User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Brain growin'..... CHECK!!

So this is old news already but I am officially FREE!!!

Free from the shackles that have bound my brain for the last three years and culminated in completing 10 months worth of thesis-writing in 5. Assuming they don't fail it outright over yonder in the UK, you may now call me Oh Wayward Master-Master One. ~curtsey~

Re: what I finally decided to say in my Acknowledgements, it materialized as follows...
-ahem-

"ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
My deepest gratitude goes first and foremost to Mr. Jonathan W..., without whom this research would likely have been given up on and never pulled out of the black hole for which it was bound. It is only because of his willingness to help, patience, genuinely supportive and constructive input that this dissertation could be submitted. Without a doubt, there is no imaginable way I could have done it without Mr. W... as my advisor.
I also must extend much heartfelt appreciation to [The Mr.] and my colleagues at L.E. for not only helping and supporting my research, but also for leaving me alone long enough to finish it.
Many thanks to Mr. W. Yuan, Mr. E. Xing, Mr. S. Chidziba, and Mr. M. Skelton, all of whom played integral parts in the data collection phase of this endeavour and very kindly assisted me through not only participating, but helping to convey an understanding of why things happen as they do in the Construction Industry.
Finally, I am very grateful to Vicky W... and Lauren J... at the University of P.mouth EDMDL office for their reliable and rapid-response time in answering emails, re-sending files, and being generally nice people to work with over the course of this MSc programme. Their assistance has made the challenge of distance learning manageable."


I'm not letting it get too laurel-resty around here though, primarily since I can see that one of the lessons learned through all of this was that even when you THINK you can do it all, you can't. Things will suffer. Space will be made on the proverbial table of life by sweeping other similarly-worthy items off. Now I gotta pick those ones up and glue some of them back together because clearly the table of life sits on a damn hard tile floor. Like I dont even want to KNOW how bad my banjo-pickin' & piano ploinkin' skills are anymore these days, and it's clear that my diet and exercise regimen has been thoroughly compromised (you can tell by the extra 1.5kg on the scale), and the fact that The Mr. keeps making it VERY CLEAR that he feels he's running our business all by himself and it's driving him bat-assy. There's a dozen books who're getting nowhere fast on my bedside table, and 2 dozen friends on my gchat who done gave up on my ass.

BUT, hey, it's done now. The truth is that I made a decision 3 years ago to commit some time into doing something for the academic Me, and now that that's done and checked off, I can leave it alone now and do something for the other Me-s. Feels good. Hard to prioritize though, for the next step. I realize that in order to be the good wife-Me, I need to also up my game for the work-Me, because one of the best gifts I could give to The Mr. right now would be to relieve some of his burden at the office for him. I can catagorically state I am NOT looking forward to that, but hey it'll be 10x easier than what I just managed to accomplish so I gotta keep reminding myself of that, and I guess ultimately Love is helping out when & where you're needed and it's Not Always All About You.

So, with that said, I guess I gotta stop this diarizin' and write that damn report that The Mr. asked me to have done about oh, a week ago, and which the Client is currently riding his ass about not having done. This weekend was relaxing enough (friends from Joburg up for the weekend which was ok., and making cornhole beanbags with Doc & Mrs Doc which was ok, nothing exciting or interesting) so I guess it's a good time to hit the ground running now & start ticking more boxes.

Labels:

0 Responses to “Brain growin'..... CHECK!!”

Post a Comment



© 2006