Slipping out of fitness and into life-fatigue...
1 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 15 September 2010 at 9/15/2010 08:56:00 am.
OK now I'm just getting annoyed with myself.
The symptoms of being too busy with work and academia have never kept me from physical fitness and lately that's exactly what's happening. Last week I made it to the gym ONCE. Did NO exercise the entire time we were in Ghz-town, and have thus far made it through this week with a mere 1 run. I am so disappointed!!! Sure I gave myself a free pass to slip a couple times in the month of August when I got sick TWICE in one MONTH (WTF!?!?!? Who is this imposter living in my body??) but lately I think I've been struck down by a case of laziness, life-fatigue, and general lack of inspiration. Not to mention running low on self-discipline. Although, on a positive note I guess, I'm still keeping up with my daily situps&pushups routine, albeit now it's rather begrudgingly. Which is sort of a failure as well, because my intention was that this routine would be something that would be sustainable 365 days a year and NOT be something that I would resent, due to it's 1-minuteness. Granted gaining 1 kg (which is where I'm at now) and avoiding the gym/running/otherwise working out is not the end of the world, and the LAST thing I want to do is become obsessive - there's nothing worse than an obsessive fitness freak who can't sleep if they didn't burn Xno. calories in a day, and that has never been me nor do I want to become that. But the more I slip, the more I fret about it, and thus begins the slippery slope to becoming not only obsessive, but frustrated & grumpy to boot!!! Everybody loses!!! AGhhhhh!!!!
I just have to get back to the gym so that I can remind myself that I actually LIKE the gym. When I don't go, I forget that I like it and how good I feel upon exiting those big glass doors with burning muscles and a spring in my step. Having a normal schedule again would also help - I have hardly been in the office the last 2 weeks (which are the days that are logistically possible for me to get there) because of meetings and trips and other crap so hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel.
When I get in these ruts I also ignore the various musical instruments in my house that are begging to be attended to and enjoyed. Again, something i ENJOY but tend to avoid and ignore when I get into these periods of uninspiredness. I seem to have given up my short-lived hopes of finding someone to play with in these parts - again probably related to the general life-fatigue and assorted feelings of zombieitis.
On a lighter note, I finished a bunch of books and am now bookless. Too bad we don't have a proper bookstore in this one-cow town. So for my weekly flight up and back to Mauntropolois yesterday I cracked out an old Dave Barry gem that I hadn't read since the 90s (Dave Barry Slept Here) and lo and behold found myself laughing "public-style" (as in trying your darndest to stifle or otherwise mask your chortle/chuckle/hardeeharhar in a professional business-trippy kind of way) for about 4 quality hours. The funny part is that one of my colleagues on the same trip was reading HIS Bill Bryson book across the aisle from me, and doing the same thing. That plane was like the stifle-chortle-mobile.
The recent business-trip "fambly style" to Ghz-town at the end of last week was plagued with pains in my ass due to the long, hot, desert-based, not-worth-going-over-in-detail tale of our current vehicle woes. But the abridged version is basically (inhale) - our regular old trusty 4x4 has a terminal transmission issue rendering it useless for the amount of offroading required by our current work projects and upcoming new projects. Need replacement desperately. Apparently G-city is all fresh out of suitable tick-all-the-boxes rigs for our needs. The Mr. decides to import one from the UK. Arrangements made. Waiting period = 4 weeks. Lots of need for new rig in those 4 weeks. Import dealer agrees to give us a "loaner rig" til the new Cruiser gets here. Said "loaner rig" = "piece of shit" or maybe we should more appropriately call it "bummer rig" (I still be workin' on the cussin'), but what the hey, let's drive it 10 hours into bushman land Kalahari anyway cuz we promised the Client we would. Ugh. Needless to say, The Mr's bush mechanic abilities got a real workout and so did my patience. Of course every time something busted or otherwise crapped out on us, it was at a time when *I* was the one sitting in the direct sunlight (and on "take The Kid to the potty" duty). This did not make for happy travelling. But nevertheless we made it where we had to go, and we pacified our exasparations and feddy-uppyness with staying in a decent bush lodge and eating well (room service) and drinking a good bottle of wine each night in front of those blessed HIMYM episodes that have saved my sanity time and time again (love you, Brandon!) by contributing ample belly laughs to the cause.
