User-agent: Googlebot-Blog Disallow: / >

My Year of Meaningful (2011)

"Quality takes you out of yourself, makes you aware of the world around you." - R.M. Pirsig


I think I've discovered a new tactic...

There is something to be said for "killing 'em with kindness", I reckon. If the first 3 months of 2010 have taught me anything, it's slowly coming to this.


So after telling Adelly that her most recent encounter with an unreasonable cow (not too far off in nature from my unreasonable cow in the Aus high commission) would've been far more 2010 if it had involved pretending said cow didn't exist rather than reacting and wasting her breath, blood pressure, and time of day, it got me thinking - MAN I've changed! WTF!! But I feel it's for the better - if nothing else, my new shock tactic of remaining mindful and turning the other cheek when necessary, (not because I LIKE TO, but more because it's so new and different that it's almost like going out of the house in disguise or something) has really taken a lot of my typical nemeses by surprise and left them corn-fused and slack-jawed and I'll be damned if that isn't just a wee bit of a cherry on top of the personal improvement!

My point here is that the results are back in - LJJ's passport arrived WITH Aussie visa neatly pasted inside, so even if I second, third, and fourth-guessed myself about ripping Mrs. Nasty Nosey Cow in Visitors' Visas a new arse-hole, it turns out that the few-deep-breaths option won out over the protest option. And everybody wins, because I'm STILL going to write that nasty-ass letter when we get back and they can't do anything to me anymore. On top of that, Mr. Arrogant-Doesnt-Like-My-Research Professor got a confounding email from me (after he wrote me some horribly rude email about how I need to "just get on with it" and stop being so needy! Shock! Horror!) where *I* actually apologized for bothering him and all sorts of really nice stuff that I'm sure made him go "HUH?! WTF?!", because I immediately got a really kiss-ass response back from him that you would've thought was coming from my biggest fan. I rubbed my hands together and laughed. It's almost entertaining. Although the initial blow-to-the-ego part is still difficult. But really - Patience. Virtue. Kill with kindness. All that stuff. It's entertaining if nothing else.

Anyhoo, I haven't had the time to do crap lately because I've got the pedal to the metal in terms of getting this draft of my Stage 1 Thesis development in, prior to us leaving. That and I gotta finish up MY LAST MAGAZINE for the Animal Peeps as editor HOT DIGGITY!! Before we leave too.

And we leave Saturday.

And boy am I excited!!! Just wish me luck that LJJ hangs in there and doesnt let the jetlag turn her into a baby monster. I can't believe it will be her 1st birthday while we are away. She doesn't seem BIG enough to be 1, but hey, them's the facts, Jack. She was hanging out with a 9-month old the other day at her play group and I swear he dwarfed her. Well, he *was* a sturdy old breast-fed German boy, I guess. But still, even our Ecologist at work's 5-month old is bigger than her. dude. talk about taking after your mamma!

Right, so as far as trip plans, my activities are as follows, for the remainder of the week:
  • Book Sydney hotel, going for the highest amount of stars for the lowest price in the CBD by strategically stalking lastminute.com
  • Figure out how to pack for 2 weeks and about 3 different seasons in nothing but 1 backpack (I am determined to go lighter or at least as-light as Cape Town - wish me luck)
  • Submit draft to Prof. Jackass
  • Wrap up particular work issue that has been dangling
  • Hand over my Grand Mattress duties to the Assistant GM
  • Lose 1kg

Now I have to stop writing because I gots to get on the shizzle.

Labels: ,

0 Responses to “I think I've discovered a new tactic...”

Post a Comment



© 2006