User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


In a Little While

OK, I accept I need to work on this 2-week-interval thing.... especially since that last blogger-misfire thing resulted in my 2-weeks-ago-post not even being posted! It has been *mentioned* and I have taken *note*.

My bad. I'm just full of second-guessyness.


The secret must be in not making the post too long, even though when something is meaningful, you have to explain why, and that can get emotionally involving. And thus, wordy.


I know there's more meaningful things in my life..... why don't they come to me? Why do I keep second-guessing the things that I do think about for a brief moment every couple of days or so?

Maybe I should sparsely integrate normal boring "this is what I have been doing with my life" posts in between the meaningful ones?



Anyhoo, another whopper of meaningful smacked me in the face the other night at the U2 concert.


For the record, The Mr., myself, Doc & Mrs Doc, and another couple (friends but more on the "acquaintences" end of the spectrum than the Doc & Mrs Doc end), we'll call them the Morgs, went down to The Big Smoke (Jozi) to watch the U2 concert. It also happened to be Valentine's weekend. Not sure why that's noteworthy but it is.


Well, in an attempt to keep this from being an hour's worth of writing, I will try and be less wordy than usual. Here goes:


So, The Mr's and my "Song" has always been a U2 song: "In a Little While", off of the "All that you can't leave behind" album. I always have been of the opinion that it's important to have "your song", mainly because music is my THING and all songs conjure up feelings inside me when I hear them, and I think it's important to have one that conjures up nothing but you & the love of your life together. Something of a "feature song" on the soundtrack of your life together. And that's "our" tune. It's the song that we danced our first dance to at our wedding, and it's the song that plays in the background of the "3-minute-slimmed-down version" of our wedding video. Actually - That whole album was big for us because it was released in 2000 (I'll always remember that - and I am HORRIBLE at remembering album release years that aren't 1969 or 1976 for some reason, or aren't released by The Band or The Rolling Stones). The whole album was really huge in our lives when we met back in South Africa that year, as it was getting a lot of airplay, we were both U2 fans, and we had several assorted "moments" during our ownership of that album together. One including a particular morning when we were hopped up on Extacy and had the damn thing on non-stop loop/repeat for an uncountable number of hours, during which the activities that took place I will refrain from translating into words for the sake of my reputation.... BUT ANYWAY. Our first dance at our wedding was to this song, and it has always given me goosebumps to this day to hear it because it fills me with oceans of emotions and love, love, love.


Anyway! So there we were, the 13th of February, 2011, 11 years later on, in the nosebleed section of FBN Stadium in Soweto, not expecting anything other than the latest tour's setlist material and some standard throwback hits from this one of the world's greatest bands massive catalogue... and I was already chuffed that they had already done a song or two off of "our" album... and all of a sudden.... that tiny little guitar riff that starts out with a whole-step slide from the first note to the second.... Edge starts playing it.... and...... ohmygod


the tears!


I never in a million years would've guessed it. I mean first of all, it's not even one of their hits. Oh hell no, it's just some B-side level tune off of a 10 year old album that happened to stitch itself into the lives of US TWO.... really, no one else even knows it unless you're a big fan of that album. Or the fact that "we" started out as a couple in South Africa to this song, and here we were back in South Africa 11 years later having OUR song serenaded to us by Bono on Valentine's Eve...? Never in a MILLION years. How the HELL did that come to happen? I was so shocked, I just don't know if it was my shock or my emotions or the fact that we already were kind of in awe of this massive production that we were blessed to be a part of (reportedly the biggest concert they've ever put on in terms of number of attendees, and HUGE for South Africa).... but I whip my head around to Mrs Doc who was sitting to my right, and go "THIS IS OUR WEDDING SONG!" and immediately am engulfed in the arms of The Mr. and we proceed to slow dance (to the dismay of those seated behind us I'm sure ... as this was obviously one of U2's "sitter" numbers, but OH-to-the-WELL) through the whole thing, and these tear ducts of mine who have not been called to labour for hell, eons now, are kinda working overtime.


To try and explain in words the feeling that I felt in those 3 minutes or so, is just too hard. But I reckon every 9-year-old marriage needs that kind of "refresher" and HOLY SHIT moment where the tsunami of nostalgia and reminders and memories and emotion just washes over you and you're having a COLOSSAL heart swell. And I could see that The Mr. was overwhelmed too and just for one song we didn't give a shit about the people behind us, and just for one song it was just us and the 4 dudes on stage.... the rest of the 100,000 people in the audience just disappeared and there was nothing else in the universe. My heart was all swelled up to the size of Africa. Love flowed in from all directions and flooded every atom of every cell in my being. It was indescribable. And an extremely meaningful phenomena that I will NEVER forget for as long as I live.

Labels: ,

1 Responses to “In a Little While”

  1. # Blogger Steve and Madonna

    lovely.  

Post a Comment



© 2006