User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


Day 7 - and all the positives

Yesterday:
Groceries - bought. Except there's no FLIPPING limes in this town. How am I supposed to make cold udon noodle salad with no lime?!? (i used lemon)
TLA - downloaded. Eventually. It was definitely the most entertaining one yet. 5 stars.
Campground - contacted, but to no avail. Try again tomorrow.
University course - checked up on and confounded. WTH classes did I sign up for anyway?!?!

Today's list:
* Decide if I like T.I.
* Play squash
* Try camping place again
* AB-N's photos for newsletter
----

This whole Month of Self-Betterment is going quite well.
I'm learning stuff. Useful stuff. Like,

IF YOU WANT TO GET ANY WORK DONE, TURN OF THE DAMN INTER-WEB!!!

(or at least between the hours of 10-4)

In addition to that little gem, can I just say believe it or not, I'm enjoying my job more. OK I still wish I was something interesting, like a psychologist or a horse trainer, or just Professionally Awesome.... but I have to say there's a sweet note of "something-that-is-not-hate" in my working hours over the last week. That is so odd.

I think one reason is that I've learned that I can indeed do some things while listening to iTunes or some of the podcasts that I've decided to start downloading during this little human experiment. (This American Life, All Songs Considered, and the weekly Best of YouTube -nb: that's a video one, so it doesn't get watched til we're off-the-clock)

I always said I was the type of gal who can't listen to something (tv, music, radio) if I'm writing. And given that 80% of my job is writing reports, I've never even bothered to try. But the thing I'm learning is that I can do CERTAIN parts of the report-writing while listening. For example, I can set up the document, I can do some cut & pasteys from other reports, I can format the thing, I can make charts and tables, etc.... all that stuff, I can actually listen to iTunes in the meantime and boy howdy, does that make all the difference in the world.

Man it's like 2009 is going to be the year of epiphany.
Who'da thought?!

I watched the Grammys (24 hours behind, as everything else on tv here) and was soooooooo happy for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Raising Sand was my Big Musical Discovery for the whole of 2008, and I love them both as much separately as together. AND they played live during the awards. Awesome.

I went running with the Mr. yesterday instead of going to yoga. I need a break from it or something. I just need to WANT to go again. I'm finding it a little on the yawn-side lately. No reason in particular, I'm just letting the whole "avoiding unpleasant things" thing play itself out and see how it goes. Not that yoga was unpleasant. Oh no, on the contrary I love it. I just need to avoid the burnout.

Avoiding situations of potential aggro and stress at all costs is a good strategy. It's been working wonders for the Mr., who has made so many changes to his behaviour in an attempt to bypass all the aggro he managed to find himself in last year. For example: trying to find an auto trader to trade in old car and dealing with the messers = difficult. Money to be made = high potential, but Dickheads to be encountered and messiness to be had = high potential. Whereas: Putting old car in newspaper and missing out on a few bucks but having people come to you = easy. His new strategy is to make life more pleasant by making life easier. Hence, drop the Treasurer gig with the Animal Peeps, and put the car in the newspaper. Move into house in G-village that isn't a total dump in need of major fixing, instead of saving a few bucks moving into a dive (with more slacker overseas landlords) in our Priority 1 neighbourhood. OK I know I'm going back a month now, but it's proving a good strategy. I recommend it. And the new Mudcrutch album. And the Hold Steady album. And Raising Sand.

That is all.

Labels: , ,

0 Responses to “Day 7 - and all the positives”

Post a Comment



© 2006