wasn't for Jac being her hubster it would be a pretty ill-fitting match of people to socialize with. But what the hey, we had a nice dinner and some vino and that was that. To be honest, when Jac suggested playing poker (which normally I would be all over, seein' as I love me some card games) I even was kind of ambivalent and made up an excuse about how we had to wake up early for the Super Mountain Hash the next moring. I can assure you if it had been K&H our Belgian friends/neighbours we woulda been there til 2am at least. Social Fail on my part. :-(
Sunday the LJJ was feeling a lot better and the Hash was a lot of fun - the annual K-hill Ascent complete with Gin & Tonics at the summit and believe it or not a very serendip-ppity-doo-da-day experience for me.... this new Canadian guy (we'll call him The Pirate) was in attendence for the first time ever and as we got to talking somehow the subject of music came up and I mentioned what a lonely ol' banjo player I am these days because my only guitar-weilding companion done kicked the bucket on me (JB, whom he actually knew). Lo and behold he tells me about this blues & folk festival that he's organizing for October in a wee cow town just south of us, where all us non-conventional musician types are going to get together and jam and clinic and connect and what-what-what. I was elated!! I literally almost skipped all the way down the mountain. Hot diggity! An outlet for my pickin!!
However then it was when I realized that I don't have a band, and the only real way that I could make any progress on this "Moo-fest" as they be callin' it, is to join up on the FB site. Which I promptly did. So hopefully a bit of networking before October and I may be in luck.
For some reason playing again is weighing heavily on my mind - I think it was just the extacy of playing with the guys in the basement back home in July that awoke this corner of my brain that had been dormant since JB died. Honestly if I had a gun to my head I would have to say that it was that moment (those few hours) that defined the happiest that I have been for as long as I have been living here, which is pretty scary if you think about the fact that I'm doing next to nothing to get up and at 'em again at the moment (outside of playing with the geriatric quartet and along with my iPod)!!
I guess a little bit of that serendipitous meeting on sunday was responsible for this strange, eerie, creepy premonition that I've been living with throughout the rest of the week til now - which is that around the corner somewhere lies a band, and I'm in it. Woah. Heavy. I guess it never occurred to me to "start your own, dummy", but now it has and I'm wrestling with the idea which doesn't sit naturally with me because I'm such a viola player (read: I'm such a non-leader, more of a stage left type, more of a backgrounder, definitely NOT a singer/frontgirl/organizer) so therefore I guess I have always just waited til the dudes come to me and organize the "just for fun" screw-around sessions I have loved & lived for since I was a teenager. So it feels weird, but I see this "thing" forming in my imagination and over the past few days I have been thinking about it a lot - even coming up with a few shadows of an idea or 2 about a couple local musicians (one guitar player, one fiddle player) who I am just gingerly coming to the decision to approach with my wild & woolly "bluegrass in BW" idea. All I need is some balls.
Although I feel like rubbish, I'm trying to look forward to good stuff on the horizon. Like a couple weeks from now when we're off to Jozi to hang out with Uncle Alan and go to the GTF show. It will be kinda like his late birthday party, and we have to spend heaps of time with him whenever possible now that he's decided to piss off and hitchhike up to Sudan or wherever-the-hell starting in October for 6 months. I mean he might not survive, right!? HA! Anyhoo he's going to take me to his saturday morning hippie-yoga-in-the-park class which I am desperate for since it has been since-Lucy-left that I have been to yoga class (since her replacement is not my cup of tea). Also he is turning funny because his social circle now is quite hippie-centric after meeting all these funny friendly space-cadet girls in his yoga classes. I can't wait to meet them and see how my little antichrist brother-from-another-mother is rolling with these earth mammas. HA!
uh oh, I think my eyeballs are boiling. That can't be a good thing.
good lord I have no idea how I'm gonna make it through the Hash mismanagement meeting tonight at the B&B bar, if I feel like this now. Good thing it's my day to work from home tomorrow.
Done!
1. sudden onset of high temperature
2. extreme fatigue
3. some sneezing
4. general body aches
5. flush-ed-ness
That's about it. Whatever it is, it's the answer to how I am doing? today. yippeeeeeee.....
I hate to admit it but onset of illness aside, I have well and truly officially run out of steam. My post-holiday glow is gone, my well-restedness is nowhere to be found, I can't open my eyes earlier than the alarm anymore, patience with those around me is waning, and I just can't be bothered to put up with the all-around shyte.
-sigh-
But I suppose one good thing can be said for the past week and that is that I have managed to put text to paper and have formed the basis of a few research chapters. Bully for me.
No wait, actually it is bully for me - I mean it's something I haven't managed to do properly yet for the entirity of 2010 so there we go. Something to be happy about. Woo hoo.