This coming weekend is the annual Ostrich Migration which is a big Hash event whereby we cover 75km as a relay, each runner sprinting 100m at a time while waving a feather duster... don't ask... split up into teams that compete for the win. Our team is surely to kick some arse as we are all good runners but it's really just for fun so no one gives a wank. Our team name is Yank Me Doodle, Dandy (as the majority of us... actually now that I think about it, all of us except The Mr., are of american liniage) and I reckon we have a good chance at whatever crap prize is up for grabs (which I should know, as the GM, but I dont - chalk it up to life-fatigue again). It will all culminate with a giant meal and drinking and dancing and is sure to be a good time. Then Sunday, Uncle A comes up for our last night with him before he sets off from our place on foot/public transport on his un-planned 6-month trek up the Righthand side of Africa.
In news from the Awesome Department, there was surprise/unexpected snail mail in the PO for us this week.... a huge package out of nowhere from Favorite Cousin Scott & his good lady Tina (did I used to call them S&T? I can't remember my blog monikers anymore. Well, from now on they're Favorite Cousin Scott & Tina) which actually, was not for me but for LJJ, and it was packed with random cool stuff from back home such as clothes in acceptable colours and 1 pragmatic toy and a very luxurious blanket and toddler crackers & snacks. For no reason, just the fact that they are awesome. As always I forget there are people like that on this selfish narcissistic planet and it just moves me to.... i dont know what... when I get these little kicks in the ass that prove that random acts of generosity do exist.
And on that note I have to get back to my data cracking, coffee mainlining, and word-writing. I feel like I've ACTUALLY made progress on this BLOODY piece of research (perhaps that's what is sucking the life from me? I dunno.) and may actually be able to have it in some sort of respectable form by the 1st week of October when I have to send it in for review by my shiny new advisor named Jonathan. Let's hope his name is as auspicious as I hope it is - Jonathan - lovely ring to it, no? Far better than Mr. Butter (my old jackass of a useless &$#%!) because I'm way past the point of no return on finalizing this beeyatch.
The symptoms of being too busy with work and academia have never kept me from physical fitness and lately that's exactly what's happening. Last week I made it to the gym ONCE. Did NO exercise the entire time we were in Ghz-town, and have thus far made it through this week with a mere 1 run. I am so disappointed!!! Sure I gave myself a free pass to slip a couple times in the month of August when I got sick TWICE in one MONTH (WTF!?!?!? Who is this imposter living in my body??) but lately I think I've been struck down by a case of laziness, life-fatigue, and general lack of inspiration. Not to mention running low on self-discipline. Although, on a positive note I guess, I'm still keeping up with my daily situps&pushups routine, albeit now it's rather begrudgingly. Which is sort of a failure as well, because my intention was that this routine would be something that would be sustainable 365 days a year and NOT be something that I would resent, due to it's 1-minuteness. Granted gaining 1 kg (which is where I'm at now) and avoiding the gym/running/otherwise working out is not the end of the world, and the LAST thing I want to do is become obsessive - there's nothing worse than an obsessive fitness freak who can't sleep if they didn't burn Xno. calories in a day, and that has never been me nor do I want to become that. But the more I slip, the more I fret about it, and thus begins the slippery slope to becoming not only obsessive, but frustrated & grumpy to boot!!! Everybody loses!!! AGhhhhh!!!!
I just have to get back to the gym so that I can remind myself that I actually LIKE the gym. When I don't go, I forget that I like it and how good I feel upon exiting those big glass doors with burning muscles and a spring in my step. Having a normal schedule again would also help - I have hardly been in the office the last 2 weeks (which are the days that are logistically possible for me to get there) because of meetings and trips and other crap so hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel.
When I get in these ruts I also ignore the various musical instruments in my house that are begging to be attended to and enjoyed. Again, something i ENJOY but tend to avoid and ignore when I get into these periods of uninspiredness. I seem to have given up my short-lived hopes of finding someone to play with in these parts - again probably related to the general life-fatigue and assorted feelings of zombieitis.
