Since today is our "family day", as in the day we celebrate the addition of one LJJ into our fambly, I just decided to take a walk down memory lane through the digital photo files from "july 2009". Sure, it was fun to see the now-choddler in all her babyness, but there were a couple photos in particular that really got the ol' emotions in a tizzy, and they were not baby-ey at all.
These two in particular:
BB sitting next to me at a beach bar in Swakopmund, staring out at the ocean. We were drinking beers (LJJ's first ever bar) and relaxing after walking the beach that afternoon in the cold & wind. Probably wondering what the hell is going to happen to him now that there's a small 3 month old sitting not only just across the table from him, but right smack in the middle of our lives.
and:

Me & the boy having a moment, after playing hard in the dunes. That's a tough workout, fer realz. This is quintessential B. behaviour - I stop moving for a second and he's right there for a cuddle, ideally ON TOP of me somehow. He is such a lovey dovey hound.
I've been noticing the Bills getting seriously senior these past few months - his muzzle is all white and he doesn't get around like he used to - his old man arthritis gets pretty harsh during winter and he's always cold. It just makes me realize that someday there's going to be no more BillyBob, just like there is now no more Reggie - and that makes me so bloody sad it just chokes me up every time. Having the Bill with us in Namibia when we got LJJ - that whole trip, actually, makes him such a special member of the family, and all his other adventures (including his million brushes with death!) and the things he's lived through are also really major milestones of my life that he's been right along with me for.
The Bills is now officially my longest standing pup. The Reg will probably always be my No. 1 boy, but Billy is so close to my heart these days, it's ridiculous. The older he gets, the less he leaves my side. He comes to the office with me every day, insists on jumping into the car every time I do, and tries ever so hard to sneak onto the bed once we've fallen asleep to snuggle up against me and spend the few hours before I wake up, when then he jumps off again as if he was never there (b/c he knows he's not allowed). I've caught on to his little sneak-fest, but I can't bring myself to do anything about it because I just love him so much it kills me!
Anyhoo, life is precious and probably the most precious life in the world is that of a dog's, and sometimes my love for my hounds is a little extreme, but I can't help it. Especially with this one... my best buddy in the whole world, and the single living being on the planet who I always know loves me more than anything else. That's a mighty special and meaningful ball of emotion, when you think about it. My boy! My buddy! My Billy-o!
Labels: hounds, Meaningful
0 Responses to “Billington”
Post a Comment