12,000 words, huh?
So far I have 187+ 755+663... let's see, that's 1,605 words. Oh goodie only 10,000+ more to go. Blehhhhhhhh
This weekend was pretty fun, although admittedly I could already feel the positive energy being sucked out of my bones. Saturday night we went over to Jac&Mar's for dinner and it was all fine but we realized what a Negative Nelly that Mar can be which I suppose was kind of grating on my already-fragile state of mind. Just normal unnecessary stuff.... doesn't like the food here, doesn't like people, doesn't want to spend money on anything, doesn't like dogs, doesn't like much. It really kind of made us realize that if it wasn't for Jac being her hubster it would be a pretty ill-fitting match of people to socialize with. But what the hey, we had a nice dinner and some vino and that was that. To be honest, when Jac suggested playing poker (which normally I would be all over, seein' as I love me some card games) I even was kind of ambivalent and made up an excuse about how we had to wake up early for the Super Mountain Hash the next moring. I can assure you if it had been K&H our Belgian friends/neighbours we woulda been there til 2am at least. Social Fail on my part. :-(
Sunday the LJJ was feeling a lot better and the Hash was a lot of fun - the annual K-hill Ascent complete with Gin & Tonics at the summit and believe it or not a very serendip-ppity-doo-da-day experience for me.... this new Canadian guy (we'll call him The Pirate) was in attendence for the first time ever and as we got to talking somehow the subject of music came up and I mentioned what a lonely ol' banjo player I am these days because my only guitar-weilding companion done kicked the bucket on me (JB, whom he actually knew). Lo and behold he tells me about this blues & folk festival that he's organizing for October in a wee cow town just south of us, where all us non-conventional musician types are going to get together and jam and clinic and connect and what-what-what. I was elated!! I literally almost skipped all the way down the mountain. Hot diggity! An outlet for my pickin!!
However then it was when I realized that I don't have a band, and the only real way that I could make any progress on this "Moo-fest" as they be callin' it, is to join up on the FB site. Which I promptly did. So hopefully a bit of networking before October and I may be in luck.
For some reason playing again is weighing heavily on my mind - I think it was just the extacy of playing with the guys in the basement back home in July that awoke this corner of my brain that had been dormant since JB died. Honestly if I had a gun to my head I would have to say that it was that moment (those few hours) that defined the happiest that I have been for as long as I have been living here, which is pretty scary if you think about the fact that I'm doing next to nothing to get up and at 'em again at the moment (outside of playing with the geriatric quartet and along with my iPod)!!
I guess a little bit of that serendipitous meeting on sunday was responsible for this strange, eerie, creepy premonition that I've been living with throughout the rest of the week til now - which is that around the corner somewhere lies a band, and I'm in it. Woah. Heavy. I guess it never occurred to me to "start your own, dummy", but now it has and I'm wrestling with the idea which doesn't sit naturally with me because I'm such a viola player (read: I'm such a non-leader, more of a stage left type, more of a backgrounder, definitely NOT a singer/frontgirl/organizer) so therefore I guess I have always just waited til the dudes come to me and organize the "just for fun" screw-around sessions I have loved & lived for since I was a teenager. So it feels weird, but I see this "thing" forming in my imagination and over the past few days I have been thinking about it a lot - even coming up with a few shadows of an idea or 2 about a couple local musicians (one guitar player, one fiddle player) who I am just gingerly coming to the decision to approach with my wild & woolly "bluegrass in BW" idea. All I need is some balls.
Although I feel like rubbish, I'm trying to look forward to good stuff on the horizon. Like a couple weeks from now when we're off to Jozi to hang out with Uncle Alan and go to the GTF show. It will be kinda like his late birthday party, and we have to spend heaps of time with him whenever possible now that he's decided to piss off and hitchhike up to Sudan or wherever-the-hell starting in October for 6 months. I mean he might not survive, right!? HA! Anyhoo he's going to take me to his saturday morning hippie-yoga-in-the-park class which I am desperate for since it has been since-Lucy-left that I have been to yoga class (since her replacement is not my cup of tea). Also he is turning funny because his social circle now is quite hippie-centric after meeting all these funny friendly space-cadet girls in his yoga classes. I can't wait to meet them and see how my little antichrist brother-from-another-mother is rolling with these earth mammas. HA!
uh oh, I think my eyeballs are boiling. That can't be a good thing.
good lord I have no idea how I'm gonna make it through the Hash mismanagement meeting tonight at the B&B bar, if I feel like this now. Good thing it's my day to work from home tomorrow.
Done!
0 Responses to “Let's play "Name that Disease"....”
Post a Comment