On a lighter note, I finished a bunch of books and am now bookless. Too bad we don't have a proper bookstore in this one-cow town. So for my weekly flight up and back to Mauntropolois yesterday I cracked out an old Dave Barry gem that I hadn't read since the 90s (Dave Barry Slept Here) and lo and behold found myself laughing "public-style" (as in trying your darndest to stifle or otherwise mask your chortle/chuckle/hardeeharhar in a professional business-trippy kind of way) for about 4 quality hours. The funny part is that one of my colleagues on the same trip was reading HIS Bill Bryson book across the aisle from me, and doing the same thing. That plane was like the stifle-chortle-mobile.
The recent business-trip "fambly style" to Ghz-town at the end of last week was plagued with pains in my ass due to the long, hot, desert-based, not-worth-going-over-in-detail tale of our current vehicle woes. But the abridged version is basically (inhale) - our regular old trusty 4x4 has a terminal transmission issue rendering it useless for the amount of offroading required by our current work projects and upcoming new projects. Need replacement desperately. Apparently G-city is all fresh out of suitable tick-all-the-boxes rigs for our needs. The Mr. decides to import one from the UK. Arrangements made. Waiting period = 4 weeks. Lots of need for new rig in those 4 weeks. Import dealer agrees to give us a "loaner rig" til the new Cruiser gets here. Said "loaner rig" = "piece of shit" or maybe we should more appropriately call it "bummer rig" (I still be workin' on the cussin'), but what the hey, let's drive it 10 hours into bushman land Kalahari anyway cuz we promised the Client we would. Ugh. Needless to say, The Mr's bush mechanic abilities got a real workout and so did my patience. Of course every time something busted or otherwise crapped out on us, it was at a time when *I* was the one sitting in the direct sunlight (and on "take The Kid to the potty" duty). This did not make for happy travelling. But nevertheless we made it where we had to go, and we pacified our exasparations and feddy-uppyness with staying in a decent bush lodge and eating well (room service) and drinking a good bottle of wine each night in front of those blessed HIMYM episodes that have saved my sanity time and time again (love you, Brandon!) by contributing ample belly laughs to the cause.
This coming weekend is the annual Ostrich Migration which is a big Hash event whereby we cover 75km as a relay, each runner sprinting 100m at a time while waving a feather duster... don't ask... split up into teams that compete for the win. Our team is surely to kick some arse as we are all good runners but it's really just for fun so no one gives a wank. Our team name is Yank Me Doodle, Dandy (as the majority of us... actually now that I think about it, all of us except The Mr., are of american liniage) and I reckon we have a good chance at whatever crap prize is up for grabs (which I should know, as the GM, but I dont - chalk it up to life-fatigue again). It will all culminate with a giant meal and drinking and dancing and is sure to be a good time. Then Sunday, Uncle A comes up for our last night with him before he sets off from our place on foot/public transport on his un-planned 6-month trek up the Righthand side of Africa.
In news from the Awesome Department, there was surprise/unexpected snail mail in the PO for us this week.... a huge package out of nowhere from Favorite Cousin Scott & his good lady Tina (did I used to call them S&T? I can't remember my blog monikers anymore. Well, from now on they're Favorite Cousin Scott & Tina) which actually, was not for me but for LJJ, and it was packed with random cool stuff from back home such as clothes in acceptable colours and 1 pragmatic toy and a very luxurious blanket and toddler crackers & snacks. For no reason, just the fact that they are awesome. As always I forget there are people like that on this selfish narcissistic planet and it just moves me to.... i dont know what... when I get these little kicks in the ass that prove that random acts of generosity do exist.
And on that note I have to get back to my data cracking, coffee mainlining, and word-writing. I feel like I've ACTUALLY made progress on this BLOODY piece of research (perhaps that's what is sucking the life from me? I dunno.) and may actually be able to have it in some sort of respectable form by the 1st week of October when I have to send it in for review by my shiny new advisor named Jonathan. Let's hope his name is as auspicious as I hope it is - Jonathan - lovely ring to it, no? Far better than Mr. Butter (my old jackass of a useless &$#%!) because I'm way past the point of no return on finalizing this beeyatch.
Yum, snacks! Lucky LJJ.