Badibadibadibadibadibadibadibaaaa...!
0 Comments Published by Oh Wayward One on 10 June 2011 at 6/10/2011 08:11:00 am.
....that's the answer you get if you ask the choddler "what does the motorcycle say?"
(we're in that whole "the cow says moooo, the goat says baaaaaa, the kitty says meeeooww" ad nauseum stage)
I have to write about motorcycles this time because it's the only thing on my mind these days (I really don't have anything on my mind these days. In the words of Tom Petty, I'm barely prolific and incredibly lazy. What can I say). Which means it's also a meaningful part of my life. Ever since I got my license and have been riding the Harley, I just want more and more and more motorbike in my life. So much so that The Mr & LJJ and I drove all the way down to Pretoria last weekend to do some shopping for my OWN machine (yes the Harley is a maginficent beast, but *technically* from a health and safety perspective it is not ergonomically suited for midgets and I need to be able to put my foot down flat in traffic and I just can't on that one). Aside from now having 2 motorcycle fanatics in the family and only one machine (which will simply never do), I also wanted something more comfortable and wee-person-friendly in terms of center of gravity, weight, height, etc. So I fell in love with a 1994 Honda Steed (meaningful to me because it's when I graduated highschool!! Plus my dad raised me on the back of a Honda) while we were down there and promptly bought it. We're bringing it back this weekend. I can't wait. I just want to ride all the time and I can't really think of anything else.
Well I do want to spray the tank black and put the same Missouri flag artwork that we have on the HD onto it. But I can wait awhile to do that because that means it'll be out of commission for several days and I'm just a little too obsessed right now to deal with sending him away for that long after just getting him.
Him, by the way, meaning Sneaky Pete. Named for my favourite pedal steel player and Rock & Roll History Legend from the Flying Burrito Brothers (who I've been drowning my sorrows in a lot lately). And for the fact that compared to the HD, it's such a soft & quiet ride. no earplugs necessary. And i know a lot of class-act guys named Pete.
Point being, we are getting closer to the day that The Mr. and I can ride off into the sunset on the machines and no one has to get their ass kicked on the back of the HD (which is LITERALLY what it feels like when you're riding as a pillion on the back of that thing). Last hurdle is getting it registred once we bring it into the country this weekend. That may take a few days too, but it's the last piece of the puzzle.
In terms of why motoring has all of a sudden become so bloody meaningful to me, all I can say is ever since I got my license I feel like I have another THING that brings pleasure to me which is actually attainable, something I can actually DO. Not like music which is really frustrating me these days (but that's a whole 'nother story involving this trio of guys I started playing with but who appear to be the laziest human beings in the country and have totally disintegrated off the planet), and not like fitness which is just a means to an end (health & wellbeing) but that I don't dream of doing for FUN... hopping on the bike and just riding in and of itself is something that lifts my heart and shoots adrenyline through my veins and leaves me happy and in a state of bliss. The riding part makes me experience my surroundings in a whole different manner, an organic manner where you feel you're a part of the space and sky and air around you, not just trapped in a big metal/glass bubble rolling down the tarmac surrounded by electronics and gadgetry.
Anyhoo, Bots is the worst country in the world to be a motorbike enthusiast but I'm going to make it work one way or another.
Next installment - my upcoming trip back to the homeland.
(we're in that whole "the cow says moooo, the goat says baaaaaa, the kitty says meeeooww" ad nauseum stage)
I have to write about motorcycles this time because it's the only thing on my mind these days (I really don't have anything on my mind these days. In the words of Tom Petty, I'm barely prolific and incredibly lazy. What can I say). Which means it's also a meaningful part of my life. Ever since I got my license and have been riding the Harley, I just want more and more and more motorbike in my life. So much so that The Mr & LJJ and I drove all the way down to Pretoria last weekend to do some shopping for my OWN machine (yes the Harley is a maginficent beast, but *technically* from a health and safety perspective it is not ergonomically suited for midgets and I need to be able to put my foot down flat in traffic and I just can't on that one). Aside from now having 2 motorcycle fanatics in the family and only one machine (which will simply never do), I also wanted something more comfortable and wee-person-friendly in terms of center of gravity, weight, height, etc. So I fell in love with a 1994 Honda Steed (meaningful to me because it's when I graduated highschool!! Plus my dad raised me on the back of a Honda) while we were down there and promptly bought it. We're bringing it back this weekend. I can't wait. I just want to ride all the time and I can't really think of anything else.
Well I do want to spray the tank black and put the same Missouri flag artwork that we have on the HD onto it. But I can wait awhile to do that because that means it'll be out of commission for several days and I'm just a little too obsessed right now to deal with sending him away for that long after just getting him.
Him, by the way, meaning Sneaky Pete. Named for my favourite pedal steel player and Rock & Roll History Legend from the Flying Burrito Brothers (who I've been drowning my sorrows in a lot lately). And for the fact that compared to the HD, it's such a soft & quiet ride. no earplugs necessary. And i know a lot of class-act guys named Pete.
Point being, we are getting closer to the day that The Mr. and I can ride off into the sunset on the machines and no one has to get their ass kicked on the back of the HD (which is LITERALLY what it feels like when you're riding as a pillion on the back of that thing). Last hurdle is getting it registred once we bring it into the country this weekend. That may take a few days too, but it's the last piece of the puzzle.
In terms of why motoring has all of a sudden become so bloody meaningful to me, all I can say is ever since I got my license I feel like I have another THING that brings pleasure to me which is actually attainable, something I can actually DO. Not like music which is really frustrating me these days (but that's a whole 'nother story involving this trio of guys I started playing with but who appear to be the laziest human beings in the country and have totally disintegrated off the planet), and not like fitness which is just a means to an end (health & wellbeing) but that I don't dream of doing for FUN... hopping on the bike and just riding in and of itself is something that lifts my heart and shoots adrenyline through my veins and leaves me happy and in a state of bliss. The riding part makes me experience my surroundings in a whole different manner, an organic manner where you feel you're a part of the space and sky and air around you, not just trapped in a big metal/glass bubble rolling down the tarmac surrounded by electronics and gadgetry.
Anyhoo, Bots is the worst country in the world to be a motorbike enthusiast but I'm going to make it work one way or another.
Next installment - my upcoming trip back to the homeland.
Labels: Meaningful, motorcycle
0 Responses to “Badibadibadibadibadibadibadibaaaa...!”
Post a Comment